The PENON official thread
Oct 27, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #6,106 of 13,596
Great impressions! Wasn’t there a mod for Volt that improved the bass? It is somewhere in this thread I think?

I don't recall seeing a mod for the Volt (I'd be afraid to try anything at all to in IEM that pricey)... were you thinking of the Vortex possibly (the single DD $219 model)?

Oct 27, 2022 at 11:47 PM Post #6,108 of 13,596
Do you must to use the Xbass button on the Go bar with the Serial ? :)
Hell no, the bass is perfectly fine without extra boost. I tried and the bass became too boomy and artificial.

Oct 28, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #6,110 of 13,596
Do you tried the basic Go Bar ?
No, just the Gold one. It’s on the warmer side with a lift in the bass section. It creates a full-bodied sound signature.

I read and heard that the standard Go Bar is a bit lighter in its tonality and tuning.

I don’t plan to try the standard Go Bar or to compare it with the Gold Bar. Just sayin’

Oct 28, 2022 at 5:23 AM Post #6,111 of 13,596
No, just the Gold one. It’s on the warmer side with a lift in the bass section. It creates a full-bodied sound signature.

I read and heard that the standard Go Bar is a bit lighter in its tonality and tuning.

I don’t plan to try the standard Go Bar or to compare it with the Gold Bar. Just sayin’
I have the standard Go Bar, not bad.

Oct 28, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #6,112 of 13,596
So I've spent some time with the Fan 2, and I've came to the conclusion that they're extremely sensitive to different tips. The spinfit CP500/155 tips work really well with them. Things sound crisp and snappy with those tips. Everything else kind of makes it sound dull.

Also, with some Mojo2 EQ, the bass really shines! Out of the box the bass sounded incoherent, but after a few hours and some EQ, It really came into its own. Im really digging the Fan 2! :)

Oct 29, 2022 at 4:39 AM Post #6,113 of 13,596
So I've spent some time with the Fan 2, and I've came to the conclusion that they're extremely sensitive to different tips. The spinfit CP500/155 tips work really well with them. Things sound crisp and snappy with those tips. Everything else kind of makes it sound dull.

Also, with some Mojo2 EQ, the bass really shines! Out of the box the bass sounded incoherent, but after a few hours and some EQ, It really came into its own. Im really digging the Fan 2! :)

My tips arrived faster than expected!
It's a little chaotic however in my work, Site, office and somewhere in Europe - the factory, lol.
Will share impressions later...
1667032557233.png

Oct 29, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #6,114 of 13,596
My tips arrived faster than expected!
It's a little chaotic however in my work, Site, office and somewhere in Europe - the factory, lol.
Will share impressions later...
1667032557233.png
Do you have any ref of these tips ?

Oct 29, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #6,116 of 13,596
Always burned in with louder than what I usually listen to, never measured it. There was an old post somewhere explained that it should be done higher than normal listening volume. IEMs usually survive accidently max volume out from amps that would kill your ear drums.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #6,117 of 13,596
I guess the Serial will be the next one, when I decide to pull the buying trigger. What loudness should I use to burn-in? 85 dB or more? I don't want to damage the drivers.

Always burned in with louder than what I usually listen to, never measured it. There was an old post somewhere explained that it should be done higher than normal listening volume. IEMs usually survive accidently max volume out from amps that would kill your ear drums.

Burn in is different for the types of drivers your dealing with. In the case of dynamic drivers or any drivers for that matter. Not a good idea to blast anything with 85dbs of volume for prolonged periods of time. That can damage the drivers especially BA drivers.

Anything with BAs in them I would burn in the earphones at actual listening volumes. Louder volumes in the case of BAs don't make them burn in faster. Just regular music at listening levels is perfectly fine. Hybrid IEMs would fall into this category as well. For dynamics you can increase the volumes slightly above listening levels but not blasting. Again moderate listening volumes is good enough.

It is the duration of the break in as well. Some folks like to give the IEMs a break in between or go straight one week, night and day. Either way works.

When I first got into the hobby, I was guilty of blasting volumes for IEMs and Cans I owned and while it worked most of the time, I did learn the hard way as it can damage drivers. Killed a perfectly fine LZ A5 doing just this.

Oct 29, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #6,118 of 13,596
My rule has been if I listen to 10o clock, then burn in is at 11. So basically one slight turn, its rather hard to measure the dB unless you have a measurement head. This should work for most people unless you listen to ear deafening volume :wink:

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #6,120 of 13,596
My Fan 2 came yesterday. I’ve only had an hour or so to listen with my m3x. @rattlingblanketwoman’s rec for final tips works best for me. Might try a few others, but final tips work well. Good fit overall. I think I must just like penon’s tuning. Wide stage, balanced tuning, and resolving enough for me. I’ll still reach for the Serial more, but right off the bat I liked the fan 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back