The PENON official thread
Nov 29, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #3,737 of 13,534
Whoa, Serial is quite good right out of the box. As Dsnuts stated, very cohesive and detailed... with great timber, no weirdness. As lauded as the 3DT is, when I had it there was just something I couldn't get on with, think it was some "chestiness" and slightly off tonality in the mids. Mids also seemed a tad recessed to me. Serial has none of those problems, and is what I was hoping the 3DT would be. Not even burned in yet. This IEM will certainly get a good deal of ear time even in light of some of the other higher priced ones I've picked up recently.

Curious to hear your thoughts versus Timeless - Serial, Kato and Timeless are 3 'cheeky' last of 2021 purchases that I'm debating!

Nov 29, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #3,738 of 13,534
46F7E0DB-E6F6-470F-AFAC-594540B50C32.jpeg

The Serial has landed, first impression coming up soon.

Nov 29, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #3,739 of 13,534
Curious to hear your thoughts versus Timeless - Serial, Kato and Timeless are 3 'cheeky' last of 2021 purchases that I'm debating!

So I just did a quick comparison with both (Serial & Timeless)... keep in mind that the Serial only has a few hours on it so far, and I haven't even tried out my favorite cable, or found the most ideal tips yet. So what I immediately hear is quite a similar timber between the two, and very similar bass reach. But the Serial has a touch more physicality to the lows. Tonally speaking it's funny how similar they are regarding vocals / midrange. Treble extension and quality is likewise very much in the same vein. Neither have any sibilance (that I've heard yet). But probably the biggest difference is a grander sense of space with the Serial. It really shows how the Timeless' staging is hemmed in a bit by comparison.

Nov 29, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #3,740 of 13,534
But probably the biggest difference is a grander sense of space with the Serial.
Thank you for your comparison.
I have 2.5 hours before the BF promo ends.
One of the reviewer said the Timeless' soundstage is quite narrow and imaging is also pretty bad.
Are you perceiving the same on the Timeless?

TIA

Nov 30, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #3,741 of 13,534
I wouldn't consider the Timeless' stage narrow per se, or the imaging bad... To me, the soundstage is acceptable, and imaging is actually above average. I think of imaging as how an IEM digs in and is able to place instruments and sounds within a given space.... and in how detailed a manner it does that. To my ears, the Timeless is quite detailed and images rather well.

The Serial just has a bigger sense of space. Better height, depth, with width maybe being a tossup (Timeless is actually pretty wide - just not very 3D sounding).

Nov 30, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #3,742 of 13,534
The Serial just has a bigger sense of space. Better height, depth, with width maybe being a tossup (Timeless is actually pretty wide - just not very 3D sounding).
Thank you so much for your reply.
I decided to proceed my order for Timeless as I am also curious of planar.

Perhaps, next year I will taste the sound of Penon.

Nov 30, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #3,743 of 13,534
So I just did a quick comparison with both (Serial & Timeless)... keep in mind that the Serial only has a few hours on it so far, and I haven't even tried out my favorite cable, or found the most ideal tips yet. So what I immediately hear is quite a similar timber between the two, and very similar bass reach. But the Serial has a touch more physicality to the lows. Tonally speaking it's funny how similar they are regarding vocals / midrange. Treble extension and quality is likewise very much in the same vein. Neither have any sibilance (that I've heard yet). But probably the biggest difference is a grander sense of space with the Serial. It really shows how the Timeless' staging is hemmed in a bit by comparison.

That's great, thank you. Definitely leaning towards Serial.

Nov 30, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #3,744 of 13,534
I wouldn't consider the Timeless' stage narrow per se, or the imaging bad... To me, the soundstage is acceptable, and imaging is actually above average. I think of imaging as how an IEM digs in and is able to place instruments and sounds within a given space.... and in how detailed a manner it does that. To my ears, the Timeless is quite detailed and images rather well.

Congratulations, hope you enjoy the Serial! I see you also have the Oxygen - how do they compare to the Serial? Cheers

Nov 30, 2021 at 4:55 AM Post #3,745 of 13,534
8EDC0029-8D5E-4450-83D0-20E7FE47B626.jpeg

Very delighted upon first-listen*, the Serial is indeed very coherent in both timbre and tonality as @Dsnuts observed. I’d categorized it’s sound signature as warm, smooth, analog yet technical pre burn-in.

The lower shelf is very tastefully tuned, linear, well textured, extended and have a pretty healthy reserve in both quantity and energy should a track calls for it. As for the midrange I come across it as transparent, well textured with good resolution and importantly vocals are properly forward. Treble on the other hand is slightly elevated but at the same time polite making the top end isn’t as airy, sparkly or extended as it should be.

Detail retrieval is very good unlike clarity which is average at this point making the Serial somewhat mellow or less dynamic sounding. Note weight is full bodied but not excessively and somewhat rounded if I were to nitpick.

Sounsdstage is spacious where width is fairly wide yet sounded a tiny bit compressed in the midrange. Both depth and height seems to be lacking some breathing space where imaging took a minor hit probably caused by a combination of softer notes definition as well as lacking a bit of air, sparks and extension up top. Instruments separation are however brilliant.

Overall I’m very pleased with the Serial and I reckon it will take a hundred hour or so for it to fully open up being an all dynamics in-ear. Can’t wait!

*Paired with the green thicker-stemmed ear-tips, cs819 and 9038sg3.

Nov 30, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #3,746 of 13,534
Nov 30, 2021 at 9:37 AM Post #3,748 of 13,534
LOL

Anyway...
1636810020787.png
(Me)

Most probably next month, a production unit - like what you folks will be buying as my unit is being purchased by me.
If all will be good, the H50 will also be purchased. I skipped the H40 over the Orb last time...
Alrighty, Let's get it on... :ksc75smile:

Nov 30, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #3,749 of 13,534
I gave Serial another listen on the 24th hour mark. The shortcomings I noted previously are mostly gone. I’m now greeted with sonics that are more nuanced with crisper notes, larger soundstage, airier, sparkly and extended treble. It’s amazing what a day worth of burn-in could do to dynamic drivers.

I’ve also tested the blue thinner-stemmed ear-tips, not a night and day difference though soundstage is perceptibly more spacious but at the expense of notes being kinda edgy and sounding a little echoey.

6CA276E9-1BFD-444A-A52E-7B754554B3CA.jpeg

Fantastic stock cable I must say.

Nov 30, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #3,750 of 13,534
I gave Serial another listen on the 24th hour mark. The shortcomings I noted previously are mostly gone. I’m now greeted with sonics that are more nuanced with crisper notes, larger soundstage, airier, sparkly and extended treble. It’s amazing what a day worth of burn-in could do to dynamic drivers.

I’ve also tested the blue thinner-stemmed ear-tips, not a night and day difference though soundstage is perceptibly more spacious but at the expense of notes being kinda edgy and sounding a little echoey.

6CA276E9-1BFD-444A-A52E-7B754554B3CA.jpeg

Fantastic stock cable I must say.
I been using epro ep00 very happy with it. Both green and blue stock tips also not bad. Stock cable definitely is very good pair up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back