The PENON official thread
Nov 22, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #6,526 of 13,343
Yesterday I tried F2 with original cable with symphonic software, concertos for violin and orchestra... It's a fact it miss some highs it is clearly cutted, so the silver S2 is mandatory also for them, like this i can't enjoy all the emotions that string could convey. Very well the microdynamics as I already told.

As in the jazz i often seek for All the mouth sound that comes with the sax playing for example or the metal timbre of the trumpet, I'm sure that with original cable you can't enjoy them, and I'm not sure S2 will could entirely solve this missing.

Nov 22, 2022 at 3:47 AM Post #6,527 of 13,343
Hi.
I'm sorry for talking about another project/brand, in Penon's post, but from your description of coherence and timbre for classical, I think you'll be interested in the project of @tgx78 discussed here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tgxear-discussion-thread.964894/

I haven't tried them yet, but I will receive my Serratus in a couple of days!
I've check the link, I'll never take again a iem with fixed cable... I've two cats... But it's interesting, thanks. It's always common that earbud has a wider scene that in ear.. so every one who tries them the first time is initially shocked. And i love this too. But usually the frequency response is so unpredictable due to lack of adhesion to the ear canal, that's why they usually pump up the basses (and bye bye definition), or they chose to accept the imbalance. I better try this one: https://penonaudio.com/earphones/earbuds/ourart-qj21.html

Nov 22, 2022 at 5:49 AM Post #6,528 of 13,343
Yea, fwiw within the Penon family, I also noticed that the Serial might benefit from going a size (or half a size, for Spirals and such) down for deeper insertion.

As I would concur. (2) pairs of Sedna Earfit Shorts, the blue stem. 1 size smaller makes a big difference, shells sitting comfortably well in the Concha.
IMG_E1843.JPG

Whilst in other news...
IMG_E1857.JPG

:ksc75smile:

Nov 22, 2022 at 6:55 AM Post #6,529 of 13,343

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221122-125158.png
    Screenshot_20221122-125158.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 7:50 AM Post #6,530 of 13,343
Yesterday I tried F2 with original cable with symphonic software, concertos for violin and orchestra... It's a fact it miss some highs it is clearly cutted, so the silver S2 is mandatory also for them, like this i can't enjoy all the emotions that string could convey. Very well the microdynamics as I already told.

As in the jazz i often seek for All the mouth sound that comes with the sax playing for example or the metal timbre of the trumpet, I'm sure that with original cable you can't enjoy them, and I'm not sure S2 will could entirely solve this missing.
With Fan 2 I use Obsidian penon cable.
I prefer it over OS133 standard cable.
... And, with Obsidian, you can change the Jack.:wink:

Nov 22, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #6,531 of 13,343
Scriabin magic on a wonderful Fazioli piano. Excellent on vortex, nasal on F2.
Preludes, Etudes & Sonatas Nos. 4 & 5 di Vadym Kholodenko su Qobuz https://open.qobuz.com/album/wz5oovehrjzbb

Same effect on this wonderful album ( best track 4) Tchaikovsky, Sibelius : Violin Concertos di Lisa Batiashvili su Qobuz
https://open.qobuz.com/album/0002894796041

We got a Virtuoso in our Midst (tgx78). A single DD for classical Music IS a very safe bet. Albeit the F2 is a detail head by Penon's standards, My original Fan is better in this genre'.
Can be warm, a bit recessed on the Mids, but timbre wise, very good...

Nov 22, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #6,532 of 13,343
5CEB5917-BE23-4BC0-BEAB-DC5B91D905D6.jpeg

Those EST tweeters…

Despite having owned (and burnt in) the Volt for a long time now, I still manage to be surprised by its upper treble prowess.

This may be a rather niche use case for the Volt, but anyone here listen to ASMR? I know, who needs that when you have actual music. But it’s helped with sleep lately and I discovered that the Volt brings on the tingles like no other, especially with well-made binaural recordings. Because, stripped of music, what we have here are two elements where Volt does very well: voices - and upper treble.

The only other IEM I have that comes close is the Moonlight and guess what - it so happens that both have EST tweeters.

Now, on the balance, I will say that the Moonlight has the better and more even treble/EST implementation for most music in general. But for sheer upper treble performance - air, positional cues and such, the Volt is startlingly more subtle, detailed and fully realised than the Moonlight, and head and shoulders above BA/DD treble. Reminds me why EST, when implemented well, is the way to go for treble.

Nov 22, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #6,533 of 13,343
By the way... any tip recommendations for the Volt? I usually use the Azla SednaEarfit Crystal in all my IEMs, except in the Volt, that have a thick bore, and Crystal doesn't fit.I am using the Xelastec, but they are already somewhat deformed and it is time to change. What I usually look for, is that they interfere with the original sound as little as possible, that they have a good seal, and I usually like that they are a little sticky so that they stay in place.

Nov 22, 2022 at 2:24 PM Post #6,534 of 13,343
By the way... any tip recommendations for the Volt? I usually use the Azla SednaEarfit Crystal in all my IEMs, except in the Volt, that have a thick bore, and Crystal doesn't fit.I am using the Xelastec, but they are already somewhat deformed and it is time to change. What I usually look for, is that they interfere with the original sound as little as possible, that they have a good seal, and I usually like that they are a little sticky so that they stay in place.

Currently using ePros with mine - soft and stretchy enough to go on the big nozzles plus they famously synergize well with Penons. I like what the Xelastecs did for Volt vocals but they’re such a pain to keep clean. Sedna Max is probably a good pick too - doesn’t colour the sound and the wax guard will come in useful as well. They’re my tips of choice for the Vortex (and Elysian Diva and Dethonray Tender 1) among others, and I will probably try them with the Volt next.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #6,535 of 13,343
1669145953927.png

They are called S&S tips. the grey marshmallow looking tips on the Left of this Dunu Talos display. I posted about these tips before but I will say it again. When Dunu sells these tips. Grab yourself a few sets of these. Substantial tips. Got word from Dunu rep they will be selling them. I have a feeling they will sell out as soon as they release them.

The material is very similar to Azla Crystal tips but the shape of these tips makes for excellent seal in the ear. Very substantial tips. They project sound a bit like the epro horns but is not prone to collapse inside the ear like epros. I have been using them on just about all the IEMs I am currently reviewing and they work great on everything. I have yet to try them on the volts will try them on it soon. But for now be on the look out for these tips.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #6,536 of 13,343
1669145953927.png

They are called S&S tips. the marshmallow looking tips on the Left of this Dunu display. I posted about these tips before but I will say it again. When Dunu sells these tips. Grab youself a few sets of these. Substantial tips. Got word from Dunu rep they will be selling them. I have a feeling they will sell out as soon as they release them.

The material is very similar to Azla Crystal tips but the shape of these tips makes for excellent seal in the ear. Very substantial tips. They project sound a bit like the epro horns but is not prone to crumble inside the ear like epros. I have been using them on just about all the IEMs I am currently reviewing and they work great on everything. I have yet to try them on the volts will try them on it soon. But for now be on the look out or these tips.

Sebastian said yesterday that the SS tips have a price now and are on the cusp of release soon.

Nov 22, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #6,537 of 13,343
They sound marvelous on Penon IEMs. I hope Penon gets a hold of them and sells them on their site. Not every day we get innovative new tips that optimizes each IEM they are attached to. You guys will see what I mean. The product is genius. They remind me of inverted tips but they actually designed one that is not inverted.

The S&S Stands for Stage and Studio. They make your IEMs sound more accurate with a combination of excellent seal with some grip, does not go out of shape like the Azla Xelastics good nozzle width and length. It is like I said substantial tips.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #6,538 of 13,343
They sound marvelous on Penon IEMs. I hope Penon gets a hold of them and sells them on their site. Not every day we get innovative new tips that optimizes each IEM they are attached to. You guys will see what I mean. The product is genius. They remind me of inverted tips but they actually designed one that is not inverted.

The S&S Stands for Stage and Studio. They make your IEMs sound more accurate with a combination of excellent seal with some grip, does not go out of shape like the Azla Xelastics good nozzle width and length. It is like I said substantial tips.

Yeah, it hasn’t been since the Spring Tips came along that a new model has generated this much buzz. The AZLA SednaEarFit came close but these are hotter by far. DUNU is going to sell a literal boatload of these.

Nov 22, 2022 at 3:05 PM Post #6,539 of 13,343
ePro has been a disaster for me, they collapse as you say @Dsnuts
Since the Dunu tips is cylindrical is it hard to get a good fit? Or is it more for a deep fit?

So far the Spinfit CP100(just wish there was a XL) or Azla SednaEarfit Xelastec and KBEAR 07 is my favorites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back