The Reference 6SN7 Thread
May 2, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #4,261 of 9,985
Funny how that always seems to be the case with you. Dammit, pick a favourite that's easy to find for once!
He normally starts with good will until he like the tube and board it 😀

May 2, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #4,262 of 9,985
+1 for Psvane - their tubes are excellent. (Better than many NOS tubes IMHO, but that's a dangerous thing to say here :))

There's also a new company called Linlai that supposedly was founded by people who used to work for Psvane (which sounds promising), but I haven't heard any of their tubes.
In fact the PSvane is more SS sounding (clean, fast, responsive) than euphoric, not sure it’s a good thing though

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #4,263 of 9,985
That's why having a variety of tubes with different sound palettes is desirable so as to be able to massage the sound to one's liking to suit the music, recording qualities, etc.

May 2, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #4,264 of 9,985
Funny how that always seems to be the case with you. Dammit, pick a favourite that’s easy to find for once that @bcowen hasn’t monopolised !

May 2, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #4,265 of 9,985
That's why having a variety of tubes with different sound palettes is desirable so as to be able to massage the sound to one's liking to suit the music, recording qualities, etc.
Definitely! I have a spreadsheet which lists often played CDs (jazz / R&B / blues) and which tubes (on which h/p/a) I prefer for those CDs. I will not go, however, to the ultimate in EAR (extra-anal-retention): the list by track.

May 2, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #4,266 of 9,985
You'll know you have a problem when you spend more time critiquing tubes and then updating, sorting, creating pivot tables and graphs for the spreadsheet than you do actually 'listening' to the music. :wink:

May 2, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #4,267 of 9,985
For Jazz lovers (non Marilyn Manson fans) Radio Swiss Jazz is highly recommended streaming AAC. This way you can listen more to music and argue less about filling tables lol

May 2, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #4,268 of 9,985
You'll know you have a problem when you spend more time critiquing tubes and then updating, sorting, creating pivot tables and graphs for the spreadsheet than you do actually 'listening' to the music. :wink:
I would say that anyone, including me, who posts here more than occasionally “has a problem**” 🤪😆!

** music, adapters, amps, headphones, tubes...

May 2, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #4,269 of 9,985
I would say that anyone, including me, who posts here more than occasionally “has a problem**” 🤪😆!

Am sure this forum was much less active during the pre-COVID era 😂😂

Last edited:
May 2, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #4,270 of 9,985
And the last I heard from Head-fi is that they decided to change this thread subject but even that is hard giving the variety of subjects discussed around lol
Probably if they kick us all out, more casual (aka normal) members would be able to mention the Darkvoice for a change 🤣🤣🤣🤣

May 2, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #4,271 of 9,985
I bought the Lin Lai E-6SN7 paired with the Mullards 6080 on the Feliks Euforia
Compared to the Ps vane, I prefer the Lin Lai.
Because they are not as neutral in sound and are bass poor.
The Lin Lai are a bit warmer and more powerful in the bass.
In the mids and trebles, they are quite faithful to the Ps Vane and have a more organic sound.
A little less shrill than the Ps Vane and simply fuller and more rounded in sound.
They also sound more musical but still on point and precise.

The tube tends to be suitable for neutral headphones in the tuning like the Audeze Lcd 2C you are with the tubes exactly what the Lcd 2 needs.
With dynamic headphones I haven't heard that much but I would say they are a bit fatter in sound but still subtle.

Nothing against the Ps vane, for headphones I find them too neutral and sharp, so more analytical and more useful for stereo amplifiers with speakers.
Also due to the volume of the speakers and the space that has to be filled, the Ps vane are probably more suitable.
But the Lin Lai would also find its fans in this area without a doubt.

If you have enough space you should try them out and you won't be disappointed.
Personally, in a neutral tuned amplifier, they are a win. as with the Feliks Euforia as an example, it has gained so clearly.

Of course, it's all a matter of taste.
This much I can say after listening to both tubes for over 100 hours, the Lin Lai are simply better, as described above.
The Lin Lai didn't make any problems in the first 100 hours and even after two hours it already showed the way to go, which was not the case with the Ps Vane.
There is also a rumour that the Ps Vane recovers and unfolds again.
I could not find that with the Lin Lai.

I am very satisfied with the E6SN7, which is well worth the money.
And I will buy another set.

May 2, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #4,272 of 9,985
I bought the Lin Lai E-6SN7 paired with the Mullards 6080 on the Feliks Euforia
Compared to the Ps vane, I prefer the Lin Lai.
Because they are not as neutral in sound and are bass poor.
The Lin Lai are a bit warmer and more powerful in the bass.
In the mids and trebles, they are quite faithful to the Ps Vane and have a more organic sound.
A little less shrill than the Ps Vane and simply fuller and more rounded in sound.
They also sound more musical but still on point and precise.

The tube tends to be suitable for neutral headphones in the tuning like the Audeze Lcd 2C you are with the tubes exactly what the Lcd 2 needs.
With dynamic headphones I haven't heard that much but I would say they are a bit fatter in sound but still subtle.

Nothing against the Ps vane, for headphones I find them too neutral and sharp, so more analytical and more useful for stereo amplifiers with speakers.
Also due to the volume of the speakers and the space that has to be filled, the Ps vane are probably more suitable.
But the Lin Lai would also find its fans in this area without a doubt.

If you have enough space you should try them out and you won't be disappointed.
Personally, in a neutral tuned amplifier, they are a win. as with the Feliks Euforia as an example, it has gained so clearly.

Of course, it's all a matter of taste.
This much I can say after listening to both tubes for over 100 hours, the Lin Lai are simply better, as described above.
The Lin Lai didn't make any problems in the first 100 hours and even after two hours it already showed the way to go, which was not the case with the Ps Vane.
There is also a rumour that the Ps Vane recovers and unfolds again.
I could not find that with the Lin Lai.

I am very satisfied with the E6SN7, which is well worth the money.
And I will buy another set.
Great - thanks for sharing! It definitely sounds like I will need to get one of their 6SN7s - and probably a 274B as well. Did you buy the tubes directly from their store in China?

May 2, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #4,273 of 9,985
Great - thanks for sharing! It definitely sounds like I will need to get one of their 6SN7s - and probably a 274B as well. Did you buy the tubes directly from their store in China?
Currently, they are only available from Lin Lai or Premiumvacuumtubes from Canada.

I preferred Canada also because I already had contact there and for logistical reasons.
I originally wanted to take the Golden Tresor and then changed my mind at short notice.
Because I didn't want a second pair of Ps vane, so to speak.
At least I read something about it.

In the end, this belly decision was the right one.

May 2, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #4,274 of 9,985
Definitely! I have a spreadsheet which lists often played CDs (jazz / R&B / blues) and which tubes (on which h/p/a) I prefer for those CDs. I will not go, however, to the ultimate in EAR (extra-anal-retention): the list by track.
Um, no offense, but you might have already exceeded EAR. :smile:

May 2, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #4,275 of 9,985

There are worse problems to have. Like Barbie collections. Still waiting for @Ripper2860 to post pictures of his, but assume he hasn't yet received the mega-super-extra-wide angle lens needed to capture it all. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back