The PENON official thread
Dec 31, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #4,082 of 13,348
Dec 31, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #4,083 of 13,348
Last edited:
Dec 31, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #4,084 of 13,348
Dec 31, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #4,085 of 13,348
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! :beerchug: :L3000:
My pint of Guinness, please...

Impressed so far - I left them burn this morning for about 3 hours so not much on the clock. I note a smaller stage versus say IE900, ZEN PRO or Dark Sky but they are 3-4x the price! Lovely engaging tuning and I'm impressed by the mix of mid and sub bass - especially with genres like drum & bass. Pretty looking shells, nice cable and good selection of accessories. I'm pleased with my 2nd Penon product and won't be my last!

Happy New Year!

S-03.jpg

Dec 31, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #4,086 of 13,348
Apologies I’m a little new here, I own a fiio FD3 and am looking to upgrade. My original choice was going to be the KATO, and after they discontinued the matte version the BQEYZ Autumn was on my list. Came across a positive review for the Yanyin Aladdin then stumbled onto the Penon Serial which also seems like a good choice. I returned a Fiio FH3 for coherency and timbre issues, and settled on the Fd3. It is my favorite IEM to date, but I seek tighter bass and more resolving/extended treble while maintaining a natural sound/timbre.

If anyone could provide a comparison between Serial, Aladdin, BQEYZ Autumn, and the FD3 for reference it would be super helpful. I plan to use a Atom Dac+/Amp+
I highly recommend the Autumn to you. But I haven't heard the Serial out of the four you mentioned. The Aladdin is quite good but you're probably not going to get the treble extension/resolution you're looking for and there is BA timbre as well. The Autumn has excellent treble resolution and outstanding timbre, much improved bass response for my taste over the FD3 as well.

Jan 1, 2022 at 1:57 AM Post #4,087 of 13,348
Folks, check out the sparkle on this track, if your Serials are up to the task

Jan 1, 2022 at 3:40 AM Post #4,088 of 13,348
Like the phrase going on in and around the headfi comm., "...the Myth, the Legend..."

Do it, @Penon! :gs1000smile:

Impressed so far - I left them burn this morning for about 3 hours so not much on the clock. I note a smaller stage versus say IE900, ZEN PRO or Dark Sky but they are 3-4x the price! Lovely engaging tuning and I'm impressed by the mix of mid and sub bass - especially with genres like drum & bass. Pretty looking shells, nice cable and good selection of accessories. I'm pleased with my 2nd Penon product and won't be my last!

Happy New Year!

S-03.jpg

Nice left shell! I noticed the relatively smaller stage as well when my Serial was new. Could be actual burn in, could just be the ol brain fizzling out, but it sounds bigger now - not huge but just the right size. Would be interested to hear if this turns out to be your experience as well.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Jan 1, 2022 at 3:53 AM Post #4,089 of 13,348
Do it, @Penon! :gs1000smile:

Nice left shell! I noticed the relatively smaller stage as well when my Serial was new. Could be actual burn in, could just be the ol brain fizzling out, but it sounds bigger now - not huge but just the right size. Would be interested to hear if this turns out to be your experience as well.

Happy New Year, everyone!

Yeah it'll be interesting to hear how it evolves. They certainly seem like quite fun tuning!

Jan 1, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #4,091 of 13,348
Checking in on Serial for a listen, they've been running now for 24 hours.

I like the bass, great definition between sub and mid. Treble very nicely tuned, plenty of detail and nothing spikes or offends. Not a massive soundstage but nice and plenty of air. Mids feel like they lack body, a bit of a gulf here as if something has been scooped out - but, I'm coming from mostly listening to ZEN PRO and Timeless over the last day, both of which are quite robust in the mids - this is not a criticism, just a listening observation and I know my brain will adjust! I get also they need to clock up many more hours. Anyway, certainly impressed at this early stage!

Jan 1, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #4,092 of 13,348
Checking in on Serial for a listen, they've been running now for 24 hours.

I like the bass, great definition between sub and mid. Treble very nicely tuned, plenty of detail and nothing spikes or offends. Not a massive soundstage but nice and plenty of air. Mids feel like they lack body, a bit of a gulf here as if something has been scooped out - but, I'm coming from mostly listening to ZEN PRO and Timeless over the last day, both of which are quite robust in the mids - this is not a criticism, just a listening observation and I know my brain will adjust! I get also they need to clock up many more hours. Anyway, certainly impressed at this early stage!
Out of curiosity what source are you running them on?
Those babies need powwwwaaa!

Jan 1, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #4,093 of 13,348
Out of curiosity what source are you running them on?
Those babies need powwwwaaa!

The Cayin R01 module - I'm debating ordering E02 as it has more power. That said, Gryphon on the way so that should give me a decent amount. Surely R01 enough to drive them though?

Jan 1, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #4,094 of 13,348
The Cayin R01 module - I'm debating ordering E02 as it has more power. That said, Gryphon on the way so that should give me a decent amount. Surely R01 enough to drive them though?
Yeah should be, and it should help opening the imaging as well, R01 has superb separation and transparency.

Jan 1, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #4,095 of 13,348
Yeah should be, and it should help opening the imaging as well, R01 has superb separation and transparency.

Yes loving my Cayin, only have it about 3 weeks so it's still burning in too. Can't wait for Gryphon, taking forever to get here though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back