The PENON official thread
Jul 15, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #5,281 of 13,588
Whoa! Is it really from Penon?

That was exactly what my initial response was while I put them in my ears! This was so far removed from the usual Penon house sound that I was literally knocked off my feet! Gone is the subbass emphasis, newfound energy in upper mid and treble, smoothness stepped aside to give way to a lively sound that will make you tap your feet…a quite refreshing offering!

And yet the mids are still in the focus, just like classic Penon tuning. Yes, notes are now defined in a sharper way with much more perceived details, but the classic Penon mid focused tuning is very much evident. Difference is, unlike the previous offerings, Penon has gone the opposite way in its bass tuning, and has toned the subbass down by a couple of notch. This has given way to a highly clean and transparent midrange. The midbass still has an acceptable amount of punch, so that the low end does not seem totally hollow. The subbass roll off is slightly dissatisfactory, but the rest of the spectrum manages to compensate for it. Treble has some brilliant energy in it along with quite a nice extension - sounds sufficiently vibrant and airy, maybe very slightly on the thinner side.
Vortex has a rather intimate stage, however, I believe that is how Penon chose to tune it. The width is quite good, depth is above average, but the height is a bit less than my preference. Hence, it does not exactly create a well-proportioned, open and wide stage. However, I believe this is how Penon intended it to sound, so not really grumbling about it. However, the imaging is quite precise - which heightens the engagement factor.

20220715_140953.jpg

However, I found out that the stock cable pairs rather well with it rather than the ISN S4, which I bought as an upgrade. Vortex definitely does not need more top end extension, no, it needs some volume to its low end, and that needs a copper cable. Until I am getting that, I will stick with the stock cable. The S4 will be used with some other iem of mine.

Regarding tips, well, I went through quite some revelations:
1st, ePro horn tips are not for me, totally not for me. They are too soft to provide a good seal and hence reduced the low end further.
2nd, the stock green bore black tips - M size, did not provide well sealing being a bit smaller and softer, discarded.
3rd, decided on the Sednaearfit regular M tips. The longer stem helped in stage size, but also accentuated the upper mid harshness slightly while reducing the low end emphasis slightly.
4th, debated with myself a lot and picked the Final Type E white tips, L size. Well, the low end got some good emphasis, but the stage and note size became a bit smaller, and the space between notes decreased.
5th, finally, on a whim, tried the stock green bore white tips M size, and was surprised to find out that despite being visually similar to the black tips, they actually are a bit firmer compared to the black tips, and provide a better seal and fit. The low end emphasis was at a satisfactory level, and so were the stage, note sizes, and space between notes. Considering everything, this has become the permanent tip for Vortex. I was wondering why has Penon provided 2 sets of identical tips with different colours…but now it is evident that they are not identical - both have different purposes.

20220702_172456.jpg

20220715_140012.jpg

Vortex is really a pretty fun iem while not being too flamboyant. Yes, it has a distinct spiciness in its tuning, but I can live with it. All together, it’s a pretty unique sounding iem, and so far I am loving it.

The comparisons asked to me will be provided later. Please bear with me.
Great impressions mate, Let's meet up some day and I will also listen to it hehe

Jul 15, 2022 at 8:18 AM Post #5,282 of 13,588

That was exactly what my initial response was while I put them in my ears! This was so far removed from the usual Penon house sound that I was literally knocked off my feet! Gone is the subbass emphasis, newfound energy in upper mid and treble, smoothness stepped aside to give way to a lively sound that will make you tap your feet…a quite refreshing offering!

And yet the mids are still in the focus, just like classic Penon tuning. Yes, notes are now defined in a sharper way with much more perceived details, but the classic Penon mid focused tuning is very much evident. Difference is, unlike the previous offerings, Penon has gone the opposite way in its bass tuning, and has toned the subbass down by a couple of notch. This has given way to a highly clean and transparent midrange. The midbass still has an acceptable amount of punch, so that the low end does not seem totally hollow. The subbass roll off is slightly dissatisfactory, but the rest of the spectrum manages to compensate for it. Treble has some brilliant energy in it along with quite a nice extension - sounds sufficiently vibrant and airy, maybe very slightly on the thinner side.
Vortex has a rather intimate stage, however, I believe that is how Penon chose to tune it. The width is quite good, depth is above average, but the height is a bit less than my preference. Hence, it does not exactly create a well-proportioned, open and wide stage. However, I believe this is how Penon intended it to sound, so not really grumbling about it. However, the imaging is quite precise - which heightens the engagement factor.

However, I found out that the stock cable pairs rather well with it rather than the ISN S4, which I bought as an upgrade. Vortex definitely does not need more top end extension, no, it needs some volume to its low end, and that needs a copper cable. Until I am getting that, I will stick with the stock cable. The S4 will be used with some other iem of mine.

1st, ePro horn tips are not for me, totally not for me. They are too soft to provide a good seal and hence reduced the low end further.
2nd, the stock green bore black tips - M size, did not provide well sealing being a bit smaller and softer, discarded.
3rd, decided on the Sednaearfit regular M tips. The longer stem helped in stage size, but also accentuated the upper mid harshness slightly while reducing the low end emphasis slightly.
4th, debated with myself a lot and picked the Final Type E white tips, L size. Well, the low end got some good emphasis, but the stage and note size became a bit smaller, and the space between notes decreased.
5th, finally, on a whim, tried the stock green bore white tips M size, and was surprised to find out that despite being visually similar to the black tips, they actually are a bit firmer compared to the black tips, and provide a better seal and fit. The low end emphasis was at a satisfactory level, and so were the stage, note sizes, and space between notes. Considering everything, this has become the permanent tip for Vortex. I was wondering why has Penon provided 2 sets of identical tips with different colours…but now it is evident that they are not identical - both have different purposes.

Vortex is really a pretty fun iem while not being too flamboyant. Yes, it has a distinct spiciness in its tuning, but I can live with it. All together, it’s a pretty unique sounding iem, and so far I am loving it.

Nice feedback.I heard the same thing :wink:
Same with the ePro eartips. It's not for my ears... No fit, whatever the Size.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #5,283 of 13,588

Great impressions and agree on all your observations. You also landed on the same tip as me. I rolled through plenty and there was always something sacrificed but those are a happy medium.

Jul 16, 2022 at 1:54 PM Post #5,284 of 13,588
Another tip rec, tentatively my favorite so far - UM blue heart. Fairly wide bore. I’m using M to keep the insertion depth a little further out of my ear than with some others, still with great seal.

Attachments

• 2E1589BA-CC08-4D1A-89B4-5E29084257EC.jpeg
    2E1589BA-CC08-4D1A-89B4-5E29084257EC.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 2D1291AF-FD5B-4C22-A192-A568DECC1237.jpeg
    2D1291AF-FD5B-4C22-A192-A568DECC1237.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 7CB1FA80-E8B8-46A2-8ADA-F805031C2953.jpeg
    7CB1FA80-E8B8-46A2-8ADA-F805031C2953.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Jul 16, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #5,286 of 13,588
Revisiting the ISN S4 rec on the Vortex.
It will be more of a source and cable synergy I am thinking more than anything. This being said I am retrying out the ISN S4 using my Fiio M15 which is neutrally tuned DAP. The ISN S4 is superior to the CS819 in one key fundamental aspect that makes the Vortex sound higher end using the ISN S4 cable.. The ISN S4 resolves better than the CS819. Highs sound much more open using this cable. Imaging is enhanced due to a cleaner take on the Vortex sound. Going back to the CS819 and music has a slight warmer tilt seems to project a bit more lower mids warmth with a slight increase in bass impact due to enhancing that area, copper cores vs the ISN S4 more silver-plated presentation. It is one of those things where if you heard your music using this cable for a while and then go back to the CS819 you can clearly hear the difference in tonal character. CS819 cable does the same thing to the Serial as well as some of you have discovered. It adds a moderate stage increase vs the CS819. It sounds great using the CS819 on the Vortex amped. IFI signature.

The Fiio M15 is nothing new but it does have solid dynamics, from the dual AK4499 implementation and then Fiio tuned it to be more neutral than being too colored. It has been an invaluable tool for me to hear all sorts of gear be it earphones to cable changes.

Pros and Cons of both cables on the Vortex.
1658007663246.png
CS819
Pros:
-Good included cable, much more copper in what it does. Think natural tonality warmth and fullness.
-Matches well amplified or from a brighter source.
-Adds warmth, focus on mids body and bass impact, extension.
-Smoother if not slightly laid-back treble presentation.
-Not the most refined copper cable presentation. But that is to be expected at its RP.

Cons:
Smoother slightly laid-back treble presentation- depending on how you hear it.
Was also included with Serials so you will get 2 of the same cables here if you already own a serial
1658004772355.png
ISN S4
Pros:
More resolving vs the CS819 resulting in a cleaner tighter overall presentation.
upper mids and treble area is more focused with a slight decrease in note weight vs the CS819.
Increases imaging and sound separation by a touch.
Thinner unsubstantial bulk, light cable.
Trebles and mids sound more open due to the upper register focus.
Adds a light increase in perceived stage width wise.

Cons:
Might not match well with brighter sources.
Not as full-bodied sounding as the CS819 presentation.
Not as resolving as pure silver or higher end cable offerings.

Jul 17, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #5,287 of 13,588
Had to take care of some chores so I took the Globes with me to the outside world and wow, they do a damn good job with isolation. And that's with the flimsy ePro tips, I would imagine the isolation is even better with some thicker tips. Could enjoy music at a very reasonable volume even when walking alongside a somewhat busy road, which was a nice surprise.

I'm running into some comfort issues with these (the shells push against my ears a bit at times, it doesn't hurt while wearing them but afterwards the spots are a bit sore for a while, and occasionally the tips get uncomfortable in a way that I haven't been able to find words for yet lol, like they heat up a bit and exert pressure on my ear canal) but nothing major or dealbreaking at all, and I'm really happy it isn't cause **** if I'm not enjoying these more and more every day.

Jul 18, 2022 at 5:39 AM Post #5,288 of 13,588
It looks like the Vortex is a really small IEM. Is it longer than 15 mm on the cap? Small IEMs don't fit my ears so I'm wondering. My favourites are 24mm long.

Jul 18, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #5,289 of 13,588
vortex.jpgvortex 1.jpgvortex 2.jpgvortex 3.jpg

This thing is tiny yet has a big eveloping sound (on N6ii-ti).
digging its neutral warm-ish tonality...
This is interesting. The graph is VERY different from the official Penon graph which has a drop off at 3000-8000 of about 10 db and the spikes are at 10.000 and 15.000. This looks way more neutral.

Jul 20, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #5,294 of 13,588
So I found my tips! I used the small narrow bore tips that came with my Olina and stuffed them with comply foam from a medium T500 I chopped up. Bass is so tasty now and it smoothed the treble a bit without compromising the extension. EDIT: This is without any EQ now.

Btw has anyone noticed the pin entries are a bit shallow? My Xhins cable won't sit all the way into the IEMs
PXL_20220720_194639141.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #5,295 of 13,588
Penon Vortex are penonable IEMs.

Paulaner and Vortex are an excellent match.
1658356610161.png

These are Penon's most technical, clean and detailed IEMs I heard. The balance in tuning is outstanding. Never fatiguing. Just right. Bass, mids and treble balance is outstanding. I never heard the Dark Magician or the Oxigens , so take that as you will.
These are very well complementary to the lush, warm sound of the Serials. For me these are good allrounders. The very small shells are excellent for bedtime use. The DD driver is of high quality. So no cash grab. Penon delivers exactly what you pay for - as always.

Right now Dunu and Penon are the most trustworthy manufacturers of quality IEMs in my experience.

Penon Vortex frequency graph:
1658356635767.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back