The Reference 6J5 Thread (L63, 6C5, 12J5, 6P5, etc.)
Apr 21, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #1,426 of 4,180
S
A

This is all that is on the tubes other than the Arcturus name and I am not even positive the top letter is S for sure as it is a bit worn.
Nobody is going to contradict me on this lol - we just don't know, but here is an uneducated guess. Let's guess that the first letter is the month and the second the year. Going down the alphabet from Jan - Dec and skipping the letter I because it looks like 1, we end up with A through M. Starting again from N through Z S represents May.
Make the A 1940 and SA = May 1940.
I have a 6N7G Arcturus in the original observatory box:
1619020701561.png

The x-shaped micas are unique. The date code is N 4
R 4
Using the same formula as above, N = January and R = 1938. The truth is that R does not fit into the system, but 4 + 4 = 8. This tube came out in 1936 och Arcturus went bankrupt around 1942 so somewhere in the middle sound about right. I am pretty sure that this is not a rebranded tube because of the mica shape which I could not find elsewhere with 6N7G tubes.

But this is a 6C5 etc thread so back to that. Here is a 6C5MG AirCastle tube which I am sure was made by Arcturus in their Coronet series:
1619021544265.png

The display stand is included in the price.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aircastle-...976022?hash=item217cfe8616:g:sDYAAOSwKwZfqFg-

PS: Please don't take my dating excercise seriously - only intended as a humorous attempt to decipher the unknown.

Apr 22, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #1,427 of 4,180
For anyone curious what the inside of their ST-shaped gray glass L63 looks like but doesn't want to sacrifice a tube to find out, I present to you the somewhat rare clear glass version.

0422210826.jpg

0422210827a.jpg

0422210827c.jpg

0422210828.jpg

0422210829_Burst01.jpg

Apr 25, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #1,430 of 4,180
Been a while since I posted any pictures.

IMG_6237.jpg
Love the original boxes for these. That is one area where I've not always had such good luck - getting perfect original boxes.

Apr 26, 2021 at 2:31 PM Post #1,431 of 4,180
Love the original boxes for these. That is one area where I've not always had such good luck - getting perfect original boxes.
Most of my tubes don't have the original boxes - maybe 10% - 20%. And if they do have the boxes, I tend not to use the tubes and keep them preserved as historical artifacts.

I'll see what other 6J5/L63/etc I have with boxes and post up a pic. I think I have a 6J5 family of GEC/Marconi variation 1/Marconi variation 2/Osram. I think it would be very difficult to collect a "complete set" due to the amount of Marconi and Osram label differences. Then there are all the military versions as well... Even my OCD said "stop - enough is enough" :). Same with the KT66 tubes. Funnily enough, there just seems to be two different GEC labels for the KT88 tubes - thankfully!! But, there are multiple construction variations...

Apr 29, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #1,432 of 4,180
Guys, anyone compared the brown glass Fivre 6C5G from Langrex with black glass Fivre 6C5G? Any difference? How do those sound?
I might make an order to Langrex and I was thinking to grab a pair, I have no idea which one. Many thanks in advance.
I have at the moment only GEC L63 grey glass black base and clear glass brown base and I want to extend a little bit the collection.

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #1,433 of 4,180
Guys, anyone compared the brown glass Fivre 6C5G from Langrex with black glass Fivre 6C5G? Any difference? How do those sound?
I might make an order to Langrex and I was thinking to grab a pair, I have no idea which one. Many thanks in advance.
I have at the moment only GEC L63 grey glass black base and clear glass brown base and I want to extend a little bit the collection.
Hey @OctavianH - hope all is well. Looks like you are enjoying tube/amp-land well these days!

Unfortunately, I've not compared black/brown. I have the black ones only and I like them. I think I like them > the Fivre metal base 6J5GTs FYG.

YMMV, etc.

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #1,434 of 4,180
Hey @OctavianH - hope all is well. Looks like you are enjoying tube/amp-land well these days!

Unfortunately, I've not compared black/brown. I have the black ones only and I like them. I think I like them > the Fivre metal base 6J5GTs FYG.

YMMV, etc.

Yes, I have some new land to explore and this gives me additional excitement and energy. If I remember correctly what you wrote at that time about the Fivre metal base 6J5GT you mentioned those are quite bright and I think you compared them with C3g. Are these black base ones in the same category? Just an idea, for me GEC L63 brown base clear glass is warm, full bodied.

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #1,435 of 4,180
The metal base 6J5GT in the GOTL at least was lacking some "oomph" in the lower end or warmth in general perhaps. That said, perhaps I was too aggressive in saying they were C3G-like. In the Blue Halo, they are a bit more balanced/good. The GEC L63 brown-base tubes are not so much warm IMO, maybe a touch, but they are nicely bodied as you say. Does your current amp have CCS or not? My GOTL didn't have CCS in it and the Blue Halo does. It makes a difference in how I've interpreted these tubes. Many older comments come from the GOTL, more recently on the Blue Halo. I can tailor comments a bit better if I understand CCS/no-CCS and I can guess/extrapolate to your current listening environment. Perhaps you have one of those amps where you change the settings to be biased for each tube and so on?

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #1,436 of 4,180
As far as I know my amp does not have CCS, but I am able to bias it manually. Not per tube, but per stage (this means all outputs or all inputs). To be able to bias closely a pair, I usually find a medium value for the grid bias voltage in order for a tube to achieve a specific desired current level and adjust it. I come from the "auto-bias" world, so this mechanism is something new for me. But I learn. :)

Apr 29, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #1,437 of 4,180
The metal base 6J5GT in the GOTL at least was lacking some "oomph" in the lower end or warmth in general perhaps. That said, perhaps I was too aggressive in saying they were C3G-like. In the Blue Halo, they are a bit more balanced/good. The GEC L63 brown-base tubes are not so much warm IMO, maybe a touch, but they are nicely bodied as you say. Does your current amp have CCS or not? My GOTL didn't have CCS in it and the Blue Halo does. It makes a difference in how I've interpreted these tubes. Many older comments come from the GOTL, more recently on the Blue Halo. I can tailor comments a bit better if I understand CCS/no-CCS and I can guess/extrapolate to your current listening environment. Perhaps you have one of those amps where you change the settings to be biased for each tube and so on?
Hey @chrisdrop have you had a chance to compare the Fivre 6C5G shouldered vs straight tubes? I'm a huge fan of the Five 6C5G shouldered tubes and was wondering if it would a redundant purchase and or if you prefer one over the other.

Apr 29, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #1,439 of 4,180
In general I find 6C5 and 76 to have a lighter and more airy sound than 6J5 with my amp and gear
I have almost zero experience with 6J5/6C5. They are new territory for me. I have only listened to a pair of 'Brimar' branded 6J5GT/G mentioned previously, and now one JAN-CRC-6C5, one JAN-CKR-6C5, these two 6C5 as a pair, and just swapped the Ken-Rad for a 6J5G 'S.T.C. 101' 10 E/348 supposed to be Brimar. My impression with this is contrary to leftsides; the 6C5 is meatier than 6J5/6J5G. Might be the Ken-Rad? As I said - zero experience. Just wanted to share that zero experience. Thats is where you all started.
I have three meatball JAN-CRC-6C5 so I will do a proper session with them later. Just mixing and unmatching right now. The 6J5G was a gift from the person that sold me the 6C5. It had a broken key. That sounds 'orrible. Have to find another.

This is how it looks but I will not buy this. I want another as cheap as the first one: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265017950134?hash=item3db44cffb6:g:SdoAAOSwiAZgBJ49

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2021 at 2:04 AM Post #1,440 of 4,180
Does your current amp have CCS or not?

I think my answer from yesterday was not correct, so I had to ask and come back with a proper answer. I have to admit that I am no expert in tube amp design and I just scratch the surface. I use at the moment an amplifier made by UltraSonic Studios, I have asked and found that it does have a couple of CCSs inside as well as the grid drivers are CCS loaded. When I answered yesterday I was thinking at a previous discussion when he told me my amp will not have the CCS tail of the other designs.

I think I'll have to read more from The Valve Wizard!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back