The pot on the Cosmic...
Jun 1, 2002 at 9:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Joe Bloggs

Sponsor: HiBy
Member of the Trade: EFO Technologies Co, YanYin Technology
His Porta Corda walked the Green Mile
I'm considering to buy a HeadRoom amp after auditioning and my most likely choice would be the Cosmic Reference. But that particular amp is not available in the loaner program--the two most relevant amps available would be the regular Cosmic and the Max. (coz it's the only loaner amp with the reference module) So, two questions I have for ya...

1. Basically, would you put the Cosmic Reference sound quality closer to the regular Cosmic or the Max? (not including the pot quality--only when you're not turning, and not putting into account any mistracking)

2. How good would you rate the pot on the Cosmic to be on an absolute scale? Do you notice *any* noise while turning the pot when music is playing? Do you notice *any* mistracking (changes in channel balance in different parts of the pot) in the lower part of the pot? If so how low can you get before this becomes a problem? Can the Cosmic be used with low impedance, high efficency phones without noticeable mistracking? Or would this require you to ask for a custom gain level (lower) when you're buying it?

edit: oops, just checked and there's actually no Max to loan... I'm rather at a loss about what to do now
confused.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 1, 2002 at 11:34 AM Post #2 of 22
I've got a loaner Cosmic. Have not noticed an of the problems you were asking about, and it has 3 switchable gain levels for low and high efficiency 'phones. I use it on medium with my HD600's and the one time I plugged my KSC35's in, it worked well on both low and medium.

30 day return, but I can't believe you'd be disappointed in either.

However, the Max has some other upgrades and stuff inside in a MUCH larger case. The Cosmic uses 5 or 6 volt input and a DC/DC converter for power. The max has 2 separate power supplies, with premium PS components throughout.

The Max is worth the additional $700+ dollars, but if you want portability at all, the Cosmic Reference is it.

Jun 1, 2002 at 12:02 PM Post #3 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by gaineso
The Max is worth the additional $700+ dollars, but if you want portability at all, the Cosmic Reference is it.

If a person is only going to use the Cosmic with portable sources, is it worth the extra $150 for the reference model? Or should the reference version only be selected if the Cosmic will also be used with a high-end component system?

Jun 1, 2002 at 12:19 PM Post #4 of 22
Have you been doing the thinking for me or what?
wink.gif

What if I want to use it only with a pcdp in a non-portable environment? That has got to be a pretty novel usage of the amp
tongue.gif

The part about the 'very expensive, high-performance, DC-DC converter' worries me because I probably won't be needing it at all--means they've blown their already limited parts budget (relative to the MOHR and Max) into something I don't need...
confused.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Jun 1, 2002 at 12:48 PM Post #6 of 22
What has Death Metal got to do with it?
confused.gif

Yeah but the HeadRoom amps with their 3 gain settings seem to let make better use of the pot?

I thought HeadRoom uses the Blue Velvet too?

But not in the Cosmic perhaps?

how far up did you turn the amp on the low gain setting when using the KSC35, gaineso?

Jun 1, 2002 at 3:05 PM Post #8 of 22
For the record:

Which pot is used in the Cosmic?

Which pot is used in the MOH?

Which pot is used in the Max?

The Sugden and Corda use the Alps Blue. The point about buying music CDs was that if you went with one of those amps, you'd have some money left over for music.

For the record, I really really like the Stepped Attenuators Headroom developed for the Max and Blockhead. Very nice aesthetically. I've not gotten to AB them against the exact same product with the exact same headphones, cables and source equipment yet to discern the audible differences. I hope to do that some day.

Jun 1, 2002 at 3:05 PM Post #9 of 22
Potting?

Yeah, I'm DJ Moron, and I don't even know what you're talking about
rolleyes.gif

Jun 1, 2002 at 6:04 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by DeanA
If a person is only going to use the Cosmic with portable sources, is it worth the extra $150 for the reference model? Or should the reference version only be selected if the Cosmic will also be used with a high-end component system?

My guess -- basing solely on my experiences with portable players, not on experiences with the Cosmic -- is that it's not worth it, since I have yet to hear a portable source good enough to warrant the reference module. In fact HeadRoom actually says that if you're only going to be using a portable source, you should go with the Supreme, since the Cosmic will show you everything that's wrong with your portable source
wink.gif

Jun 1, 2002 at 6:56 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF

My guess -- basing solely on my experiences with portable players, not on experiences with the Cosmic -- is that it's not worth it, since I have yet to hear a portable source good enough to warrant the reference module. In fact HeadRoom actually says that if you're only going to be using a portable source, you should go with the Supreme, since the Cosmic will show you everything that's wrong with your portable source
wink.gif

Well, that's not exactly what HeadRoom says about the Cosmic...

quote:
"So, does it make sense to use a world-class headphone and headphone amp with a crummy portable CD player? Yes and no. Yes, because no matter what the source is, the amp/headphone system has it’s own problems and adding a Cosmic and good headphones will make a well selected portable sound at least ten times better than you’ve ever heard a portable sound before. And no, because you are never going to get true reference audiophile performance with a portable player---but wait till you plug it into your big rig! Hook a Cosmic up to a reference front end and we guarantee you a resolutional audio experience like you’ve never had before."

I've used a Cosmic/D-EJ01/Traveler Bag transportable system for the past couple of years, and IMO, you would be hard pressed to find a better sounding rig for the moolah....
wink.gif

Jun 1, 2002 at 8:10 PM Post #12 of 22
Joe,

I was sugesting the Cosmic with Reference Module IF you plan to use it BOTH portable and at home from a big CDP.

However, if you've got the bread for a Max, well, Headroom says it's second only to the Blockhead, which is way out there anyway.

The Max is NOT a portable. It is an awesome amp. Not a Blockhead, or an Orpheus or Omega, But what an awesome piece of equipment it was listening to it in Orlando.

Able to compare it directly using HD600's to the Blockhead, Big O, Omega, EAR HP4 and Cary. Not up to the Blockhead or Big O, but equal or better than the others. That's the Max with Stepped attenuaters.

To start a little war, I was seriously Underwhelmed by the K1000/EARV20 combo. Decent to good image, but thin sounding.

I know you do a lot of EQ, which some don't approve of, but if it sounds good to you, what else matters??

BTW, I run about 1/4 turn on low with KSC35/Cosmic combo. I'm pretty careful about not getting too loud though. These ears are getting a little old.

Jun 1, 2002 at 8:26 PM Post #13 of 22
The Cosmic is a Max in sheep's clothing......

(From HeadRoom)
Quote:

The Cosmic is essentially our Max amp in a portable enclosure (except that we actually built portable amps first).

I find it funny that because this amp is packed into a small box, people don't understand that it's a monster.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 1, 2002 at 9:13 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG
Well, that's not exactly what HeadRoom says about the Cosmic...

RickG: I agree that if you'll be using this both as a portable and a home amp, the Cosmic is the way to go, as explained in that HeadRoom quote. But if you're only going to be using it with a portable, HeadRoom recommends sticking with the Supreme for the reasons I stated above.

Jun 1, 2002 at 10:47 PM Post #15 of 22
I would not prefer the Supreme to the Cosmic even on my crappy little Panasonic portable.

And I agree that the Cosmic is very good. At a lower price point than the Max, it's not a bad consideration. The MOH is probably a slightly better value if you don't need the portability since it essentially already has what the BS-1 provides. I personally wonder if I could discern a MOH from a Cosmic with BS-1. It'd be close, regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back