The PENON official thread
Jan 13, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #6,991 of 13,613
Penon Impact looks like a really good Iem, however I join the trend that prefers bass played by a dynamic driver, in my case I expect 4EST + 4BA + DD with a good punch in the sub-bass region, I'll be front row.

I look forward to the impressions and reviews of Impact :)

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #6,992 of 13,613
Penon Volt been itching my purchase finger for a while, going to see where the Impact lands price wise before deciding anything

Quite ambitious name Impact. But I'm guessing that's what they are aiming for.

Jan 13, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #6,993 of 13,613
I rather want DD bass. Then something like a Tribrid.

BA bass can be done, would say that both SeaAudio Bravery and SA6 does it well. In both of them you get tight and well extended bass that is fast, kinda reminds me of Audeze LCD 2 bass.

Penon Impact looks like a really good Iem, however I join the trend that prefers bass played by a dynamic driver, in my case I expect 4EST + 4BA + DD with a good punch in the sub-bass region, I'll be front row.

I look forward to the impressions and reviews of Impact :)
Really well done BA bass is different. It’s more cutting and has a transient bass response that DD can’t touch, ever. Actually I would say the SA6 halfway gets there, it gives a person a taste of the potential yet only partially. When done well BA bass can be drawn up which arrives at a place in the stage that is made for it by its BA brothers. Thus there is a style (often) of BAs blending with themselves better due to using the same driver methodology. On another level this speed is arrived, but more than that, an inner texture that is made of way more detail. I look at DDs as showing the outside of the bass note, and BA bass as showing the inside. What’s inside is often a presentation which can hold real timbre in note construction seemingly glossed over and covered-up by the bigger more rough bass creations DDs perform. The DD outside note is connected more with room response and decays, yet those traits also seem to ultimately defocus (slightly) the actual bass note?

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #6,994 of 13,613
Really well done BA bass is different. It’s more cutting and has a transient bass response that DD can’t touch, ever. Actually I would say the SA6 halfway gets there, it gives a person a taste of the potential yet only partially. When done well BA bass can be drawn up which arrives at a place in the stage that is made for it by its BA brothers. Thus there is a style (often) of BAs blending with themselves better due to using the same driver methodology. On another level this speed is arrived, but more than that, an inner texture that is made of way more detail. I look at DDs as showing the outside of the bass note, and BA bass as showing the inside. What’s inside is often a presentation which can hold real timbre in note construction seemingly glossed over and covered-up by the bigger more rough bass creations DDs perform. The DD outside note is connected more with room response and decays, yet those traits also seem to ultimately defocus (slightly) the actual bass note?

Any outstanding iem according to your experience with good BA bass?? Thanks :)

Jan 13, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #6,995 of 13,613
This new Impact seems to be a direct Trailii competition. Price and cable have a lot to do with this successs, as the cable on the Trailii is a big part of it's sound. Fortunately I have one on hand to compare!!

Jan 13, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #6,996 of 13,613
Well, I have heard stuff like the qdc Anole VX, but only in passing tests at a shop. With ownership it would be my Noble Audio Encore. With such extra support from the WM1Z and Totem cable the bass response is quite to my liking. Offering a different style of bass response which I describe in the previous post. The bass events occur with the Encore due to an almost neutral bass with a recessed lower midrange, which opens a window to view the sound events down below. Such bass holds inner details which by far surpasses any DD I’m aware of. Such tones can hold wavering which gets covered-up by DDs ruggedness. Such wavering is in essence bass detail in the way the notes have a quick attack and decay which shows this inner oscillation, never viewed as fast with DDs, as they just can’t perform what a bass BA does in agility. But more than the agility, there is this effect of hidden bass, which attacks unexpectedly which is just maybe BA speed in the end? Those pinpoint transients which DDs just can’t do.
Any outstanding iem according to your experience with good BA bass?? Thanks :)

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #6,997 of 13,613
It’s kinda like BA bass does the attacks better and DD does the decay better. But when you have BA done right there is so much detail in the transient, that’s what you get into. There is also positioning that DDs don’t do. The BA style of bass has a place into the stage that is more defined, where DD is more omnipresent. IMO

But the bass tremolo effect just can’t be done with DD bass as they simply move too slow for it to occur.

Jan 13, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #6,998 of 13,613
I own several several sets and probably the best one with bass response is the STORM. BA bass but fast, punchy, clean and with plenty of control. It's mesmerizing. The Maestro SE has more impact, it rumbles but there's something about the STORM that makes it special.

Jan 13, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #7,000 of 13,613
Exactly my thoughts! I'm sooo ready to buy the Volt especially knowing that IMPACT has no DD (I'm a bit biased in DD's bass no matter how good BA's bass is lol).
Well, that's the thing, there is room for both technologies to flourish.

Jan 13, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #7,001 of 13,613
impact 1.jpg

impact 2.jpg

Just received the Impact - a Canadian Tour Unit. Even before I graphed it, I knew it sounded familiar.. A Traillii like tonality with the Jewel like resolution.

Jan 13, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #7,003 of 13,613
impact 1.jpg
impact 2.jpg

Just received the Impact - a Canadian Tour Unit. Even before I graphed it, I knew it sounded familiar.. A Traillii like tonality with the Jewel like resolution.
I just got the Indigo and have been toying with Trailli - really curious about this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back