The PuppeT Topic, All My questions in one little thread :)
Jul 7, 2004 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

puppet

100+ Head-Fier
sence i have a curious mind and like to ask alot of questions, I will post my questions here .

On a scale of 1 to 10 how hard is it to build a sub woofer., and if i were to build a subwoofer, could i replace it with the sub for the z560s incase it dies.

Jul 7, 2004 at 4:48 AM Post #2 of 25
The hardest part about building a sub is building the cabinet which requires a lot of power tools and precision. You will need to buy an amplifier if you want to use your 560's satellites with your DIY sub. I wouldn't do it though.

Oh yeah. Building your own sub won't be your idea of cheap unless you build a crappy sub.

Jul 7, 2004 at 5:06 AM Post #5 of 25
If you find one, point it out to me, I'd like to see what they have.

Jul 7, 2004 at 5:32 AM Post #7 of 25
Yeah, I know about the PE boxes. You see the prices on those suckers?
eek.gif
And if you can't use the 3cuft box, (they charge $50 to cut a hole for the driver??) you will still need a router to cut the hole for the driver. Not to mention the amp or terminal cup. And port unless you're going sealed. Ok, now that I think of it, I think I would have known about it if there were such a perfect thing for an inexpensive sub
tongue.gif
Nevermind...

Jul 7, 2004 at 6:26 AM Post #8 of 25
Use MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard). Have the place you're buying it from cut it down to size for you.

If you build it car sub style, the driver will rest on top of the opening, so the flanges of the driver housing will create a seal against the face of the sub housing you made out of MDF. That way the hole does not have to be perfect.

Remember that you can always build it with an external amp, so the sub is a passive speaker that way.

-Ed

Jul 7, 2004 at 6:29 AM Post #9 of 25
One more thing.

Do some research into what type of enclosure you want to build. There are a few basic ones like Acoustically sealed, Ported, Bandpass, 2nd order Bandpass, etc.etc. Each has their pluses and minuses.

Acoustically sealed is my favorite, but is far more difficult to power effectively.

-Ed

Jul 7, 2004 at 7:26 AM Post #11 of 25
I'll give it a 1% +/- 0.3% chance. I know it seems a bit high, but it happens. You just never know when your sub will blow up on you.

Jul 7, 2004 at 7:28 AM Post #12 of 25
Are you dead set on blowing your sub? I don't understand your point. Am I missing something? Are the z560's subs prone to blowing up?

Here's a tip. When you crank the volume, and you hear horrible distortion and popping noises, TURN THE VOLUME DOWN.

-Ed

Jul 7, 2004 at 7:31 AM Post #13 of 25
I dont even listen to music alot the most is one hour a time and thats rare, usually a few songs and i`m done, I also dont crank it that high becasue i`ll be scared of blowing the sub.

So i`m not going to be blasting it on high all night so i dont think i should worry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back