The Qudelix-5K thread
Aug 31, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #1,293 of 4,741
You mean for the app? AFAIK the Qudelix firmware is still v1.3.1
If you have the latest updates:
- App is 1.4.3 (you can see this in the “About” tab on the app
- FW is 1.3.1 (you can see this in the “Device” tab on the app

Firmware update seems both important and a bit disruptive if you have used the EQ capability. From the Qudelix digest:

“Dear All,

There was a critical bug in the Equalizer sampling frequency setting with custom presets.
(Default presets are ok, but custom preset are not.)

Consequently, you were experiencing unexpected frequency offset in cut-off or center frequency, when setting user EQ.

Please check the FW v1.3.1 (with the App v1.4.3) for the fix.
You may need to redo your EQ works with the new FW.

We just submitted the app to play store (Android) and app store(iOS).
You may be able to download the app in a couple of days.

For your information,
5K, QCC5124 integrated with 32-bit DSP, provides 64-bit double-precision equalizer for the most accurate frequency response. *CSR8675 is integrated with 24-bit DSP.

Thank you!“

Aug 31, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #1,294 of 4,741
As for EQ over LDAC, isn't this something that can be controlled on the phone (without an app)? At least on most Samsung phones there's a "Sound quality and effects" settings screen that includes a 9 band EQ and other options.

Even if EQ over LDAC is put aside, no Samsung phone has a Sabre DAC chip, right? :) So I'll take the Qudelix 5K over the built-in audio enhancements on Samsung phones.

If you have the latest updates:
- App is 1.4.3 (you can see this in the “About” tab on the app
- FW is 1.3.1 (you can see this in the “Device” tab on the app

Firmware update seems both important and a bit disruptive if you have used the EQ capability. From the Qudelix digest:

“Dear All,

There was a critical bug in the Equalizer sampling frequency setting with custom presets.
(Default presets are ok, but custom preset are not.)

Consequently, you were experiencing unexpected frequency offset in cut-off or center frequency, when setting user EQ.

Please check the FW v1.3.1 (with the App v1.4.3) for the fix.
You may need to redo your EQ works with the new FW.

We just submitted the app to play store (Android) and app store(iOS).
You may be able to download the app in a couple of days.

For your information,
5K, QCC5124 integrated with 32-bit DSP, provides 64-bit double-precision equalizer for the most accurate frequency response. *CSR8675 is integrated with 24-bit DSP.

Thank you!“

Yup, that's the app & firmware versions that I have. The Qudelix support team was very proactive in emailing me directly about the critical 1.3.1 FW update when it came out.

Aug 31, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #1,295 of 4,741
Even if EQ over LDAC is put aside, no Samsung phone has a Sabre DAC chip, right? :) So I'll take the Qudelix 5K over the built-in audio enhancements on Samsung phones.
That's irrelevant. There is no Digital-Analog Conversion occurring in any BT transmitter because....its digital....up until the BT receiver (ie the Q5...or BTR5) converts it to analog.

In other words, the Samsung's DAC isn't in the chain so it doesn't matter.

You might argue the built-in Samsung EQ does a poorer job (since its a GEQ), but even if true, one could use a third party PEQ app on the Samsung that could be equivalent (or better).

LDAC EQ just might have very little value for users with single sources.

To be fair, even with multiple sources, one could set up EQ on each to ensure similar sound. Admittedly, that'd be a minor hassle, so I do like the EQ settings at the receiver.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #1,296 of 4,741
That's irrelevant. There is no Digital-Analog Conversion occurring in any BT transmitter because....its digital....up until the BT receiver (ie the Q5...or BTR5) converts it to analog.

You might argue the built-in Samsung EQ does a poorer job (since its a GEQ), but even if true, one could use a third party PEQ app on the Samsung that could be equivalent (or better).

To be fair, even with multiple sources, one could set up EQ on each to ensure similar sound. Admittedly, that'd be a minor hassle, so I do like the EQ settings at the receiver.

I don't think anything you install on a Samsung phone can compete with a real hardware EQ.
It's a 64-bit double precision Kalimba DSP.

Sep 1, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #1,297 of 4,741
I don't think anything you install on a Samsung phone can compete with a real hardware EQ.
It's a 64-bit double precision Kalimba DSP.

It depends. You can easily get good quality software based 64 bits EQ on PC, and any decent CPU will do the job admirably. Any decent smartphone these days should have enough processing power for 64bit EQ as well, for example - Neutron music player has 64bit audio engine built into its core and EQ.

Sep 1, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #1,298 of 4,741

Good point. I stand corrected. Still, I'll opt for the phone>5K>headphone chain over phone>headphone anyday, regardless of EQ functionality.

Sep 1, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #1,300 of 4,741
On the BTR5 the bass seems better controlled (impactful and clean), whereas my initial impression is the 5K bass is more bloated.
Did you try balanced output for 5K? They (balanced/unbalanced) are very different. I'd say balanced output is a class higher than unbalanced as far as the SQ is concerned. The bass is being the most different. Punchy, controlled very well and massaging the ear drums like heck.

Sep 3, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #1,302 of 4,741
I just received mine from Amazon and wanted to give my quick impressions. I also have ES100, BTR3K, and multiple BTR5.

I think this is the best one yet. My main problem with the Fiio units was the very poor bluetooth reception. I've walked all over in the areas where those cut out and this doesn't miss at all. I then went other areas where my QC35's would start to cut out. These were fine as well. I then went farther where the QC35's would disconnect. These stayed connected as well. So my quick testing shows this to have great bluetooth reception.

Next, The Fiio and Earstudio apps would not work on a chromebook. THis one works fine on the chromebook.

So after 20 mins with this, I'm very happy with it. Looking forward to playing with the EQ. Nice work guys.

Thanks,
Robert

Sep 3, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #1,303 of 4,741
I just received mine from Amazon and wanted to give my quick impressions. I also have ES100, BTR3K, and multiple BTR5.

I think this is the best one yet. My main problem with the Fiio units was the very poor bluetooth reception. I've walked all over in the areas where those cut out and this doesn't miss at all. I then went other areas where my QC35's would start to cut out. These were fine as well. I then went farther where the QC35's would disconnect. These stayed connected as well. So my quick testing shows this to have great bluetooth reception.

Next, The Fiio and Earstudio apps would not work on a chromebook. THis one works fine on the chromebook.

So after 20 mins with this, I'm very happy with it. Looking forward to playing with the EQ. Nice work guys.

Thanks,
Robert

Yup, I keep receiving a clear & solid BT signal from the 5K even when I was 2 rooms away. Multiple computers, devices and a wifi extender in between. No mean feat. Very happy with my purchase of the 5K and glad I didn't go the BTR5 route.

Sep 4, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #1,304 of 4,741
Does anyone know how to adjust the PEQ settings? I go into Equalizer and switch to PEQ. I then see fields where I can enter frequecy values, but I don't see how to change the gain or anything else. I also don't see how to save into one of the 10 custom banks.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert

Sep 4, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #1,305 of 4,741

Users who are viewing this thread

Back