The Pono Player Impressions Thread
Jan 13, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #241 of 1,969
Haven't heard that album, but they made beautiful music. You must have the CD to rip. Going to rip an English music couple you reminded me of, Richard and Linda Thompson, put it on the Pono, report back.

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #242 of 1,969
The Farinas were contemporaries/friends of Dylan; Richard wrote a book (Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up To Me, with a forward by Thomas Pynchon) but was killed in a motorcycle accident the night of its release party (4/30/66).  This is the 2nd album, the first was a bit less drug-oriented and more classically folkie.  Mimi release a third called Memories.  And yes, I have all of their CDs, had the vinyls before.  I like the Thompsons as well.  

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #243 of 1,969
Good stuff, of course I can't find Shoot out the Lights (have it on vinyl, a gold cd version, and a newer 2cd set with a live version of the last tour they did to support the album, when they were supposedly close to killing each other. Of course, the vinyl is the only one I can find right now...). How about the Jim Kweskin Jug Band? Have it on vinyl as well, but Kweskin released a nice cd in recent years, have to dig it up. And, from the Village Folkie era, have the Eric Anderson Blue River, vinyl and cd, beautiful album, another to load.
Have fun!

Jan 13, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #244 of 1,969
I pm'd you.  A good newer album is Bleeker Street.  Came out 5-6 years ago.  Pricey now on Amazon, unfortunately.  

Not real big on jug bands.  Though I did like 13th Floor Elevator.  
rolleyes.gif

I'm finding the detail on the Pono really shines with acoustic stuff well.  I like electric as well, but the width of the soundstage and the delicacy of the treble and mids is really quite good with this kind of material.  

Jan 14, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #245 of 1,969
  I purchased a balanced cable for my HD600 from this page, and I'm very, very happy with it. The HD600 is driven as well as I've ever heard it, I've got no complaints at all. Very impressed with how well the PonoPlayer performs in balanced mode, the only thing I could hope for given its low price is better battery life, but I can deal with that.

I also bought my balanced cable for my Sennheiser HD600 off of ebay from Venus Audio.  Dale is based in Wisconsin and I found him to be reasonably priced, especially considering the limited number of vendors currently providing cables, the absence of any official cabling from Pono (right now), and the niche nature of the product. He made me a balanced cable from the Pono player to my Sennheiser HD600s and (2) separate 5 foot cables going from the Pono player to a male XLR for balanced operation with my studio monitors for $89 total.

Jan 14, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #246 of 1,969
I pm'd you.  A good newer album is Bleeker Street.  Came out 5-6 years ago.  Pricey now on Amazon, unfortunately.  

Not real big on jug bands.  Though I did like 13th Floor Elevator.  :rolleyes:

I'm finding the detail on the Pono really shines with acoustic stuff well.  I like electric as well, but the width of the soundstage and the delicacy of the treble and mids is really quite good with this kind of material.  

Is it this one? Hadn't heard about this, good roster, though.
http://www.amazon.com/Bleecker-Street-Greenwich-Village-The/dp/B00000IQMK

Jan 14, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #249 of 1,969
Re: Battery Life - I'm doing a round of testing on it now so I can share results. One good thing is that the battery is standard and easy to replace. It's easy to get in the case and remove the battery on PonoPlayer v1. I plan on using mine for the next 20+ years so it's good to know it's a standard, easy to swap battery.

Re: MP3's on Ponoplayer - I haven't been willing to try it yet. I don't know if I can stand the thought of that signal chain playing MP3. I might load some at some point and compare with my iPhone because it will be interesting to see what the PonoPlayer can do with that. I don't own many 320k MP3 though, most of mine are 256k and 192k.

I also did a raw shootout between Ponoplayer and FLAC's streaming from Youtube here:  http://wp.me/p2MP5A-13N

I was unable to check the quality of the Youtube stream but it sounded far better than MP3 and the usual youtube stream. I was impressed and didn't know the cloud could deliver such quality. Then I fired up the Ponoplayer and it showed another big jump in quality, even playing 16/44 files. 24bit files have such a low noise floor, with such expansive dynamics and soundstage that I was again happy with my purchase.

Jan 14, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #250 of 1,969
Hey, since we're talking a bit about 60's stuff, here's a cool update I just heard...

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #252 of 1,969
http://gizmodo.com/dont-buy-what-neil-young-is-selling-1678446860/all

All together now, a big BOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #253 of 1,969
95% of people spouting opinions on sound and sound recording have no idea what they are talking about. they can't hear for ****. they don't understand space, timing, delays, decays, timbre. they just are ignorant about how we actually hear and record sound in it's entirety, and it seems they keep growing by the year. many of them have never even heard analog tape, much less cheap vinyl played on a normal old stereo. they have no idea. digital babies thinking the world started sometime around 1981.

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #254 of 1,969
also does the guy even say he's heard it?  of course not.

no one that i can find anywhere has heard ponoplayer playing 24bit files and wants to give it back, or slam it online.

it's basic.  hear it first. then review your math and make up your mind.

even scopes are searching for signal. the song or voice. the microphones are built to pick up the main signal, i get it. we all focus on it. but the trick of it all is that they leave most of the signal as they reduce but they take the room, the rest, the out of focus, not on the scopes type of stuff.   it's not math it's music.

music is about timbre, tune, and the interactions of both frequencies and time cues. the casual listener doesn't think about reverb accuracy but they feel it. they get it, or at least they used to.  

show me a single person slamming the ponoplayer that actually has one around to use in their life and i'll believe it and consider them deaf.

Jan 14, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #255 of 1,969
the guy is right,the overwhelming majority of what is offered in the pono store is FLAC and that has been around for a long time....Hi-Rez may or may not be better than a well mastered FLAC copy but it takes up tons of room and costs a fortune and that too is already available....kudos to Neil Young for trying to get people to listen to better sounding music but Pono is simply another device that already exists from several manufacturers 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back