The Reference 6J5 Thread (L63, 6C5, 12J5, 6P5, etc.)
May 10, 2021 at 9:58 PM Post #1,486 of 4,180
More Mullard:

IMG_6298.jpg

May 10, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #1,489 of 4,180
I believe these are also Mullard? Foil getter.

This one's quite interesting. I think the Mullard tubes have those extra support rods quite consistently and they're absent here. We have a notably different bottom mica which looks like it was design for those extra support straps you often see on the RCA/GE models, but the supports themselves are not here. The grid posts are copper too, Mullard tubes typically use steel here.

It actually looks a lot like a Ken-Rad to my eyes, but I would not go so far as to suggest it is one because there is no evidence that Ken-Rad tubes were ever exported and re-branded during the time Ken-Rad was actually making these.

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #1,491 of 4,180
This one's quite interesting. I think the Mullard tubes have those extra support rods quite consistently and they're absent here. We have a notably different bottom mica which looks like it was design for those extra support straps you often see on the RCA/GE models, but the supports themselves are not here. The grid posts are copper too, Mullard tubes typically use steel here.

It actually looks a lot like a Ken-Rad to my eyes, but I would not go so far as to suggest it is one because there is no evidence that Ken-Rad tubes were ever exported and re-branded during the time Ken-Rad was actually making these.
Boom! You nailed it. I also took photos of my US metal base tubes and indeed this is the same construction as KenRad. Will post up the photos tomorrow.

May 11, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #1,492 of 4,180
Awesome tube pron @leftside

At some point I need to add a pair of Mullard 6J5G

May 11, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #1,494 of 4,180
For me. This would be.
Mullard. Brimar. Sylvania.

I can see that....love the extra support rods on all of those Mullards....sexy!

May 11, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #1,495 of 4,180
I believe these are also Mullard? Foil getter.

IMG_6292.jpgIMG_6293.jpg
My 'Brimar' 6J5GT/G that I have posted about previously look to my uneducated eye the same as these. They seem to have some kind of bottom getter on the same side as the foil. This can also be seen in one of the links to that bay that I posted previously. They are marked with white lettering and numbers inside on the pinched glass structure. The one I am looking at now says A43. (I'm sorry, I haven't found my Kodak Instamatic yet)

The orange lettering on the glass rubs easily off. It says Brimar BVA. To the left of this you find 10 and below 10 you find 1. To the left of 1 is a 4. It's not 41. Some letters above Brimar has almost totally rubbed of. The metal base is corroded. The remnants of the text on it is also orange.

A photo says more than a thousand words...

May 11, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #1,496 of 4,180

Same as KenRad. KenRad making tubes for Brimar....

IMG_6287.jpg

IMG_6289.jpg

May 11, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #1,497 of 4,180
For me. This would be.
Mullard. Brimar. Sylvania.
I wasn't sure about the tube on the far right. So here we have another US manufacturer, in this case Sylvania making a tube for Mullard... And here's a Sylvania tube marked Sylvania (same construction as the Sylvania/"Mullard" from above).

Sylvania 1.jpg
Sylvania 2.jpg

May 11, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #1,498 of 4,180
My 'Brimar' 6J5GT/G that I have posted about previously look to my uneducated eye the same as these. They seem to have some kind of bottom getter on the same side as the foil. This can also be seen in one of the links to that bay that I posted previously. They are marked with white lettering and numbers inside on the pinched glass structure. The one I am looking at now says A43. (I'm sorry, I haven't found my Kodak Instamatic yet)

The orange lettering on the glass rubs easily off. It says Brimar BVA. To the left of this you find 10 and below 10 you find 1. To the left of 1 is a 4. It's not 41. Some letters above Brimar has almost totally rubbed of. The metal base is corroded. The remnants of the text on it is also orange.

A photo says more than a thousand words...
If your "Brimars" are identical to these, then they are also actually KenRad manufactured. Good tubes btw.

May 11, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #1,499 of 4,180
If your "Brimars" are identical to these, then they are also actually KenRad manufactured. Good tubes btw.
They look the same or very similar. Do these have a sheet metal bottom getter with a wart on it? Any lettering on the pinched glass innards?

Now the question is; who made these for Ken-Rad? (I seem to remember that one of the auctions I linked to previously was a Ken-Rad and the other a Brimar).

May 11, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #1,500 of 4,180
They look the same or very similar. Do these have a sheet metal bottom getter with a wart on it?
Yes - foil getter. You can just about make it out in the pics. I'll check for any lettering, but can't remember seeing any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back