The Pono Player Impressions Thread
Jan 30, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #346 of 1,969
I definitely had iPods, still have 2 touch models. Maybe 5th generation is really good (that was the scuttlebut, still used an audiophile DA chip, Wolfson, I believe, but they ditched it the next genreation, which is where I came in). They popularized it, didn't create it (and they have a tremendous talent for taking ideas that are out there and packaging them so people want them, think they need them, then exert maximum control over the idea. People actually forget that the iPod SAVED Apple, Microsoft had crushed them in the PC world, and they were close to going under until they hit on the idea of repackaging the DAP as consumer jewelry instead of a geeky gadget). But, no, no iPod I have comes close to the Pono in sound (the ALO version basically bypassed everything but the DA converter-the iMod was basically saying Apple took some good parts, then screwed it up soundwise in the final analysis)

Jan 30, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #348 of 1,969
  The balanced out in particular has me very interested.

What are the specs, specifically output into 32 and 16 ohm balanced or single ended??

There are no concrete power figures for Pono, but the designer has said it has 1v output single ended, which is similar to Calyx M output, or X5 and DX90 on low gain. But balanced should see the power output double as the Pono has a dual separate identical amp section after LPF for balanced. So Pono is 2v output balanced, which is again similar to AK240, or DX90, X5 on a higher gain setting. Overall all in the same league, none of these daps excel at driving high impedance or low sensitivity headphones, but they are more than enough for most headphones and iems.

Jan 30, 2015 at 2:47 AM Post #349 of 1,969

There are no concrete power figures for Pono, but the designer has said it has 1v output single ended, which is similar to Calyx M output, or X5 and DX90 on low gain. But balanced should see the power output double as the Pono has a dual separate identical amp section after LPF for balanced. So Pono is 2v output balanced, which is again similar to AK240, or DX90, X5 on a higher gain setting. Overall all in the same league, none of these daps excel at driving high impedance or low sensitivity headphones, but they are more than enough for most headphones and iems.

Thank You.

Sounds like very respectable amplification. Curiosity is getting the better of me. All the negative reviews have piqued my interest. Unfortunately it's around $600.00 AUD landed. Bloody Aussie dollar has put it out of reach for me ATM.

Next Sydney Hi Fi meet may have one for audition.

This portable DAP market is getting too bloody congested!! 

Jan 30, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #350 of 1,969
  See, you buy quality equipment to listen to music.  I can see it in your signature.  So you believe that quality equipment has some merit.  $1500 earphones mean you think that if you spend money on your stuff, there will be a payoff in sound to your ears.  You believe that.  

I think that if I buy a good DAP and good iems there will be a payoff in sound to my ears.  I believe that.

So where is the disconnect coming from here?  You think your stuff sounds good, I think my stuff sounds good.  Other than my stating that a good portable DAP is better than an iPod (and this whole site is full of people who buy DAPS that are to their ears better than an iPod, it's not just me), we both seem to believe that paying for quality equipment makes sense.  

You may not like the Pono based on hype (it didn't make me want one, either) but until you actually listen to one (and you ARE on a Pono thread) you really are just giving an opinion based on your belief and not on real-world experience.  I, and others here, have Ponos and are reporting real-world experiences.  

As far as my equipment: I just sold off my Bifrost because I found no noticeable quality difference between it and my on-board sound card in actual objective tests (test file reproduction, etc.). I just sold a V200 because it was more powerful an amp than I needed and really all an amp does it make things louder (doubly so for balanced mode). I would sell my Asgard and Modi as well, but the return on them is small enough that I'm not super motivated to do the legwork of sale. So in the end I'd be satisfied with on-board sound (or my iPod), and just a little amp to handle the 800s. I keep the HD800s because it's harder to do objective tests on headphones, and my subjective AB tests tell me I like them better than the 700s. One day I may get a more objective test done with my various phones EQed, and then the 800s could very well end up on the chopping block. Either way, most people (even the sound-sciency ones) agree that transducers are where one's money should go for actual sound quality improvement. So there's no disconnect.

My issue with you liking how your stuff sounds is that you're happy to call someone a "twerp" on a video because they don't "hear" what you hear, yet believing what one hears is exactly your standard for keeping and preferring equipment. Seems a bit hypocritical to me. As far as Pono, I have nothing against the Ponoplayer actually, more the philosophy and actuality of the Ponostore (this is a Ponomusic thread too, btw). Still, I'm never buying the player, as I have little doubt that when put into an actual objective test that it will audibly beat any other decent DAC/DAP out there.

Jan 30, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #351 of 1,969
You missed my point.  I'll be clear.  He said that <insert the name of any good audiophile DAP> has no real bearing on sound quality nor does any type of higher quality music file.  HE can't hear a difference, therefore there is no difference.  People shouldn't bother with better DAPs or better sound files because he can't hear a difference.

EVERYONE on this site (with a few exceptions) believes that buying better DAPS or iems or cans improves sound.  And they spend lots of money to get it.  

So either everyone here (with a few exceptions) is wrong, or he is.  I choose him.  This is not about ME, though you keep saying it is.  It is about everyone here who has bought a device better than an iPod.  And there are devices better than an iPod.  

You may not like the IDEA of a Pono, but you have come to a Pono thread with no hands-on experience and said that this guy is right about them.  Yet everyone here that has one loves it.  I'm glad you like your iPod. Enjoy it.  It sounds good to you.  Well, my DAPs sound good to me. I've HAD and iPod.  You HAVEN'T had a Pono.  

Jan 30, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #352 of 1,969
What he said about sound quality is actually agreed with by many people on these boards, just not people you choose to give any credence too, despite whatever actual experience and expertise they have. And you're avoiding the point: that his personal listening-based opinion is just as valid as yours, despite your grumblings to the contrary. My not having a Pono is irrelevant: my iPod does just as good with my ER-4Ps as my long-gone Bifrost+V200 combo, whose specs I'm pretty sure were at least a match for Pono.

Enjoy your new DAP, and the next 20 you buy that you think sound different. I'll just keep watch on here for actual recommendations of good masters from the Ponostore, which is what really matters anyway.

Jan 30, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #353 of 1,969
I listen to what people like Brooko and Loquah and H20Fidelity say.  I'm not sure what people you are talking about.  

I'm glad you like your devices and they suit your needs.  Mine suit my needs.

I have no plans to replace the Pono with anything else at this time as I like the sound quality of it.

There are good masters/remasters on a number of sites, not just PonoMusic.  ProStudioMasters has quality files, for example.

Jan 30, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #354 of 1,969
ProStudioMasters does have good sounding files, from the small amount of experience I have with them, and they tend to discount more that HDTracks (which tends to only discount the recent additions and selected others) and Pono (which hasn't discounted, at least in my limited experience there as well). This is all new stuff. Acoustic Sounds also seems to have a growing selection, including the Super Hi Rez kazillion times sampling files...

Jan 31, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #358 of 1,969
  I need recommendations for a good sounding boom box or portable battery powered cordless speaker  to use with my pono while on the road in hotel rooms, at the beach and at the pool, something that plays loud and clear. Thanks. 

I have the Bose Soundlink Mini II.  It sounds better than I would have thought possible.  It has a 3.5 mm input.  I haven't received my Pono yet, but direct connect from my One M8 sounds better than Bluetooth.

Jan 31, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #359 of 1,969
Just got the Peachtree DeepBlue2, think it is really good sounding, does bluetooth (which I haven't used, just direct connect to my office computer). Depends on 1)how much you want to spend (it ain't cheap, now that the Indiegogo campaign is over, and it wasn't dirt cheap even then). 2)how portable is portable-it has a handle, can be carried, but is kinda bulky and heavy to drag too much (I wouldn't be taking it to the beach, say). But, to copy their Indiegogo promo information:

A 440-watt aptX® acoustic suspension Bluetooth Speaker with a massive 6.5" woofer. The only small wireless speaker with the full range sound of large speakers. (it has 5 speakers in a 3 way configuration).

No, it won't have me selling the living room big rig, but, as a "boombox" for the office, it is quite nice sounding...and, it gets better sounding the louder you want to play it, LOVES being blasted!

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #360 of 1,969
A bit OT, but I heard the After The Gold Rush album from the Pono website (16/44.1 flac on my J3, not a Pono) and it sounds very good, especially the songs with harmonies like "Southern Man" - I can hear all of the individual voices much more clearly and they all seem to be at the same level which makes for a really nice listening experience imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back