The Qudelix-5K thread
Apr 8, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #2,116 of 4,741
Saw your edit. Glad it worked out.
Yeah.. Not ideal. I am totally unable to get 990kbps inside and it only went to 990 towards the end of my walk yesterday.

Apr 8, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #2,117 of 4,741
Hi folks, is there a way to turn down or turn off system sounds? The sounds it puts out through the headphones when turning on/off, pairing, low battery are rather loud in my case.
Next question - the firmware update does not work through the app on my phone. Is there a Windows version for the firmware update 1.7.2?
Many thanks!

Apr 9, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #2,119 of 4,741
Are you listening to downloaded music on Spotify?

Although I chose very high option, the Q5 shows the files are AAC 168 Kbps (instead of supposedly 320 Kbps). Do you have the same?

Apr 9, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #2,120 of 4,741
Are you listening to downloaded music on Spotify?

Although I chose very high option, the Q5 shows the files are AAC 168 Kbps (instead of supposedly 320 Kbps). Do you have the same?

Files compression schemes and audio over bluetooth codecs are two completely different things, even though in the case of AAC the compression algorithm can be used for both applications.
What you select in Spotify's options is the file compression scheme, just like what would happen when you rip a CD.
What the Qudelix 5K's input panel shows is the codec and bitrate used for audio over bluetooth.
When you receive content from Spotify, you receive what you'd get when playing a file that you would have ripped (Ogg Vorbis, MP3, FLAC, AAC, etc.). That file is decompressed, mixed with the system's audio, and then re-compressed for audio over bluetooth transmission (SBC, aptX, etc. and also AAC - the AAC's algorithm can be used for both applications).
What that means is that after mixing Spotify's audio with the rest of the system, the compression used to transmit audio over bluetooth is AAC 168kbps for some reason. That's coming from your source device. From which device are you transmitting audio ? Smartphone ? Android ? iOS ? Laptop ? Mac ? PC ?

Apr 9, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #2,121 of 4,741
From which device are you transmitting audio ? Smartphone ? Android ? iOS ? Laptop ? Mac ? PC ?
LG G8X.
I've found an option under Bluetooth for highest sound quality and now Q5 shows offline LDAC 990Kbps. Guess that fixed it.

Apr 12, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #2,122 of 4,741
First post from a long term lurker. I bought the Qudelix-5K soon after it was released based on the recommendations of this forum. I'm enjoying it very much with my ER2XR and a balanced cable - both also bought on recommendations from Head-Fi.

Recently my unit developed a problem that is apparently present in some of the early units. I emailed Qudelix asking how to get it repaired. Within 12 hours I got a reply asking for my shipping address so that they could send me a new unit. No 'send it back at your expense', no 'we'll have our engineers examine it and get back to you', simply 'send us your address so that we can replace the unit'.

I'm making my first post on Head-Fi to let people know that not only is the Qudelix-5K a stellar product but Qudelix's customer service is stellar as well.

Apr 12, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #2,124 of 4,741
This is great news, as I've been eying it for quite some time. I'm going to buy one within the next month or two, as soon as I get my tax refund.

Apr 12, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #2,125 of 4,741
I can’t imagine you’d regret it. I listen to my 5K around the house even. Even powers my HD650 well and I’m still waiting on a balanced cable for it which should make it even better. I hope they develop a larger version and a desktop version.

Apr 12, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #2,126 of 4,741
The 5k is excellent for the price, and just downright excellent. While my Chord Hugo is objectively better, I honestly enjoyed the sound I was getting out of the 5k so much, that I was not particularly motivated to listen to the Hugo over the 5k.

That said, I snagged a Denafrips Ares 2, and that (finally) is a big step up from the 5k. But that says a lot, considering we are talking $125 vs $800...

Apr 12, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #2,127 of 4,741
I can’t imagine you’d regret it. I listen to my 5K around the house even. Even powers my HD650 well and I’m still waiting on a balanced cable for it which should make it even better. I hope they develop a larger version and a desktop version.
I've got a Radsone ES100 and also use it around the house. I'm constantly moving around, so a desktop setup doesn't work for me. Hate having to remove iems or headphones whenever I need to go outside or move anywhere around the house because it means I have to stop listening to music. I like that I can used wired earphones or headphones when moving about. I'm keen to try the Qudelix 5K. It seems like a natural upgrade to the ES100. Bottom line is: I want a device like this, so I can use my wired iems and headphones without having to remain seated at one spot all the time.

Apr 12, 2021 at 7:39 PM Post #2,128 of 4,741
I've got a Radsone ES100 and also use it around the house. I'm constantly moving around, so a desktop setup doesn't work for me. Hate having to remove iems or headphones whenever I need to go outside or move anywhere around the house because it means I have to stop listening to music. I like that I can used wired earphones or headphones when moving about. I'm keen to try the Qudelix 5K. It seems like a natural upgrade to the ES100. Bottom line is: I want a device like this, so I can use my wired iems and headphones without having to remain seated at one spot all the time.
I have both, and frankly, the 5k kicks butt. My ES100 is in a drawer somewhere, and that's where it will stay. Not only does the 5k sound better and have more power, the software is miles ahead and is under very active development. Quidelex listens to the customers and has been adding features and fixing bugs. Radsone has been in hibernation for quite some time now. I think you'll be quite happy with a 5k.

Apr 13, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #2,129 of 4,741
I broke down and got the qudelix 5k. I had high expectations from most saying they like it better than the es100. I'm torn. I like the es100 sound better. I like the Q5k form factor, buttons, app is better, more power, type c USB and the weighty feel. I just got it today but iirc, 3.5mm should get a little bit better battery and 2.5mm less than the es100. this is early impressions though. When I get less tired I am going to see if I can eq it and come up with something better. es100 with AKM is much smoother and less bright. the Q5k is a little fatiguing for my ears but I do like the vocals are somehow a lot more forward.

it's all good though. i think i'm going to carry both. got a topping nx4 on the way too. but depending on how it sounds depends on if it stays home or sees some portability. after the nx4 gets some play time i want to buy some iems and a pair of cans.

Apr 14, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #2,130 of 4,741
I own both too .. and I only use every day the Quedlix 5G. Sound and features are all very nice
Of course ES100 is not bad, but just a little behind for everything other than size, so I keep it just "in case" and I don't intend to use it anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back