The PENON official thread
Jan 11, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #4,201 of 13,527
ISN & Penon impressions by Dsnuts P.248
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/penon-audio-thread-post-your-impressions-here.934523/post-16678923

New
ISN Audio G4
OCC Graphene Silver-plated + OCC Graphene Gold Paint Hybrid cable
Type-6 Litz configuration
Single crystal copper mixed graphene silver-plated + single crystal copper mixed graphene gold paint hybrid cable
Environmental protection transparent PVC sheath
4 shares of 180 cores per share
Aluminum CNC alloy cutting integrated slider
Solder joint is silver–contained tin
Secondary oxidation gold foil gold ring
Gold-plated plug
Cable length: 1.2M
1641809488038.png
(Credits: Penon Audiophile Reviews)

Penon are being generous with the G4!

08FA33AA-B942-4C35-9B7A-21D6E8473C92.jpeg

Jan 11, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #4,202 of 13,527
Ok. So I thought I'd get the FAN out today just to see how it would pair up with some new gear. I can't recall exactly how many hours my set has on them, nor what my previous chain was when I last listened but things are sounding ALOT better than what I remember. At the time of purchase I thought there was too much sibilance and shout with a overly dry tuning with not enough midbass for my taste but I'm really not seeing that anymore. Maybe it's the tips? Maybe it's the awesome RU6? Maybe my tastes are changing...I don't know.

Pairing is RU6 (high gain, NOS) > CEMA UPOCC > Crystals > FAN.

Staging and imaging are very pleasantly spaced, there's that lovely single DD coherency, a nice rumbling sub-bass and classic Penon midrange and treble. If I recall I purchased it at a discount during a sale. What a scorching bargain. The FAN has officially usurped the BL-03 in rotation (and quite easily might I add).

_DSC3015.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #4,204 of 13,527
Penon Mix cable has me amazed.
I’ve noticed it imparts its own consistent signature to both Serial and Oriole Isa, ie all freqs boosted, sharper/brighter, forwarded, more impactful, what have you.
To me, it’s less suitable for Serial than it is for Isa.
Serial loses some coherence, like it would prefer to be warmer, more laid back than Mix insists.
With Isa, the two or three other cables I’ve tried, some portion of the midrange, maybe upper, has steadfastly remained recessed. Not problematic but distinctive. Mix pulls that freq portion forward to the extent that Isa sounds quite different than I’m a accustomed, more enjoyable even.
I’ve not noticed this with a cable before, so plainly as with Mix today, imparting its own consistent and distinctive tone. I suppose it helps (in this incidental experiment) that Isa & Serial are both DD iems.

Jan 12, 2022 at 7:32 AM Post #4,206 of 13,527
Oh wow! Looks like a give away price right there!

1641990702372.png

Jan 12, 2022 at 9:16 PM Post #4,208 of 13,527
Tale of 2 graphene cables.
DSC09399.JPG

Since the new ISN G4 is new I figured I would compare how they do vs stock ISN S8 cable that comes with a few ISN earphones The ISN H50 and the ISN EST50.

I am gonna say this new ISN G4 cable is right away an upgrade on the stock cables that come with both phones and even the CS819 that comes with the serial.

What is surprising about the new ISN G4 is that it has a much thicker weave than the Penon OSG which has a tighter more denser cores that make up the bulk of the cables. A thicker graphene 4 core cable and it looks and feels premium in the hand. So it is basically a Ohno Continuous Cast copper graphene variant mixed with a SPC OCC graphene variant. In other words, half the cores are similar by nature to the Penon OSG which cost $300. This cable is mostly copper, and I can hear its influence on the EST50 which I have connected to them now.

Right off the bat the sound is more expansive vs the stock ISN S8 cable. Not only a wider stage but the notes have better distinction, better black space around each note. This is actually what Graphene does for your earphone. Imaging gets cleaner using a graphene cable. These do remind me a lot of a cheaper more affordable Penon OSG.

Oh wait, so happens I have a Penon OSG right next to the new ISN G4.
I just threw on the Penon OSG and I gotta hand it to ISN. The new G4 cable is a bang for buck here. It does seem to have a bit more influence in the bulk being the copper element. Penon OSG is clearly superior as it separates notes even better than the new G4 but if I just didn't do a head to head vs the OSG I would have sworn I was using the Penon OSG while I was using the G4.

This being said for the bucks what Penon is asking for a set. The G4 matches extremely well with Hybrids and tribrids. It is more musical in its nature. Not as technical as the OSG but the enhancements are undeniable. The new ISN G4 gives you a taste of what the Penon OSG does and has its own flavor as well. It adds a slightly warmer tone to the host IEM music most definitely adds a greater note weight and what that increase in imaging does for your earphones is that you will perceive better dynamics. The best bass impact, a cleaner more rounder imaging for mids and the G4 adds a slight smoothening effect for the treble notes. For folks that wanted something to smooth the upper treble enhancement on the H50. Get the G4 if you don't want to spend on the Penon GS849. I am very impressed with the new ISN G4 cable it gives out about 80% of what the Penon OSG does but as you guys can see the price is not 80% of the OSG.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2022 at 9:39 PM Post #4,209 of 13,527
So the ISN G4 synergizes extremely well with the Serial. Just threw them on the Serial and compared how it sounds vs the stock CS819 cable and the G4.
DSC09400.JPG

Sound expands a touch with better stage perception, greater depth which helps again with imaging and detail of the Serial. Greater note weight for the overall sonics. Everything sounds a smidge fuller thicker more denser. Overall sound has better texture. The serial can lean a bit toward neutrality in presence but with the right cable you can lean that sound toward a fuller bodied sound and the ISN G4 does just this. I perceive better bass impact like I mentioned previously, and that added note weight helps synergize with the Serial. Excellent pairing. You want a clear upgraded cable for the Serial. ISN G4 is that clear upgrade.

Jan 13, 2022 at 6:57 AM Post #4,210 of 13,527
So the ISN G4 synergizes extremely well with the Serial. Just threw them on the Serial and compared how it sounds vs the stock CS819 cable and the G4.
DSC09400.JPG
Sound expands a touch with better stage perception, greater depth which helps again with imaging and detail of the Serial. Greater note weight for the overall sonics. Everything sounds a smidge fuller thicker more denser. Overall sound has better texture. The serial can lean a bit toward neutrality in presence but with the right cable you can lean that sound toward a fuller bodied sound and the ISN G4 does just this. I perceive better bass impact like I mentioned previously, and that added note weight helps synergize with the Serial. Excellent pairing. You want a clear upgraded cable for the Serial. ISN G4 is that clear upgrade.
How is the weight of the G4? More than PAC480, or similar to PAC480?

Jan 13, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #4,211 of 13,527
DSC09400.JPG
Please share your impressions about the G4 effect on mids/vocals quality and positioning with Serial and H50 ,
With G4 cable which iem has more forward and thither/full bodied vocals , thanks .

Jan 13, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #4,212 of 13,527
How is the weight of the G4? More than PAC480, or similar to PAC480?
It is a lighter cable the weave of the cores are not as dense. But it is a thicker 4 cored cable more comparable to an 8 cored variety in thickness/bulk.

The more I was using the G4 the more I realized it has its own flavor vs the Penon OSG. It is more copper infused and hence will be great for BA based iems. Great for mids and bass with enhanced imaging.
Please share your impressions about the G4 effect on mids/vocals quality and positioning with Serial and H50 ,
With G4 cable which iem has more forward and thither/full bodied vocals , thanks .
I will get back to you on that as I just got the G4 and will take a more careful listen tonight if time permits. I want to say off the bat that it will be the H50 as BAs have more of an effects from cables. H50 has a bit more in the way of lower mids vs the serial but both do have good upper mid presence.

Jan 13, 2022 at 12:47 PM Post #4,213 of 13,527
DSC09400.JPG
Hi! New member here. I've just introduce myself on the new members forum: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-member-introductions-thread.717134/reply?quote=16761594

I would like to thank you for all that you contribute, and what I have learned from you in the months that I have been reading you.

As I put in my presentation, I used to be skeptical in terms of cables on the IEM, and their great difference in price. Now I am experimenting with them, and changed my mind. I have recently purchased the Penon Serial and I'm delighted with it. Above all, I like the texture of the bass, something that I don't want to lose. By changing to other cables (almost all of them silver-plated copper), I have seen that I lost some of it. One question: between the G4, the Penon Mix, or the PAC480, what would be a clear improvement for the Serial, without losing or even improving the texture of the bass that the stock cable gives me?

I was also looking for an upgrade to the Solaris OG stock cable. Since the G4 has similarities to the Penon OSG, would it be a good candidate?

Thanks

Jan 13, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #4,214 of 13,527
Hi! New member here. I've just introduce myself on the new members forum: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/new-member-introductions-thread.717134/reply?quote=16761594

I would like to thank you for all that you contribute, and what I have learned from you in the months that I have been reading you.

As I put in my presentation, I used to be skeptical in terms of cables on the IEM, and their great difference in price. Now I am experimenting with them, and changed my mind. I have recently purchased the Penon Serial and I'm delighted with it. Above all, I like the texture of the bass, something that I don't want to lose. By changing to other cables (almost all of them silver-plated copper), I have seen that I lost some of it. One question: between the G4, the Penon Mix, or the PAC480, what would be a clear improvement for the Serial, without losing or even improving the texture of the bass that the stock cable gives me?

I was also looking for an upgrade to the Solaris OG stock cable. Since the G4 has similarities to the Penon OSG, would it be a good candidate?

Thanks
I love the PAC480, especially for the price. Be warned that he PAC480 is pretty heavy and bulky around the ears.

Jan 13, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #4,215 of 13,527

Thanks
Two very different earphones you are mentioning. I have not tried the G4 with the Solaris. I can tonight for you but for the Serial. I do like the a heavier thicker copper cable variants like the PAC480 but I will give the upper hand to the new ISN G4. Graphene helps with technical details, imaging of the monitor. Your not gonna loose bass definition. You will gain definition using the G4. It is unfortunate that the Solaris is mmcx. I do like the OSG on the Solaris. You can certainly try an mmcx adaptor on the G4 and see how you like it on the Solaris.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back