The quietest solution
Mar 19, 2006 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

granodemostasa

Headphoneus Supremus
Options:
1.it has been said in the past that the best soluiton is a notebook drive in an external shell. http://www.google.com/search?client=...=Google+Search
2. Samsung hard drive in an external shell
3. LaCie Hard drive as suggested in another forum
4. a glymph hard drive, in an external shell.

I would like to get your information on these drives agaisnt each other... for example LaCie against samsung or whatnot. the criteria is quietness...that is all.
Thanks

Mar 19, 2006 at 8:41 PM Post #2 of 7
Mar 19, 2006 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 7
i was just there and decided on the samsung. thanks
Ummmm.... now the hard part.....
Okay, they have a 120 gig version of that notebook disk (M60 or M40). I'm thinking that maybe i could install it on my notebook instead of an outboard drive..... but i'm not sure if it' is compatible with the T42/or if it would take the shock protection away. i'll email some people and get back to you all.
Edit: according to IBM i could add a second hard drive in the ultra bay, however this is really expensive...... ummm....

Mar 19, 2006 at 11:18 PM Post #4 of 7
If the T42 has USB 2.0, a much cheaper solution is to put the notebook disk in an external 2.5" drive enclosure, which attaches to your T42 via a USB port. The port will also provide enough power to drive the hard disk if it's up to spec. Apparently some notebook USB ports (and perhaps even on some motherboards) don't provide enough power, so you need external power or sometimes a dual USB cable which attaches to two USB ports to get enough power.

Mar 19, 2006 at 11:39 PM Post #5 of 7
Yea, i have a great USB system.... right now the Samsung M60 100Gig version is the one i want to use.... only if i could find an enclosure that's ATA-6, USB and 2.5 inches i would be set.

Mar 20, 2006 at 1:30 AM Post #6 of 7
Grand - look at Newegg.com - there is a pile of USB external hard disk enclosures for 2.5 disks.

Find the section on external enclosures - pick 2.5 and away you go, must be at least 25-30 of them.

Mar 20, 2006 at 3:15 AM Post #7 of 7
it is done, ordered. thanks everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back