The perfect pad...
Jun 10, 2005 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Oink1

Headphoneus Supremus
Having just recabled my MS1's with some silver plated copper wire (Cabling supplied by HiGHFLYiN9 - Cable god!) i thought i'd have a little 'pad rolling' session
smily_headphones1.gif

The first contender was the stock comfies - A bit of an ironic name IMHO as these pads definately are not as far as my ears go...
eek.gif
Thought the MS1's a little bright sometimes with the comfies, the recable however seems to have tamed this a little
smily_headphones1.gif

Second up to the plate was a pair of deftly modded (Courtesy of Lisa - May she one day return) Senn 414 pads in the stock funky yellow!
cool.gif
These are a lot softer on the old ears, and with the hole mod tame the highs further and deepen the low frequency response at the cost of a slight reduction of speed/definition - A pleasant listen none the less
smily_headphones1.gif

Our final pretender to the crown? - [size=small]Bowls![/size] - Run all ye who fear the mighty itchyness!
eek.gif
biggrin.gif
I can honestly say that combined with the sonic charecteristics of the cable the bowls are what i've been seeking in my pad quest (Bowls kindly shipped to me FOC by cannedheat - Thanks dude!
smily_headphones1.gif
) I have an increased sense of 'airyness' over the comfies and the Senns and the bass 'speed' that was somewhat lacking with the Senns is back! They are even the most comfy of the 3! (IMHO - been wearing them for 3+ hours without issue
smily_headphones1.gif
)

[size=large]Viva la Bowls![/size]
biggrin.gif

Just thought i'd share....

Jun 14, 2005 at 1:51 PM Post #4 of 8
Is that a Beyer headband pad I spy on those Grados? I was thinking of doing the HD580 headband cushions on my recently acquired SR60's, although truth be told, they feel just fine as is..

Jun 14, 2005 at 1:55 PM Post #5 of 8
yep, that's a big yes on comfort for some folks, the DT770 beyer snap on headband pad. just 12 bucks shipped i believe.

Jun 14, 2005 at 2:12 PM Post #6 of 8
Do you have to remove the original Grado headband in order to put it on, or does it just snap on around the original pad?

I think the HD580 headband cushion only runs about $8. I'd have to velcro it or something to the original headband (those black velcro dots would work perfect and allow for quick removal if necessary).

Jun 14, 2005 at 2:16 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
Do you have to remove the original Grado headband in order to put it on, or does it just snap on around the original pad?

I think the HD580 headband cushion only runs about $8. I'd have to velcro it or something to the original headband (those black velcro dots would work perfect and allow for quick removal if necessary).

it will snap over anything in the prestige line. if you have a beefy band like the RS-1, you'll have to take off the headband first (but hey if you have a RS-1, you probably don't need this cushion lol).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back