1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

The Pono Player Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by depaor, Oct 4, 2014.
First

Back
108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117
119 120 121 122 123 124 125
Next

Last
  1. silverfishla
    Veclan.com can do it. I had them make me a RSA plug to double 3.5mm and it was like $25 and pretty nice (for Pono balanced into a balance headphone amp). I’m sure they can do the 2.5mm vesrsion. I had them make a 2.5mm to RSA adapter as well, so I know that the 2.5mm is a nice tight fit. But you can also just make one if you can solder. I have made the 2.5mm to dual 3.5mm very easily.

barondla likes this.
  2. udesign48
    Thanks for your reply.

I decided to go with this option.

Sony's MUC-M12BL2 seems like a quality cable!
    and it sells for $112

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Repla...h=item3ae1986403:g:4WIAAOSwHHFY~bHC:rk:7:pf:0

I have both N3AP and P1 so I hope I can use this cable with both IEMs on my Pono player.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    dannyvstheworld likes this.
  3. udesign48
  4. udesign48
    What other devices use dual 3.5mm MMCX?
    I know Sony PHA 3 has dual 3.5mm.

Is there any desktop USB DAC with dual 3.5mm balanced out?

5. alpha421
    Ayre Codex

udesign48 likes this.
  6. udesign48
    Thanks!

Do you guys think dual 3.5mm balanced sound better than single 2.5mm balanced?

Some guys said Pono's dual 3.5mm balanced out sounds better than AK240 and Sony ZX1.

I'm curious because only few devices have this dual 3.5mm balanced out.
    There are only three cable companies which manufacture dual 3.5mm balanced to MMCX cable.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  7. geagle
    It's a manufacturing choice ... I'm pretty sure that how the manufacturer implements the balanced circuit inside is way more important than the final termination socket.

That said, 2.5mm TRRS plugs are small-ish, so have smaller contact areas, and are conceivably easier to break by accident, while the opposite can be said for the 4.4mm TRRS ones, and the 3.5mm TRRS ones sort of sit in between. Double 3.5mm TRS ones like Pono uses for balanced probably avoid the drawbacks of the 2.5mm ones, have the advantage of being quite standard (taken singly), and the disadvantage of being used in a configuration which is sort of unusual....

If the manufacturing is good, I believe that all those choices can work well, and then it's down to the user to take proper care of them :) .

barondla likes this.
  8. udesign48
    Yes,

and Fiio K5 has dual 3.5mm balanced output too.

If you guys know any other desktop or portable DAC with dual 3.5mm balanced, let me know.

Thanks

9. defbear
    Here is a public service announcement that I have made before. If it is considered a double post please excuse me.

DO NOT FORMAT THE INTERNAL STORAGE IN THE PONO PLAYER

Sorry for shouting. I formatted the 64gb in the Pono once. Everything still worked. Except the USB connection was downgraded to ver 1.1. SLOW.
    I had to mail it to Pono to have the memory re-flashed and set back to factory. They would not send me a file to do it myself. I do not blame them. I doubt Ayre would like their code emailed about.

ToddRaymond and udesign48 like this.
  10. udesign48

Thanks for the info.

Many of these portable DAPs seem to have firmware issues and they don't get updates.

defbear likes this.
  11. yangian
    Pono's balanced mode really has amazing sound quality!

ToddRaymond, udesign48 and barondla like this.
  12. barondla
    Yes it does. The designer, Charley Hansen, used balanced to counter some of the weaknesses caused by other choices - like discrete components and zero negative feedback. Great hi fi equipment attempts to come up with the perfect recipe.

If the player is new, wait until it finishes breaking in. It will sound even better.

yangian and udesign48 like this.
  13. udesign48

I can't wait to check out my Pono balanced out!

I ordered used Pono player, Sony XBA N3AP, Sony dual 3.5mm balanced cable, comply foams.
    I hope this set up will beat AK380 or AK240. Some guys said this set up is better than Sony ZX2.

barondla likes this.
  14. yangian
    I could be wrong. But I remembered someone said 3.5mm was not a real balanced mode. It should be 2.5mm or 4.4mm or xlr

15. udesign48
    Dual 3.5mm is balanced. But it's rare...

Sony is selling their dual 3.5mm MMCX for only $111.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-Replacement-Headphone-Cable-MUC-M12BL2-1-2m-Japan-new/252892963843

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/res/manuals/4594/45944150M.pdf

Specifications
    Length

approx. 1.2 m (47 1/4 in)
    Plug type

Player side
    Gold-plated 3-pole mini plug
    (balanced connection) × 2
    (For the supported equipment,
    refer to the separate list of
    connectable equipment.)

Headphone side