The perfect sealed cans
Dec 2, 2007 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bifcake

Headphoneus Supremus
I am looking to get a set of sealed headphones that as close in sound to the
Senn hd 580/600 as possible.

I am stuck between wondering if I should get the HD201's, 205's, Beyer 231's, HD 280's or just go all out and get the HD-25-1 II

I would use these primarily in my office, where it gets pretty noisy, so I'm looking for good isolation (I don't like in-ear headphones), but I'm also thinking that it would be nice to have portable sealed cans so that I can take them on a plane or a train. This is why I was considering the hd25's as the perfect all around set, but I don't know if they isolate as well as the 280's and at $200, they're quite on the expensive side.

Another thing to consider is whether I would be better off getting let's say the 201's or 280's and then another portable set of cans.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Dec 2, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by bifcake /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am stuck between wondering if I should get the HD201's, 205's, Beyer 231's, HD 280's or just go all out and get the HD-25-1 II

I would use these primarily in my office, where it gets pretty noisy, so I'm looking for good isolation (I don't like in-ear headphones), but I'm also thinking that it would be nice to have portable sealed cans so that I can take them on a plane or a train. This is why I was considering the hd25's as the perfect all around set, but I don't know if they isolate as well as the 280's and at $200, they're quite on the expensive side.

Another thing to consider is whether I would be better off getting let's say the 201's or 280's and then another portable set of cans.

Why aren't you looking at the dt770's, or stuff from denon or AT?

Dec 2, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 7
I'm in the same situation! Very used to my HD-580 at home, but have been using e2c and others at work and now trying to figure out what the best closed can option would be.

Previously owned HD-280's and really wasn't impressed with them, sounded all tinny.

Dec 2, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by bifcake /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The only pair you've listed that I've tried are the HD 205s. Far and away, the most uncomfortable pair of cans I've ever worn in my life. Tight clamping force that never went away, regardless of how I tried to stretch it, and made doubly bad by the fact that I wear glasses. It's made me reluctant to try any other full-sized cans from Sennheiser.

They sounded okay, I guess. I wouldn't rate them much higher than the PX100, if at all, as far as sound goes.

Dec 2, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why aren't you looking at the dt770's, or stuff from denon or AT?

Because I'm looking to match the HD600 sound signature. AT phones are way too bright for my tastes, I haven't heard the Denons and the dt770's weren't all that impressive.

Dec 2, 2007 at 3:56 PM Post #6 of 7
I can't comment on the others, but I can confirm that neither the DT231 or the HD201 has anything like the sound signature or quality of the HD580's. Beyond that, my current closed can is the Ultrasone PROline 750, an entirely non-portable can, unsuitable for your use.

As your requirements seem pretty specific, I would certainly recommend going used, as then you can try several models without losing too much money in re-sale value.

Dec 2, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #7 of 7
Going used is fine, but which can or combination of cans?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back