The Reference 6J5 Thread (L63, 6C5, 12J5, 6P5, etc.)
Apr 15, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #1,381 of 4,180
Here is an interesting report by the U.K. Competition Commission from 1956 on British tube makers engaging in monopolistic practices. Despite the hostile lens of the report there is quite a bit of rich historical information. Their website no longer works, but I was able to find a copy on the wayback machine. Each chapter is broken into a different file. If you change the last two digits of the file name in the url you can access the various chapters. Here are some that stood out after a quick skim:

chronological history of British tube companies. Last section at lists all the BVA manufacturers...
http://web.archive.org/web/20071024...rep_pub/reports/1950_1959/fulltext/020c02.pdf

stats on # valves produced and # of people employees by valve industry...
http://web.archive.org/web/20090204...rep_pub/reports/1950_1959/fulltext/020c04.pdf

On exclusivity...
http://web.archive.org/web/20090204...rep_pub/reports/1950_1959/fulltext/020c06.pdf

On imports... last paragraph talks about how British wholesalers are not allowed to deal in imported tubes from the USA or other parts of Europe...
http://web.archive.org/web/20090204...rep_pub/reports/1950_1959/fulltext/020c10.pdf

Conclusion that British valve companies engaged in anti-competitive practices with some stats on production & import/export:
http://web.archive.org/web/20090204...rep_pub/reports/1950_1959/fulltext/020c16.pdf

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #1,382 of 4,180
Here is an interesting report by the U.K. Competition Commission from 1956 on British tube makers engaging in monopolistic practices. Despite the hostile lens of the report there is quite a bit of rich historical information. Their website no longer works, but I was able to find a copy on the wayback machine. Each chapter is broken into a different file. If you change the last two digits of the file name in the url you can access the various chapters. Here are some that stood out after a quick skim:

chronological history of British tube companies. Last section at lists all the BVA manufacturers...
http://web.archive.org/web/20071024...rep_pub/reports/1950_1959/fulltext/020c02.pdf

stats on # valves produced and # of people employees by valve industry...
http://web.archive.org/web/20090204...rep_pub/reports/1950_1959/fulltext/020c04.pdf

On exclusivity...
http://web.archive.org/web/20090204...rep_pub/reports/1950_1959/fulltext/020c06.pdf

On imports... last paragraph talks about how British wholesalers are not allowed to deal in imported tubes from the USA or other parts of Europe...
http://web.archive.org/web/20090204...rep_pub/reports/1950_1959/fulltext/020c10.pdf

Conclusion that British valve companies engaged in anti-competitive practices with some stats on production & import/export:
http://web.archive.org/web/20090204...rep_pub/reports/1950_1959/fulltext/020c16.pdf

Very interesting indeed...

Apr 15, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #1,383 of 4,180
It can be a bit hard to see, but the tubes in rain's photos do have rivets for their support posts. They're visible in at least one of those photos. All else being equal the Brimar tubes are the easiest to spot by far because nothing else shares a plate style with them.

Apr 15, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #1,384 of 4,180
I am currently listening to the replacements (4 & 5) and initial impressions are very good. Quite resolving with a rich, smooth, airy presentation with a romantic decay. Very easy on the ears with a great dynamic punch in bass heavy tracks. I will try the flat plate versions (assuming they are Raytheon) later to compare to see if I hear a difference in sound.

My initial impression of the CV1067 (the grey coated glass) late last year was good too. But then, other 6J5/6C5 type tubes arrived, and the CV1067's...were forgotten until a week ago. Since then, I've been keeping them on the C2A, and they have certainly opened up a bit more...more spacious than before. But not as spacious as the 6J5MG's (at least in my system). Not sure if keeping them on the C2A any longer would change that. However, the dynamic punch sound is much more pronounced than the 6J5MG. Still, the sound is great, and I'm not complaining.

I would love to hear your comparison with the flat plate versions of the "Raytheon" 6J5G later if it's not too much to ask. I have a pair of metal base 6S2S coming in, and I think @bcowen has the black base version of the Russian 6J5 tube IINM. Looking forward to trying out those soon.

Apr 15, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #1,385 of 4,180
Read through the last several pages with interest - especially the comments of Xcalibur255. Thanks for the comprehensive analysis!
Decided to look through my stash of 6J5GT tubes. The truth is that when I found out about the great sound of single triodes vs dual triodes I bought mainly the metal ones since the ugly ducklings were very inexpensive.
However, I picked up some GT and G tubes as well. In looking for the acclaimed Tung-Sol tubes I did not find any 6J5GT (does anybody know who could have a made a tube labelled WIZARD?) but I did find a pair of 6C5GT Tung- Sol tubes.
Does anybody know how these compare to the TS 6J5GT tubes?

The discussion on the thread has mainly been about 6J5GT tubes, but my impression is that the all metal 6J5 tubes can hold their own very well in comparison with the GT tubes although they will never win the beauty contest lol. Especially not the rusty ones...

Apr 15, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #1,386 of 4,180
The only reason I don't buy the metal can versions is because I want to be able to see the internal structure of the tube. Even if it has a major brand stamped on it there's no way to actually verify because there was so much re-branding. On one hand if it sounds good it sounds good whoever made it, but what I'm really driving at is preventing mis-matches with tubes that have two different internal plate construction types. On the outside they may be marked the same way but on the inside one might be substantially different than the other.

It certainly doesn't cost much to play this lottery though, so to each his own. Those metal can tubes shouldn't be going to waste since many of them will indeed sound great.

Apr 15, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #1,387 of 4,180
It can be a bit hard to see, but the tubes in rain's photos do have rivets for their support posts. They're visible in at least one of those photos. All else being equal the Brimar tubes are the easiest to spot by far because nothing else shares a plate style with them.

These rivets? Where are they?

brimar-2.png

Apr 15, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #1,390 of 4,180
My initial impression of the CV1067 (the grey coated glass) late last year was good too. But then, other 6J5/6C5 type tubes arrived, and the CV1067's...were forgotten until a week ago. Since then, I've been keeping them on the C2A, and they have certainly opened up a bit more...more spacious than before. But not as spacious as the 6J5MG's (at least in my system). Not sure if keeping them on the C2A any longer would change that. However, the dynamic punch sound is much more pronounced than the 6J5MG. Still, the sound is great, and I'm not complaining.

I would love to hear your comparison with the flat plate versions of the "Raytheon" 6J5G later if it's not too much to ask. I have a pair of metal base 6S2S coming in, and I think @bcowen has the black base version of the Russian 6J5 tube IINM. Looking forward to trying out those soon.
Good memory! I have some that are labeled Pinnacle, but with the UFO getters they are most definitely Russian 6S2S's (Pinnacle was a UK marketing brand I think, although not a manufacturer). These were dirt cheap and sound quite nice. Not like they'll ever displace the GEC L63's or Tung Sol 6J5's, but overall they have a nice balance, good bass, and impart a good amount of toe-tap especially with rock and metal.

Pinnacle 6J5 UFO.jpg

I've seen 3 different versions of these Pinnacle branded 6J5's. The phenolic-base ones like I have, some metal-base versions, and then another that appears to have a painted metal base. I've only heard the plastic based ones above, so don't know how the others compare. Even with the poor photos you can see significant internal differences between them.

Pinnacle Metal Base.jpg

Pinnacle Metal Base 2.jpg

Apr 15, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #1,391 of 4,180
However, I picked up some GT and G tubes as well. In looking for the acclaimed Tung-Sol tubes I did not find any 6J5GT (does anybody know who could have a made a tube labelled WIZARD?) but I did find a pair of 6C5GT Tung- Sol tubes.

I’ve been wondering about those WIZARD tubes too, especially the 6J5G’s, their internal constructions are identical to the visseaux/mazda/neotron 6J5G’s based on the photos I’ve seen.

edit: scratch that, they are not similar, huge differences.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #1,392 of 4,180
Good memory! I have some that are labeled Pinnacle, but with the UFO getters they are most definitely Russian 6S2S's (Pinnacle was a UK marketing brand I think, although not a manufacturer). These were dirt cheap and sound quite nice. Not like they'll ever displace the GEC L63's or Tung Sol 6J5's, but overall they have a nice balance, good bass, and impart a good amount of toe-tap especially with rock and metal.

Pinnacle 6J5 UFO.jpg

Here’s a photo of the NEVZ 6s2s tubes from the seller. Similar internal construction and you can definitely see the UFO getters in there. Still relatively cheap but the prices are increasing.

D593B23F-64D0-4845-9BCD-4F9C3CDB409B.jpeg

Apr 15, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #1,393 of 4,180
I’ve been wondering about those WIZARD tubes too, especially the 6J5G’s, their internal constructions are identical to the visseaux/mazda/neotron 6J5G’s based on the photos I’ve seen.
The WIZARD tube I have has a black ladder plate with two holes, side getter and is made in USA with a date code _
P0
1618519870114.png

Sylvania? P0 = March 1940?
A search of Wizard vacuum tubes (apart for tubes for sale) only leads to Thomas Edison - the wizard of Menlo Park...

Apr 15, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #1,395 of 4,180
The WIZARD tube I have has a black ladder plate with two holes, side getter and is made in USA with a date code _
P0

Sylvania? P0 = March 1940?
A search of Wizard vacuum tubes (apart for tubes for sale) only leads to Thomas Edison - the wizard of Menlo Park...

Upon further checking, although the WIZARD 6J5G has a similar concept/shape for the spacers with the visseaux/mazda 6J5G, but there are significant differences in the internal construction, i.e. different plate, supports, etc.

Edit: here’s some more related info from radiomuseum.org

“Wizard brand tubes were sold by the Western Auto Supply Co. in the late 1920's but the manufacturer is not known.

Also sold were Wizard brand panel lamps. The print style on these appears to be identical to the style used by General Electric, so this company could have made these lamps.”

Probably GE...LOL

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back