The Reference 6J5 Thread (L63, 6C5, 12J5, 6P5, etc.)
Nov 23, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #1,726 of 4,180
I finally broke down and picked up a pair of Marconi L63 grey glass. It has been a while since I have listened to my well used B65 but my gut feeling is that tonally the two are close to identical. The usual 6J5 advantages, such as improved separation and imaging, apply of course. I fully expect the prices on these to keep quickly climbing skyward as more and more people realize they can get the B65 sound through adapter usage.
That's right! And having a pair of B65, I was looking for something that would sound similar without me having a minor heart attack every time I pulled the tubes out of a box and put them into a tube socket. Then I discovered the GEC/Marconi 6J5/L63 and various reports on the Internet that said how good 6J5/L63 were in general. Then came the adapters for the WA22 I had at the time, and then came an amp (or two...) that didn't need adapters for 6J5.

Nov 23, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #1,727 of 4,180
Does anybody recognize this tube, branded Philips. Who might have made it?

455920936_7fbc920b-3a99-4b5d-9028-656f5e910355.jpg

I have just bought it, out of curiosity, but it isn't delivered yet. Also bought another, supposed to have been manufactured by National Union.

455920535_16b2bd9f-534b-42cd-a742-690ccbd55ed1.jpg

Photos from the auction.
The 'Philips 6J5GT/G arrived prematurely and has an assymetric 'sheet metal' bottom getter. Don't know how to describe the shape. Six-sided, with a little bulb in the middle.
The NU 6C5GT/G has a two letter code on the metal socket beside National Union. First letter could be M, N or H and second is C.

Nov 25, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #1,728 of 4,180
Happy thanksgiving gentleman will be getting an Airmid from Keenan, made some arrangements with him sometime in January or February! So I am preplanning an appropriate tube roll. Trying to get some recommendations. Will be running it with My ZMF leopardwood VC's using a Wywires platinum harness. I have heard Monster's take on the GEC 6J5's and the Tung Sol 5998's. Any other suggestions?

Thanks and Happy Listening,

jgwtriode

Nov 25, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #1,729 of 4,180
Happy thanksgiving gentleman will be getting an Airmid from Keenan, made some arrangements with him sometime in January or February! So I am preplanning an appropriate tube roll. Trying to get some recommendations. Will be running it with My ZMF leopardwood VC's using a Wywires platinum harness. I have heard Monster's take on the GEC 6J5's and the Tung Sol 5998's. Any other suggestions?

jgwtriode
You're in for a treat. Congrats!

Nov 25, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #1,730 of 4,180

jgwtriode
Congrats!!!!

I haven't heard the GEC 6J5's so can't comment on those. The Tung Sol 5998 is one of my favorites...ballsy and very dynamic with a natural sounding top end. To my ears it lacks a bit of color in the mids compared to some others, but that's more a function of preference and synergy than anything else. A Chatham 6AS7G is always a good bet. Not the rocker that the 5998 is, but has that finesse and harmonic texture in the mids in spades, and can still be found for reasonably sane prices on occasion. The Bendix slotted graphite plate 6080 is another fave. Only issue is that it takes a good 20 minutes to warm up each time to fully strut its stuff, and the patience that requires is beyond my capability at times. :laughing:

Nov 27, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #1,731 of 4,180
I finally broke down and picked up a pair of Marconi L63 grey glass. It has been a while since I have listened to my well used B65 but my gut feeling is that tonally the two are close to identical. The usual 6J5 advantages, such as improved separation and imaging, apply of course. I fully expect the prices on these to keep quickly climbing skyward as more and more people realize they can get the B65 sound through adapter usage.

To my ears they sound substantially different from the GEC L63 straight glass too. The presentation is quite a bit different IMO. The GEC presents with a much denser stage and dare I say is superior at pulling out low level texture detail. The Marconi grey glass is quite a bit more open and airy. Hard to really call one better than the other..... I think a better way to think of it would be in terms of what headphones you are matching them to. Paired with something that is already very open sounding like an HD800 I could see the Marconi leaning to the thin side, so the GEC would probably provide a nice counterbalance there for example.

The coke bottle Raytheons, especially the round plate version, are actually fairly close to the Marconi tonal presentation too. Not super close, but there is definitely a resemblance compared to some of the others that are clearly different flavors. Mostly the Marconi is just one step higher in overall refinement and finesse, but you certainly pay a premium for what is ultimately a fairly subtle improvement.

I'm glad I stopped hunting for a pristine pair that I would then not want to actually use in an amp. The ones I have test well but kind of look like mutts so I will have no qualms actually running them when I feel like it. :)

You are going to love these tubes...these are at the top of their class IMO. I splurged for three pair since I liked them so well and I am using them in my OTL.
Wish I could use them in my SET as well.

DSC06151.JPG

Nov 29, 2021 at 11:52 PM Post #1,732 of 4,180
Just got a pair of Brimar branded 6J5GT tubes (no visible codes). Based on how they look and internal construction they are Ken-Rad VT-94 tubes from the mid 40s.
After playing for a couple of hours one tube started to develop a greyish shadow on top - I assume that it will turn into a black spot later.
11636086.png

11636090.png

I have been told this is called anode boiloff and is not detrimental to the lifespan of the tube. (If the tube has a cleartop it indicates that it is not new = NOS; with a getter flash on top I don't think that you can see it).
Why does this happen?

Nov 30, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #1,733 of 4,180
Just got a pair of Brimar branded 6J5GT tubes (no visible codes). Based on how they look and internal construction they are Ken-Rad VT-94 tubes from the mid 40s.
After playing for a couple of hours one tube started to develop a greyish shadow on top - I assume that it will turn into a black spot later.
11636086.png

11636090.png

I have been told this is called anode boiloff and is not detrimental to the lifespan of the tube. (If the tube has a cleartop it indicates that it is not new = NOS; with a getter flash on top I don't think that you can see it).
Why does this happen?

Nice tubes.

Yeah, if these clear top tubes have no mark it is NOS. Someone else will have to chime in about what process exactly cause's this...I have heard before, but can't remember :smile:

Nov 30, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #1,734 of 4,180
It can be an indicator of whether or not a tube is truly NOS, but it is definitely not a reliable one. Some tubes have some of their getter flash boil off and redeposit at the top of the tube, but it doesn't happen with all tubes. This process can also happen either slowly or quickly. FWIW this seems to be a thing with British made tubes more than American ones in my experience.

Coincidentally I recently grabbed an ST glass version of those same Ken-Rad VT94s and one tube darkened its glass top almost immediately where as the other didn't. About 50 hours in now the one tube has actually silvered the top of its glass quite a bit while its partner is still completely clear on top so this process isn't even consistent within the same type and make of tube.

I wonder if the quality/hardness of the vacuum has something to do with it. It might be somewhat of an indicator of whether the tube will have an above or below average lifespan if it is.

As an aside I am actually a little disappointed in how these sound, assuming they really are Ken-Rads. This doesn't have the Ken-Rad house sound to my ears. Mine have those copper straps connecting the micas to the plates which is a pretty distinctive construction trait.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #1,735 of 4,180
As an aside I am actually a little disappointed in how these sound, assuming they really are Ken-Rads. This doesn't have the Ken-Rad house sound to my ears. Mine have those copper straps connecting the micas to the plates which is a pretty distinctive construction trait.
I second the sound.. I quickly sold the couple pairs of Ken-Rad 6J5GTs after listening. They were some of the first 6J5s that I purchased. I believe I had shiny black and gray plate versions. However, some may vary in construction/sound. I just didn’t like mine much.

Nov 30, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #1,736 of 4,180
I second the sound.. I quickly sold the couple pairs of Ken-Rad 6J5GTs after listening. They were some of the first 6J5s that I purchased. I believe I had shiny black and gray plate versions. However, some may vary in construction/sound. I just didn’t like mine much.
The 6J5GT tubes I have are from the early or mid 40s. The bases were shiny but corrode easily; the plates are black and ladder style. With a sixpack of Melz 6N12S they sound excellent in my GOTL. (As always synergy is paramount as well as the amp you are using.)
Here is a representative picture of the tube (mine aren't as corroded):
s-l1600.jpg

Nov 30, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #1,737 of 4,180
They don't sound bad per se, but they are forward in the upper mids in a way that doesn't mesh well at all with either my preferences or the headphones I was using. I generally use the DT880-600 with this amp pretty exclusively, but funny enough today I had the Ethers in here to do some troubleshooting (they're exhibiting a channel imbalance). The Ken-Rads suit this headphone quite a bit better. I still wouldn't call this a flavor I would seek out deliberately but it works a lot better on this headphone than it did on the Beyer. Too bad the channel imbalance wasn't present............ which means the problem is in the amp at home. Fun.

Nov 30, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #1,740 of 4,180
Thanks Monster I appreciate it. What tubes would you recommend as best option for the VC's. Looking forward to listening to it as soon as possible,
Appreciate your review that started the process of communicating with Keenan. He is awesome.

Thanks again,

jgwtriode
My fav tube combo on the Airmid was a pair of GEC L63 and a pair of 5998s. There seems to be a few variations of the GEC l63, but these are the ones I have.

20211130_170713.jpg

The other tubes I tried, including Bendix 6080s, Ken Rad 6J5, Tung Sol black can 6J5, and Sylvania 6J5s, did not impress me much on this amp.
FWIW, my impressions were based on the Verite open. My VC wasn't doing well when I had the Airmid, and has since been returned to ZMF for some driver replacements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back