The PENON official thread
Dec 14, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #6,796 of 13,588
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-penon-official-thread.934523/post-17294909
Must say I'm conflicted on FAN 2, don't want to sell it because of the timbre and technicalities.

But I can max have them in my ear for 30min. While the Serial can stay for hours.

What's the closest tonality IEM around or above the price of FAN 2?
Sounds like a Globe set required. Less technical than the F2, But Less bright, too.
Serial has more bass, but coming very close, compared to the F2
But first, can you try some smaller bore tips? on the F2

Dec 14, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #6,797 of 13,588
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-penon-official-thread.934523/post-17294909

Sounds like a Globe set required. Less technical than the F2, But Less bright, too.
Serial has more bass, but coming very close, compared to the F2
But first, can you try some smaller bore tips? on the F2
Thanks but it's the angle of the nozzle that makes take them out for a pause. The highs is no problem, been a Beyerdynamic head for a long time. Never understood the problem with the Beyer peak🤔

But yeah the Globe is interesting, my impression from reading around seem like a fun and full sounding IEM.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #6,798 of 13,588
Thanks but it's the angle of the nozzle that makes take them out for a pause. The highs is no problem, been a Beyerdynamic head for a long time. Never understood the problem with the Beyer peak🤔

But yeah the Globe is interesting, impression seem like a fun and full sounding IEM.
I usually prefer the deep insertion of IEMs. Avoid inner ear resonances, which can be different for everyone, and affect what you hear. In addition, it is more difficult for them to come out when you move. In the FAN2 it has happened to me a bit like you. In my case, a perfect fit on the right side, but pain on the left for the first few days. In my case I have solved it with one size less of the Azla Crystals on the left side. Waiting for the Dunu S&S tips. For me, the perfect fit without being a custom IEM is the Yanyin Moonlights. I don't like the short bore of the Vortex, for example, but I understand that it is a way to reach more people.

Dec 14, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #6,799 of 13,588
Have some tips on the way to try, usually buy them in large or XL. So had to get more inventory in medium and small to try out with FAN 2.

Dec 14, 2022 at 5:50 AM Post #6,800 of 13,588
Must say I'm conflicted on FAN 2, don't want to sell it because of the timbre and technicalities.

But I can max have them in my ear for 30min. While the Serial can stay for hours.

What's the closest tonality IEM around or above the price of FAN 2?
Have you tried any foam tips? They might help with comfort but alter the totality though. I went down a size from M to S for the Serial and it fixed the niggle I had in my right ear.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 6:14 AM Post #6,801 of 13,588
Love my Penon Volt - Burn in 300h+. Such a natural, lush listen. I think the Totem can be a little too forward in the mid-bass at times - like it's over excited, and I actually prefer the Leo plus silver cable for some genres, which is a smoother and easier listen, than the Totem. Ever so slightly less detailed or maybe just softer through the frequency range. TIP on Totem: I carefully removed the extra plastic cover by the ears for better comfort and applied a little glue near the red and blue rings for strength.

Penon Volt Totem Leo plus.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2022 at 6:22 AM Post #6,802 of 13,588
I don't like the short bore of the Vortex, for example, but I understand that it is a way to reach more people.
Sedna Standard grey stem
I use this for my short nozzle in ears. Now they (the shells) sit properly on the concha, without ever pushing into the canals...

Dec 14, 2022 at 6:23 AM Post #6,803 of 13,588
Liking my Serial, particularly with the extra treble EQ from the Zen Can. There is a Globe for sale locally. Is it different enough to try out or not?

Dec 14, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #6,804 of 13,588
Liking my Serial, particularly with the extra treble EQ from the Zen Can. There is a Globe for sale locally. Is it different enough to try out or not?
They're totally Different, compared to the Serials. Mid bass emphasis, better treble response, compared to the Serials

Dec 14, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #6,805 of 13,588
The Globes for me take it to the next level over the serials... I love the Serials, bought it twice, but it can run a tad dry sounding compared to the lushness of the Globe and Fan 2 IMHO :)

Dec 15, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #6,807 of 13,588
Need your opinion, fellow headfiers! Should i take a chance and grab used mint Orb for ~$110? Thank you.
You're asking a thread of mostly Penon fans, many of whom wax lyrical about the Orb, and find charm in what others may call weaknesses. Expect many "Yes, especially at that price, what a steal!" answers by coming to this thread to ask.

Personally I'm not a big fan of the Orb and think it is overpriced new, by a *long* shot. At $110 it might be worth it but for my taste it's debatable that it competes with other sets in the price range. It should be an easy resell at that price if you don't like it though, so why not?

Dec 15, 2022 at 12:59 AM Post #6,808 of 13,588
The Globes for me take it to the next level over the serials... I love the Serials, bought it twice, but it can run a tad dry sounding compared to the lushness of the Globe and Fan 2 IMHO :)
Despite the Serial's excellent fluidity, Globes run "faster", pretty much similar to the Fan 2. F2's are even faster in picking up more details over the Globes without congestion...

Dec 15, 2022 at 1:04 AM Post #6,809 of 13,588
The Globes went to someone else. I will keep myu eye out for some FAN 2s instead.

Dec 15, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #6,810 of 13,588
Need your opinion, fellow headfiers! Should i take a chance and grab used mint Orb for ~$110? Thank you.
If your into vinyl, you should Love 'em. I've been into it, since time immemorial, My first LP was the superlative Led Zeppelin IV.
Every time I play the same on digital format with the Orbs, it always gave me goose bumps, like rockin' back into time on my parent's living room...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back