The Qudelix-5K thread
Jul 7, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #2,446 of 4,748
Hey all,

Out of curiosity, what is the most high end/power hungry headphones you were able to successfully drive using the Q5K? Unbalanced or balanced?

One of the hardest cans I've had to drive out of SE might be the DT770 250 Ohms while listening to one of my favorite songs, which happens to be rather quiet. Here is the song, and here was the setting, paired with a Pixel 4a:
Screenshot_20210524-001538.png

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #2,449 of 4,748
Am I doing things right?
/s

20210625_145402-1.jpg

Jul 7, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #2,450 of 4,748
Received my QX-over yesterday. The first thought was "Hope they will improve". Eventually they did. That's the story.
As somebody wrote already that "out of the box" they sounded muddy. You can imagine how muddy as said by a bass-head. Thus, take it with a grain of salt. Another thing worth mentioning is that I prefer using the EQ (which I believe is the best in the devices of this type). I am not talking a parametric (PEQ) but just GEO. To me listening to music without the equalizer is like eating food without salt, sugar, spices etc, i.e. tasteless. I had the earphones burnt in for about 9 hours. When I started to listen to music with them I could not stop. It was so immersing and dragging in that my wife told me she would use a stick to make me go to bed. I was so exited and could not fall asleep. When she did I sneaked out of the conjugal bed to continue listening to QX-Over.
These are my impressions just in "two" words. QX is worth every penny. Russians say "Ogon'" (fire as a literal translation but meaning hot hot stuff). I don't know how it is achieved but the equalizer with QX-Over is more effective than with any other earphones I used with 5K. I could be in a state of euphoria now and the status quo can change but I am enjoying them at the moment.
It looks like the QX "eats out" the 5K battery as balanced earphones. For 9 hours of playback the battery discharged from 97% to 11%. The sound stage is wider and deeper than with any dynamic driver I've ever heard.
To be continued.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #2,451 of 4,748
Jul 7, 2021 at 3:59 AM Post #2,452 of 4,748
I have got the QX-over yesterday, and I played with it a couple of hours.
The fit is Okay, though, the cable can't be set around the ear. It seals very well (much easier and better than IE900).
I think it's maybe too sealed, as pressure inside the ear canal is a bit too high and uncomfortable. I imagine the IE900, IER-Z1R and Xelento I am using usually are not totally closed and even when it's perfectly sealed in the ear, I never feel uncomfortable because of the pressure with those IEM like it is with the QX-Over.

Globally, I only use pure dynamic drivers IEM, and, unexpectedly, the QX-over is rather enjoyable to listen music with them.. I would think, for 40€ it's even rather impressive SQ... but compared to my 3 usual High End IEM ..
-> There is almost no sub frequencies (below 60hz) like IER-Z1R can produce,
-> The bass frequencies are not really speedy and quite too muddy. For sure, speed and clarity of impacts are not in the same league as my other three IEMs
-> Midrange frequencies are in a good stage level
-> High frequencies seem to be cut rather quick (cymbals, etc) I would think around 10khz or less ... my three IEM have much more information in the 8 to 12khz range than QX-over

I tried to play with Qudelix 5G PEQ to try to improve a bit both ends of frequency range ... but, there is no way to really improve speed and clarity.
I haven't found any interest with the L/R High and Low Trim, I wonder what the use of this feature can be in real life ?.

I am not sure, I will often use the QX-over, but, for sure, it's worth the 40€.. and a nice proof of concept and enjoyable to play with them a little.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021 at 4:03 AM Post #2,453 of 4,748
Should have gotten my QX-over today, but the deliver guy lost his way to my house and decided to turn back and come back tomorrow :sweat_smile:

Jul 7, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #2,456 of 4,748
Should the QX-Over stuff be in its own thread given this is about the 5K?
But this is a 100% Qudelix 5K accessory and it can't be used with anything else.. It has no meaning by itself.

Jul 8, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #2,459 of 4,748
I am the guy that wrote that they sound muddy but on the qudelix forum.

After some tinkering with the GEQ i was quite disappointed because i was unable to get rid of the massive muddy sub bass. Turns out GEQ is not powerful enough and when i switched over to PEQ the page turned and now its a different story. I have never come across a pair of headphones or IEMs that respond this well to EQ. I have been playing around with it for about two days now and i can tailor the sound character however i like as it seems.
The transient response is very impressive for "a" DD and they have a very big sound, like standing in front of a massive speaker on a festival that just washes your whole body in sound.

I cant really decide if this a fun toy or a real hit. Its a fun toy but they do still surprise me with their performance over and over again.
The fit for me is perfect. They just slide in and sit very secure. No pressure, no hotspots with medium included tips. They do stick out a little bit and i think in the winter time with a hat/beanie it would put some pressure on the IEM toward the ear.

Attachments

• eq.png
    eq.png
    152.9 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20210708_081211465.jpg
    PXL_20210708_081211465.jpg
    448.4 KB · Views: 0
  • qx-over.jpg
    qx-over.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Jul 8, 2021 at 5:26 AM Post #2,460 of 4,748
I am the guy that wrote that they sound muddy but on the qudelix forum.

After some tinkering with the GEQ i was quite disappointed because i was unable to get rid of the massive muddy sub bass. Turns out GEQ is not powerful enough and when i switched over to PEQ the page turned and now its a different story. I have never come across a pair of headphones or IEMs that respond this well to EQ. I have been playing around with it for about two days now and i can tailor the sound character however i like as it seems.
The transient response is very impressive for "a" DD and they have a very big sound, like standing in front of a massive speaker on a festival that just washes your whole body in sound.

I cant really decide if this a fun toy or a real hit. Its a fun toy but they do still surprise me with their performance over and over again.
The fit for me is perfect. They just slide in and sit very secure. No pressure, no hotspots with medium included tips. They do stick out a little bit and i think in the winter time with a hat/beanie it would put some pressure on the IEM toward the ear.
Yep to pretty much all of that. The first impression and how it evolves, also the fit which is an impressive achievement as it is as secure as anything I've ever tried out, both over ear and worn down, with no chin slider cheat!

Also I told myself the exact same thing, this is as portable a set-up as they come, tiny iems plugged into a tiny box, and what springs to mind is how it sounds and feels like a massive floor-standing system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back