The Qudelix-5K thread
Aug 5, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #1,158 of 4,741
Here's my solution. DSC_0589-01.jpeg

Aug 5, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #1,159 of 4,741
Aug 6, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #1,160 of 4,741
Check out what I got 😎
Qudelix is definitely a step up over the es100. As far as a comparison with the BTR5, I would say they are on about equal footing soundwise. It is more about preference and synergy.

Out of the single ended output I would say the qudelix sounds better in general. However the BTR5 handles max volume high gain out of the single ended better than the qudelix. So if you are preamping something full volume (like the little bear b4x tube amp) the BTR5 pulls ahead a little bit. However if you are stuck with a set with a non detachable cable (like my final E500) the qudelix sounds better for the most part.

Out of the balanced output I would say they are on par, and differences come down to synergy/preference like I said. The BTR5 seems to be a bit more V shaped, while the qudelix seems a bit more mids foward. The BTR5 has a bit more sparkle in the treble but the qudelix has better soundstage and mids.

20200806_183658.jpg

Aug 6, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #1,161 of 4,741
Interface still looks deficient as is/was the ES100 (where is a dial or easy to find buttons?) — count me out.

Too much techno mumbo jumbo without a tactile physical design to suit. Dial for volume + two easy to find control buttons (one can be the dial). Decorate up the functionally each does accordingly.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #1,162 of 4,741
So I found ANOTHER old ES100 :gs1000smile: So now I have two, one with my phone number scratched onto the surface.. bah. I need to offload some stuff I am not using...

Aug 7, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #1,164 of 4,741
Just bought one for my Tia Fourte - suits them really well and seems smoother and cleaner than the UP2. As well as the auto standby and volume memory and EQ that I bought it for really

And so light - I dropped it the other day and it barely moved the IEM in my ears :)

Very inpresssed - and great idea about hanging round the neck as the buttons are a bit poorly placed for clutching it in ones hands all the time, and I don’t like clipping it anywhere.

Aug 7, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #1,166 of 4,741
All I get are complaints about no one being able to hear me. Clipped to my shirt ...

Anyone else have issues with the mems mic? It seems to be very directional

No but I have been told it picks up a lot of background noise (just left it on the desk in front of me, not clipped). I have been sticking to wired for calls. Have a Galaxy Buds Live on the way which I hope will give me a better wireless calling solution but I haven't had great results with the 5K for calls. Would be curious what everyone else has been experiencing.

Aug 7, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #1,167 of 4,741
should be able to wire an external mic port from the headset TRRS?

would be great to just use a ModMic Uni with whatever HPs you currently favoured

I understand it doesn't work in DAC mode.

Funny, exactly the inverse problem with Schiit HEL!

Mayflower ARC Mk2 does both, others?

Aug 7, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #1,168 of 4,741
All I get are complaints about no one being able to hear me. Clipped to my shirt ...

Anyone else have issues with the mems mic? It seems to be very directional
Yeah, I get the same complaints when I try to use the mic. People tell me I'm not clear sounding and there's alot of background noise. When that's the case, I just disconnect and switch to my phone's mic. For me, it's no big deal. I never intended to use this device for phone calls. The mic was just a fringe benefit. The reason I bought this for, was for listening to music in hi rez via bluetooth. For that purpose, the ES100 works very well, and I'm very satisfied with the SQ.

Aug 8, 2020 at 2:28 AM Post #1,169 of 4,741
not fussed about mic either but will try later.

I did try and use the EQ sliders on the iPhone app though and they are pretty useless - once your fat fingers are over the buttons it’s impossible to see what’s going on, and too easy to slide the wrong one, and then hard to set it back exactly.

Anyone have any tips - can you select a frequency and then use phone buttons for example?

Aug 8, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #1,170 of 4,741
No but I have been told it picks up a lot of background noise (just left it on the desk in front of me, not clipped). I have been sticking to wired for calls. Have a Galaxy Buds Live on the way which I hope will give me a better wireless calling solution but I haven't had great results with the 5K for calls. Would be curious what everyone else has been experiencing.
Yes. My voice is clearer than with the ES100, but so is the background. Unusable in urban settings. Noise cancellation is a thing. Hopefully this improves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back