The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Oct 21, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #811 of 2,849
They're here.  For 30 dollars, these things are impressive.  Most people here are willing to spend more on headphones, and I encourage them to, but for all of our friends who wouldn't dare spend money on a headphone, these are so easy to recommend.  Bass goes deep and hits hard, I was pleasantly surprised when I put on Doctor P's "Sweet Shop" and it hit the low bass drop.  Well done.

Highs aren't bright or sparkly, so detail and spacial retrieval isn't the best, but its hard to complain for 30 dollars.  Highly recommended for a cheap pair of on-the-go headphones.

Oct 21, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #813 of 2,849

Quote:
They're here.  For 30 dollars, these things are impressive.  Most people here are willing to spend more on headphones, and I encourage them to, but for all of our friends who wouldn't dare spend money on a headphone, these are so easy to recommend.  Bass goes deep and hits hard, I was pleasantly surprised when I put on Doctor P's "Sweet Shop" and it hit the low bass drop.  Well done.

Highs aren't bright or sparkly, so detail and spacial retrieval isn't the best, but its hard to complain for 30 dollars.  Highly recommended for a cheap pair of on-the-go headphones.

The highs believe it or not is masked by the thick pads that are on there.  I know that sounds like an excuse for them but what the velours do is unmask a layer of the highs. Giving the overall signature more definition and better highs. If you heard my HTF600s with the velours there is no way anyone will say the highs are lacking or recessed. To the overall sound now they are perfect.

Actually I was expecting more like.. These are ok.. the bass is just ok.. the mids are kinda harsh. CuZ you are listening to them open box!!. I don't blame you as I did the same. lol!! . You better give them that burn. Glad you got them better late than tomorrow I suppose.  Believe that they will get better.

Wait till it gets some hours pumped into them drivers. Then listen again...Repeat till the full meal deal.

Oct 21, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #814 of 2,849

Quote:
anyone know where to order these in sydney?

I believe RPGwizard was saying somehting about how Amazon.com.uk will send them anywhere in the world and for decent shipping rates as well. You might want to check that web site out..Let us know if you find them or get them there. It will help out others that want to try them.

Oct 21, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #816 of 2,849
Why are these sounding SO MUCH better, the more I burn them in (use them)... it's crazy...

Oct 21, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #819 of 2,849

Quote:
@dsNUTS

Have you received your JVC HA-M750?  I wonder how would they compare to HTF600?

I have a feeling they won't. I don't think we will find a gem such as these HTF600 for quite some while. If they got the typical JVC sound the M750 probably has smoother/thick sounding midrange that isn't as detailed and slightly veiled highs and bass that's quite reverbey but yea it could be an entire new driver used so doesn't have to be the case.

Oct 21, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #820 of 2,849

Quote:
I have a feeling they won't. I don't think we will find a gem such as these HTF600 for quite some while. If they got the typical JVC sound the M750 probably has smoother/thick sounding midrange that isn't as detailed and slightly veiled highs and bass that's quite reverbey but yea it could be an entire new driver used so doesn't have to be the case.

I'm beginning to think all inexpensive headphones have this sound signature.

I listened to my daughter's Koss PortaPros for a while last night and I would describe them like that too. They aren't as smooth/refined sounding as the HTF600 and vocals aren't quite as forward, but I was surprised at how tight the bass was and how good they sounded. Definitely put into perspective how high above their class the Panny's are. The Panny's cost about the same but sound, look, and feel much more expensive than the PortaPros.

My HTF600's are sounding better still this morning - I'm shocked. I listened to some tracks from The Cult "Electric" and The B-52's and the bass has definitely tightened up significantly from what I remember. That's the toughest thing about evaluating headphones - trying to remember what something sounded like yesterday - or even an hour ago. I'm not sure how much is break in and how much is me getting used to them (probably a little of both). I'm going to buy a second pair of HTF600's to compare new to broken-in. Looks like my daughter is getting a new set of headphones! I really didn't expect this high quality sound for $30.

EDIT: Looks like Amazon upped the price to $40 and is sold out. $30 was a no-brainer but $40 feels like too much to spend just for kicks.

Oct 21, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #821 of 2,849
I just called Sweetwater about the backorder status of the Beyerdynamic velour earpads.

They said they were expecting a shipment yesterday but it didn't arrive. I am "in line" for a pair and they will ship the day they arrive at their store.

Very friendly and professional customer service. If you don't mind waiting a bit, I think they are a good reputable vendor with the best price going.

Oct 21, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #822 of 2,849
After giving them a good, solid burn-in yesterday, something seemed strange...

The HTF600 is now a bit less sensitive overall, and it seems to have LOST bass impact. It still extends down to 30 Hz, but it's as if it's lost some of its punch for some reason. Not completely punchless, but not what I remember out of the box.

Is there such a thing as too much volume during burn-in (not enough to blow the drivers, but enough to make them act as loudspeakers in a quiet room)? It's either that or some psychoacoustic effect...

Oct 21, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #823 of 2,849

Quote:
After giving them a good, solid burn-in yesterday, something seemed strange...

The HTF600 is now a bit less sensitive overall, and it seems to have LOST bass impact. It still extends down to 30 Hz, but it's as if it's lost some of its punch for some reason. Not completely punchless, but not what I remember out of the box.

Is there such a thing as too much volume during burn-in (not enough to blow the drivers, but enough to make them act as loudspeakers in a quiet room)? It's either that or some psychoacoustic effect...

I Felt something very similar, bass diminished, around 24-30 into the burn in. Now I am arriving to 50 hours and the bass is back, more controlled and in similar quantity as before it decided to take a vacation.

Oct 21, 2011 at 12:01 PM Post #824 of 2,849
Just got an email notification saying mine were delivered.  I'm excited to get home after work and try these guys out!  Going to watch some "been-meaning-to-watch" movies tonight with them through my PS3... hope they aren't too 'meh before the burn-in.

Oct 21, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #825 of 2,849

Quote:
I Felt something very similar, bass diminished, around 24-30 into the burn in. Now I am arriving to 50 hours and the bass is back, more controlled and in similar quantity as before it decided to take a vacation.

Funny you mention this because that's exactly whereabouts I started having 2nd thoughts about the bassresponse and went back to XB500 for a little while but then went back to Panasonics again and have again become more satisfied LOL. At one point I also thought it had lost its bass impact.

I'm currently probably around 40~50hrs use mark and right now they got plenty of bass impact, similar to XB500 in midbass but a little less from like 50Hz or so downwards. I have EQ'd up the deep bass 31 - 62Hz range quite a bit though but I've done that since start and despite I did it sounded like the EQing didn't do much at one point, now it responds better to the EQing again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back