1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The quest for portable comfortable headphones. Audio Technica, AKG?

1. soundwave82
    Hello fellow head-fi`ers,

I am a Dutch (sorry for my English language) audio enthusiast who travels a lot by public transport. Now a couple of months ago I bought myself an iPod classic 160gb and since then I have been looking for a pair of portable headphones which meets the following requirements:

- comfort
    - sound quality
    - no sound leakage (must be used in public transport)
    - must be driven by an iPod classic.

In my quest for the `perfect` headphones I have had a pair of Audio Technica ATH-FC700 and I have used a pair of Audio Technica ATH-ES55 for the last month.  I really really love my ATH-ES55. They sound very good and they look very good, but their mayor flaw is the comfort level. I have tried and tried but I can`t use these cans for more than an hour before my the start hurting my ears pretty badly.

Now the problem is I want a pair of headphones that sound as good as the ATH-ES55 but are still comfortable to wear. Now that I`ve used and heared the AH-ES55 I will not settle for less, so going back to the ATH-FC700, which als become painfull after a couple of hours, is not an option. I also have experience with an AKG K414i, which I could wear for hours, but sound quality wise they are not on the same level as the Audio Technica`s.

Which of any other headphones can any of you recommend. I have heard good things about the AKG 450 but I really doubt that they sound as good as the ATH-ES55. I`m also curious about the Pioneer SE-MJ71, but the design look similar to the ATH-ES55 so they look like they will also put a lot of pressure on the ears. Anyway suggestions are very welcome because I`m really done with my ATH-ES55.

2. Armaegis
    How about moving up the ATH line and trying the ESW9? You can find them used on the forums for about $200. I found them very comfortable and very lightweight.