The PENON official thread
Dec 21, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #3,993 of 13,592
One last, gushing observation: the serial has great PRaT...that 'thing' that makes you want to tap your feet, and pump your fist when listening....

Dec 21, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #3,994 of 13,592
For the first time in my life I bought S sized tips - because my usual Azla Sednaearfits were promising but felt too big for the Serial to sit properly in my ear. They arrived today and they were perfect for the job. Great for treble, stage and clarity with no appreciable loss of bass.

(I usually use ML in Spirals, M in Sedna and L in most other tips so sizing down this far is quite new to me.)

Shoutout to @ehjie who iirc recommended the long stemmed black Sednas for the Serial :)

Just switched from Yellow Spinfit to JVC Spiral dots, and the soundstage opens up....

Spirals are great for the Serial as well - makes me realise its treble is more capable than I think. Going to try sizing down on those next so that they can sit deeper in my ears.

Bingo!

I will never miss an opportunity to buy more tips. It really is so important to find that right one for your preferences.

Indeed! And even when you think you have the right tips, an IEM like the Serial comes along and makes you wonder if you have the right size…

I tried a bunch of tips and came back to the green ones supplied by Penon. I think it is the first IEM I have ever used the supplied tips.

Yes, Penon’s supplied tips really are very good. I like the green ones as well. If I didn’t have the Spirals and Sednas (both quite spendy) I’d be perfectly happy sticking with the stock tips. (I even rate them above Spinfits and the like for the Serial, btw…)

That would be a big difference from the 3DT. UM gave a cable that I like the look and feel of but holds the earphones back from what they are capable of. The 3DT stock tips are a worse choice than the cable IMO.

I hate the 3DT cable with a vengeance :)
Mine tangles easily and earhook wires are so 2015 (or thereabouts anyway)… but anyway there’s an upgrade for it from the Penon stable and it’s the good old OS849. It rounds out the bottom end nicely without emphasising its shortcomings, and complements its stage and treble detail. Mine has been living on the 3DT for several months now and will probably never come off.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #3,995 of 13,592
I love the shells indeed... they are more diminutive than one would thing for 3DD I'll post pics near the Orb and Globe but they're more on the Orb side size wise. the fit is easy but on the deeper side.

So... first impressions!
I have set them for burn in for 8 hours before giving them a listen out of the M17 yes, flagship DAP but 3DD need power to shine so let's check out that potential!

First the overall signature is very coherent and smooth and deceptively mature in the price segment but I have come to expect that from Penon :) The stage width is above average but not the focus of the Serial. On the other hand it's a tall stage with excellent height and very good depth, which makes it really immersive.

Let's start with the bass, there is no shortage of bass presence. The sub bass presence is fantastic and the sheer power of the 10mm driver is clearly felt. This is one for bassheads no doubt about that :) I am fairly certain things will settle down and improve with burn in which is exciting as it's already very very good after just 8h burn in. Now the mid bass is just as powerful, the DD is clearly moving air there it's physical with a powerful presence when called for. It needs juice to really shine I can tell as I had to turn up the volume a bit to reach the best performance. Serial can scale for sure and to get the best bast control you'll need a powerful source. Maybe contradictory for a 300$ IEM but I think this one plugged to an affordable (169$) Zen Can (which I own and tried as well out of RS6) scales up big time in terms of control, speed and authority. A smart choice if you want to enjoy Serial to its fullest but a good DAP balanced will do the trick to a lesser extent.

Now the midrange, one of Penon strong suit and hallmark in terms of tuning... well Serial is not only a basshead IEM meant for certain genres. It's much more versatile that that and can do Jazz as well as EDM. Obviously you won't get Legend or Volt performance but the 8mm titanium plated driver sure does a superb job and again I expect things to be even better as burn in progresses. This is a full bodied, smooth and lively midrange that lives up to Penon house sound. The main star of the show is not separation though as instruments are so big sounding and authoritative, there isn't much space between instruments but they have a power that is quite addictive and immersive and fun. Some might find the midrange lacks bite but it's unoffensive and safe with a warmth infused from the bass yet the bass don't bleed into the midrange.

Last but not least, the 6mm treble PU driver was properly tuned and faithful to Penon house sound again. It features excellent extension and brings some welcome air and balance to powerful lows and a full bodied midrange. I was a bit surprised that the lower treble lacks a bit of weight which shows in piano notes, but on the other hand it's a safe lower treble with a smooth delivery. Note that all this might change as DD change more dramatically with burn in but after just 8h burn in that's how I hear it. Now the upper treble is well extended with excellent speed for a dynamic. It's not quite as fast as BA treble but still it's an excellent performance and the Serial is everything but dark or closed in. The upper treble clearly help bring air to the mix and open the Serial nicely balancing out a powerful bass and full mids. You just won't find the refinement that struck me with the Orb at this price point nor will you find the airy highs and blazing fast transients of EST but nor should you expect this. All in all Penon found a good balance to the tuning with a safe and smooth delivery that doesn't sacrifice on air and decent resolution. Things might refine with burn in obviously so this is first impressions and should be taken that way.

Overall the Serial is a faithful variant of Penon house sound taking advantage of DD qualities except maybe for a weighter lower treble I really think Serial is a well born 3DD IEM and is excellent value for money at its price point. To sound its best though it must be fed good power and juice but luckily there are interesting choices out there either in affordable DAPs like DX160 or amps like Zen Can. Heck I tried serial with the decently powerful iFi Audio Go Blu and it performed admirably. I'll come back with more impression after significant burn in but let me tell you, Penon did it again IMHO!
exciting as it's already very very good after just 8h burn in. [yes! Shocked at how great it sounds out of the box]

midrange lacks bite [but seems like it has great 'etch' texture and tone...seems rather vibrant.]

Serial is everything but dark or closed in. [seems a tad dark to me]

Great impressions! David, how much burn in do you have on it now? How has the sound evolved?

Dec 21, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #3,996 of 13,592
Second Skin @20:07 this instrument is hypnotically trippy, lol...
1640099894425.png

One last, gushing observation: the serial has great PRaT...that 'thing' that makes you want to tap your feet, and pump your fist when listening....
+1 to this...

Dec 22, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #3,997 of 13,592
Thank you, certainly looking forward to hearing how they compare with my single DDs.
Serial
Will be quite interesting to say the least. Tuning wise, will be a matter of taste.
For staging, any one will love the open, larger field...

IMG_20211222_090258.jpg

Dec 22, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #3,998 of 13,592

Yes, Penon’s supplied tips really are very good. I like the green ones as well. If I didn’t have the Spirals and Sednas (both quite spendy) I’d be perfectly happy sticking with the stock tips. (I even rate them above Spinfits and the like for the Serial, btw…)

I A/B'd all my tips including Spirals and various flavors of Sednas and still preferred the stock green ones.

Dec 22, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #4,000 of 13,592
I A/B'd all my tips including Spirals and various flavors of Sednas and still preferred the stock green ones.

I've had that experience with the green core Penon tips too. They stack up remarkably against other brands' which are more regarded, and I use them on multiple IEM sets I have. Currently using Some SednaEarFit light short tips that I got in, and I think those are just a hair better.

1640215495915.png

Dec 23, 2021 at 3:20 AM Post #4,001 of 13,592
Serial
Checkout the trailer, Adrian's latest flick. That Sub bass! won't be surprised this set will multi purpose as tv, movie and gaming otg monitor

Dec 23, 2021 at 3:23 AM Post #4,002 of 13,592
IEM off topic for a minute
Sound Magic 4
1640247672536.png
1640247735271.png

Looks like a colour match for the Volts :heart_eyes:

Dec 23, 2021 at 4:30 AM Post #4,003 of 13,592
2415EB83-49DA-4F11-96CA-020111621C6F.jpeg

@rawbine recognise this setup from somewhere? :)

Quick one to say the M6 (21) is in the house and it’s the perfect companion for the musicality of the Serial and Volt. The air, staging and level of detail it immediately brings is nothing short of addictive.
3F66286E-C4BB-43EA-9971-160ABB06AB95.jpeg

Doppelgänger reporting in. :L3000:

So very glad you sprung for the M6 (21)! It is as you said, both Shanling & Penon house sound are indeed a great match. And it gets even better after all those fancy capacitors got burn in proper. By the way, are yours the never version with 64Gb of storage?

Dec 23, 2021 at 9:58 AM Post #4,004 of 13,592
Serial
Checkout the trailer, Adrian's latest flick. That Sub bass! won't be surprised this set will multi purpose as tv, movie and gaming otg monitor

Oh yes, the sub bass on the Serial is really something!

IEM off topic for a minute
Sound Magic 4
1640247672536.png 1640247735271.png
Looks like a colour match for the Volts :heart_eyes:

There‘s ear-tips pairing, cable rolling and now color matching. :deadhorse:

Dec 23, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #4,005 of 13,592
3F66286E-C4BB-43EA-9971-160ABB06AB95.jpeg
Doppelgänger reporting in. :L3000:

So very glad you sprung for the M6 (21)! It is as you said, both Shanling & Penon house sound are indeed a great match. And it gets even better after all those fancy capacitors got burn in proper. By the way, are yours the never version with 64Gb of storage?

I actually had to check… it’s the older version. All my music lives on micro SD cards anyway for easier DAP-rolling so idk, I guess haven’t noticed.

Burn-in won’t take long at the rate I’m going… though tbh I’m so happy with the synergy I don’t actually need it to change from what it already is.

Today’s combo:

B59A8314-B0B9-4182-B63F-BC0CE6D8CFC1.jpeg

(I just love looking at all the little drivers)

It’s almost as though I’m listening to the Volt anew, only better. It’s literally showing me strengths I didn’t realise it had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back