The PENON official thread
Mar 20, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #7,996 of 13,592
My Serial told me it'll be here tomorrow... I only have tonight to hook up with other IEMs.

Mar 20, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #7,997 of 13,592
Cable question... the difference between the Leo and Leo Plus is the modularity, right?

Though 4.4 doesn't seem to be available on the base Leo, at least not anymore.

But if I'm correct and the base Leo's connector is soldered on, wouldn't that have significantly more contact with the strands over the Leo Plus?

Mar 20, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #7,998 of 13,592
Cable question... the difference between the Leo and Leo Plus is the modularity, right?

But if I'm correct and the base Leo's connector is soldered on, wouldn't that have significantly more contact with the strands over the Leo Plus?
I have a feel that a connector that is pure is better than the modular ones. Looking at the modular parts they look very small and thin. If it matters, I'm not sure.

While the option to swap from balanced to 3.5mm is a luxurious thing to have.

Mar 20, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #7,999 of 13,592
I have a feel that a connector that is pure is better than the modular ones. Looking at the modular parts they look very small and thin. If it matters, I'm not sure.

While the option to swap from balanced to 3.5mm is a luxurious thing to have.
That's my exact thinking, too. But impossible to know without trying them both, and I'm not crazy enough to buy two otherwise identical cables. But if the standard Leo came in 4.4, I'd probably get it, assuming material, construction, geometry, etc. were the same with the Plus.

Mar 20, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #8,000 of 13,592
I have looked at this cable a few times, but never pulled the trigger. Might pull the trigger then, not sure which model I will pair it with yet :thinking: But I have been interested in trying a cable with some gold added in.
The leo plus, you will not regret it. It's got gold and silver and palladium. And some Penon Secret sauce. And I'm using the 4.4mm plug just fine.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2023 at 8:12 PM Post #8,002 of 13,592
Mine arrived today! Definitely a lift at both ends.
Congrats!

The leo plus, you will not regret it. It's got gold and silver and palladium. And some Penon Secret sauce. And I'm using the 4.4mm plug just fine.
I just emailed Penon (hotmail ftw) and asked them if the Leo (non Plus) was available in 4.4.

Mar 20, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #8,004 of 13,592
Lift a both ends of my mouth. Started out as a grin, full smile now! :gs1000smile: I'm just going to sit back and enjoy the music and try not to analyze to much.

I'm glad your clarified the lift at both ends because I assumed you meant emphasized lows and highs.

Mar 20, 2023 at 8:54 PM Post #8,005 of 13,592

@Redcarmoose do you have any thoughts on this one?

Mar 20, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #8,006 of 13,592
I need some help please. I'm not sure if the Penon Serial unit that I have has a driver issue or not, however, I noticed some audible distortion on most tracks and is more obvious on higher volume. I switched the cables just in case but it is still the same. Is it normal? Will it go away after 200 hrs burn in? I emailed Penon already but this the response:

It's normal that the distortion sound and much more audible on higher volumes. Strong musicality is also a kind of distortion, that's the taste what we listening to. pls just burn-in it to 200hrs and start to stabilize.

I'm quite concerned that my unit is damaged. :frowning2:
these can be heard normally from upper bass, the entire middle range frequencies, lower treble...

Mar 20, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #8,007 of 13,592

I have both. Diff in tuning also.
The Leo og is close to your typical silver, but not that super bright.
The Leo plus, as described previously...

Mar 20, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #8,008 of 13,592

Nope, I opened my Leo plus, the group of strands are all soldered on.
They're really very soft, to group them together, with a proper tool is not difficult.
When i bought both Leo og and the Plus, it's not yet offered on modular terminations...

Mar 20, 2023 at 11:24 PM Post #8,009 of 13,592
Nope, I opened my Leo plus, the group of strands are all soldered on.
They're really very soft, to group them together, with a proper tool is not difficult.
When i bought both Leo og and the Plus, it's not yet offered on modular terminations...

Yes, I figured they were soldered there but the connectors just click on, those aren't soldered.

But you're saying the Leo Plus sounds better or different than the OG. The current Leo is described like the Leo Plus, just without the interchangeable connectors.

So did they update the wire on the base Leo? Is it the same wire and construction as the Plus?

Mar 21, 2023 at 12:31 AM Post #8,010 of 13,592
Surprised delivery today. Thanks @Penon. Got my custom Totem, Solar, Impact cables with 4.4mm Purple copper plug and Orange Tips for testing and feedback.

Initial impressions
Orange Tips
Penon Serial (250+hrs burn in)
Stock Cable
SAMSUNG S20 Note Ultra
Venture Electronics Abigail Pro Dongle.

It takes what makes the Serial a fantastic IEM and amplifies it. The engaging bass becomes more emphasized especially in the sub area with more controlled boom in a very good way. The treble is still non-fatiguing and smooth, and the slighty forward mids help the vocals stand out without masking the instruments in the background. Overall it's a major improvement over the stock eartips. As far as construction it's similar to Softears UC in terms of feel and materials. It feels great in my ear even though it's been only 15 minutes. More impressions later on but I think Penon Orange eartips will be another great option to pick from and it greatly synergizes with the Serial. Impact impressions later on.

Edit1:
Bore Size: Regular
Stem Length: Regular
Feel: Soft w/ Sturdy Stem
20230320_203808.jpg

Attachments

• 20230320_203808(1).jpg
    20230320_203808(1).jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230320_204156.jpg
    20230320_204156.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0