The Qudelix-5K thread
Jun 30, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #916 of 4,745
To me there's heck of a difference between aac and ldac too.
I also hear large differences when switching on the fly between codecs on the ES100 for instance, but when paying attention I find the detail is actually there with the lower ones, it's just less immediately apparent. Sensibly, LDAC is tuned with more emphasis on the higher registers to appeal to detail-oriented listeners, while AAC is bassier and tuned for mainstream taste, the same way tuning works for headphones/iems. A competent AAC-only sink device like recent B&O headphones can do tight, holographic playback.

Jun 30, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #917 of 4,745
I also hear large differences when switching on the fly between codecs on the ES100 for instance, but when paying attention I find the detail is actually there with the lower ones, it's just less immediately apparent. Sensibly, LDAC is tuned with more emphasis on the higher registers to appeal to detail-oriented listeners, while AAC is bassier and tuned for mainstream taste, the same way tuning works for headphones/iems. A competent AAC-only sink device like recent B&O headphones can do tight, holographic playback.
Yes, you're right and I agree with you that the difference is noticeably evident with high frequencies.
One more thing which I noticed with the subj is that when I chose two codecs (aac and LDAC) I assume the bass is more prominent compred with the setting where all the codecs are enabled.
Another thing which I am not so sure of with the new FW is that pressing the volume button one time does not lead to the considerable change of sound volume is it was with the previous FW. Am I right?

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2020 at 10:14 PM Post #918 of 4,745
Yes, you're right and I agree with you that the difference is noticeably evident with high frequencies.
One more thing which I noticed with the subj is that when I chose two codecs (aac and LDAC) I assume the bass is more prominent compred with the setting where all the codecs are enabled.
Another thing which I am not so sure of with the new FW is that pressing the volume button one time does not lead to the considerable change of sound volume is it was with the previous FW. Am I right?
Ha, intriguing! On my part I thought I noticed less of a volume difference than previously when activating EQ, but it was just the one time and I was outside so maybe I had a wrong impression - I’ll get back to you in a few hours. Have the steps been changed from 1dB to 0.5? I seem to remember they were already 0.5 before.

Jun 30, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #919 of 4,745
I also hear differences when switching on the fly between codecs on the ES100 for instance, but when paying attention I find the detail is actually there with the lower ones, it's just less immediately apparent. Sensibly, LDAC is tuned with more emphasis on the higher registers to appeal to detail-oriented listeners, while AAC is bassier and tuned for mainstream taste, the same way tuning works for headphones/iems. A competent AAC-only sink device like recent B&O headphones can do tight, holographic playback.

I always thought the differences were due to data being dropped due to lower bitrates which, depending on what gets dropped, may result in the change in "tuning" but I am sure there are many here who are more knowledgeable than me on this. I also understand that implementation of each codec makes a big difference on both the source and receiving end and AAC is not great in many Android devices. I do know I can hear a difference and for me (on my Android devices) SBC < aptX < LDAC and I never use AAC because it sounds the worst to me. Most of the differences are more noticeable in width and depth of soundstage and the overall fullness of the sound when using the same devices. LDAC 990 definitely sounds much closer to wired to me. I agree implementation matters greatly and you can have bad aptX devices and great SBC devices. On my Senn MTWs and MW07 Go, I definitely prefer aptX to SBC.

While on the topic, my S9 only let's me change codecs by toggling on and off LDAC in bluetooth settings (without disabling on the 5K and restarting). If I try to change between aptX, AAC, or SBC, the 5K appears to prioritize codecs in that order so I have to actually disable the codecs with a higher priority and restart the 5K to change it. Changing in developer settings only initially looked like it changed because my phone listed the codec I had selected but, when I initially didnt hear a difference, I exited the developer settings menu and went back in only to find out my phone was using aptX again (Qudelix app was reporting the same thing). I had to actually disable aptX on my 5K to force my S9 to use AAC. To get SBC, I had to disable both AAC and aptX. Once I did that, I could hear a difference with each codec.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2020 at 4:24 AM Post #920 of 4,745
Ha, intriguing! On my part I thought I noticed less of a volume difference than previously when activating EQ, but it was just the one time and I was outside so maybe I had a wrong impression - I’ll get back to you in a few hours. Have the steps been changed from 1dB to 0.5? I seem to remember they were already 0.5 before.
they were .5, but the "delay" before reading a single "press" as a "press and hold" was very small, so even a relatively short tap could move it up 2dB. i did ask on their forum that they change the delay time so that that didn't happen less, but i haven't been able to test whether it's actually different. i know that they saw the feedback, though!

Jul 1, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #921 of 4,745
There's something a fraction of a second of silence when playing or changing songs on foobar via USB. It's like using the Mojo via USB but not quite as bad? I'm using windows 10, btw.

Jul 1, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #922 of 4,745
I had to borrow a smartphone with >android 8 for the qudelix app because mine is 6.0. I might be dumb but how do you save a custom 10 band EQ? After set up I hold custom and it says "Saved Custom #1" then when I go back to Custom #1 it's flat (bluetooth paired and all that done obviously).

Also is it possible to adjust Q width for the bands? my FR is too bumpy.

Jul 1, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #923 of 4,745
Ok! Impressions, 2 days in. I’m going to take it easy on the SW/FW at launch. My company just launched a new product, and the DVD we burned was almost immediately irrelevant the next day.

POV: ES100. I use that thing every day, or at least, I did. It worked great - so why would I pony up $109 USD + shipping for an incremental upgrade?

Microphone: I’m told by people on the other end that the quality is better than my Sennheiser MB1 Pro. That said, it’s not a boom mic, and the rigid enclosure construction tends to make noise if it is lightly touched by the headphone cable or your fingers. Also, I’m still picking up nearby noises, so it likely needs some more training in the ANC Dept. More to come.

LEDs. Damn, they’re bright. Luckily, you can disable them in the app. Done.

Wireless range: I haven’t done any back-to-back controlled tests, but it seems to be better than the ES100...that is, if my iPhone Xs isn’t in my pocket. I need more time on it, and with LDAC 990, combined with other nearby BT traffic, on my Sony Blu-Ray to know more.

Ergonomics: I miss the dedicated power button a little, but I don’t miss the right-angle cable interference with the volume buttons. That said, the top-mount cable is a compromise that allows the cable to rustle against the enclosure more when you’re on the mic. A minor issue for most, I imagine.

Sound quality: It’s very good, though I needed to do some extra EQ tweaking to compensate for the lack of a lower Q setting. The current fixed Q is more appropriate for 20 bands. I’ll reserve judgment on sound quality until more Q options are made available. Honestly, that makes more difference than a load of other filter options and DAC sound “signature”.

Jul 1, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #925 of 4,745
I had to borrow a smartphone with >android 8 for the qudelix app because mine is 6.0. I might be dumb but how do you save a custom 10 band EQ? After set up I hold custom and it says "Saved Custom #1" then when I go back to Custom #1 it's flat (bluetooth paired and all that done obviously).

Also is it possible to adjust Q width for the bands? my FR is too bumpy.

That works when I do it.

Ok! Impressions, 2 days in. I’m going to take it easy on the SW/FW at launch. My company just launched a new product, and the DVD we burned was almost immediately irrelevant the next day.

POV: ES100. I use that thing every day, or at least, I did. It worked great - so why would I pony up $109 USD + shipping for an incremental upgrade?

Microphone: I’m told by people on the other end that the quality is better than my Sennheiser MB1 Pro. That said, it’s not a boom mic, and the rigid enclosure construction tends to make noise if it is lightly touched by the headphone cable or your fingers. Also, I’m still picking up nearby noises, so it likely needs some more training in the ANC Dept. More to come.

LEDs. Damn, they’re bright. Luckily, you can disable them in the app. Done.

Wireless range: I haven’t done any back-to-back controlled tests, but it seems to be better than the ES100...that is, if my iPhone Xs isn’t in my pocket. I need more time on it, and with LDAC 990, combined with other nearby BT traffic, on my Sony Blu-Ray to know more.

Ergonomics: I miss the dedicated power button a little, but I don’t miss the right-angle cable interference with the volume buttons. That said, the top-mount cable is a compromise that allows the cable to rustle against the enclosure more when you’re on the mic. A minor issue for most, I imagine.

Sound quality: It’s very good, though I needed to do some extra EQ tweaking to compensate for the lack of a lower Q setting. The current fixed Q is more appropriate for 20 bands. I’ll reserve judgment on sound quality until more Q options are made available. Honestly, that makes more difference than a load of other filter options and DAC sound “signature”.

It sounds like you need to make sure side tone is disabled under the mic options. The SW is a bit buggy so sometimes I have to turn it on and then back off for it to truly be off. Give it a shot and that whole hearing the cable thing shouldn't be a problem anymore

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #927 of 4,745
Does foobar support gapless playback?

It's when I change or restart the tracks from the beginning, not when it finishes the previous song so gapless should't be the culprit, right? It behaves very much like the Chord Mojo with usb input. Doesn't happen with the Topping D10 which confirms it's not software (on the pc side, at least). I'm usually missing the first note of the song whenever i select one.

edit: this seems to happen when on wasapi and only on push, not event.

Jul 2, 2020 at 7:45 AM Post #928 of 4,745
Did not upgrade to express shipping. Order has arrived in the USA. Hope the tracking shows similar progress for others! :)
My non-express package arrived in the US on June 19... tracking says it will be delivered today... Two weeks to be delivered once it arrived in the US. I hope you don’t go through that kind of wait.

Jul 2, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #929 of 4,745
Package arrived in the US on the 19th. Left Illinois on the 20th. Next update the was the 30th with it arriving in Atlanta. No update since then - I'm in TN.

Presumably it's relatively close at this point, but it does feel like it's being transported by a kid on a bike. 😅 That said every shipping company is way overloaded rn and even if they weren't the coof is an excuse to not push their timetables hard and save a bit of money, so between the two I'm not surprised at the delivery times.

I just wish tracking would be updated a bit more often so I could still feel it's progress and manage my anticipation accordingly. 😅

Jul 2, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #930 of 4,745
Package arrived in the US on the 19th. Left Illinois on the 20th. Next update the was the 30th with it arriving in Atlanta. No update since then - I'm in TN.

Presumably it's relatively close at this point, but it does feel like it's being transported by a kid on a bike. 😅 That said every shipping company is way overloaded rn and even if they weren't the coof is an excuse to not push their timetables hard and save a bit of money, so between the two I'm not surprised at the delivery times.

I just wish tracking would be updated a bit more often so I could still feel it's progress and manage my anticipation accordingly. 😅
I was able to get a delivery estimate by dropping the USPS tracking number in here:
http://tracking.smartlabel.com/default.aspx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back