The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Oct 20, 2011 at 1:48 PM Post #766 of 2,849
Sepultura.. Crank this up if your metal fan!!

These guys opened up their show with this.. UNREAL!!

Oct 20, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #767 of 2,849

Quote:
Is your AVR-1000 about 10 years old? It looks a lot like the AVR-1800 I had as my first home theater 5.1 receiver at about that time.

You know they cram a lot of boards in those AVR's and the headphone stages are not known for their quality. Not even discrete. I have listened to all of my headphones through my current Pioneer AVR (Class D 140W/ch) and while there is ample power to drive them, music sounds dry and lifeless. One dimensional I'd say. I wonder if that's what you're hearing from your Denon? I'll bring my Peachtree Nova and HD600's next time I'm working down that way...

I wouldn't doubt it.  I got it for $30 at Goodwill:).  It works fine for my purposes, and there are plenty of headphones I've used through it that don't sound dry and lifeless.  Furthermore, I've tested headphones through both the Denon and the Fiio E9 I used to own, and I couldn't discern any appreciable sound quality differences (except with the noticeable hiss that's to be expected from the headphone out on a receiver).  Maybe my ears aren't that good, but I'm satisfied with it.  And my Boston HD5s sound gooooood from it (although that could just be the speakers themselves).

Oct 20, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #768 of 2,849
I found a top-rated seller on ebay who ships it to Brazil. Now, I don't know if I wait till it gets available on amazon or buy from this backupdog fella (Bargain Brothers Electronics).

Another question: which one is better to use with an iPod to listen to metal/ambient: Shure SRH 440 or SRH 550 or RP-HTF600-S?

Oct 20, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #769 of 2,849

Quote:
I wouldn't doubt it.  I got it for $30 at Goodwill:).  It works fine for my purposes, and there are plenty of headphones I've used through it that don't sound dry and lifeless.  Furthermore, I've tested headphones through both the Denon and the Fiio E9 I used to own, and I couldn't discern any appreciable sound quality differences (except with the noticeable hiss that's to be expected from the headphone out on a receiver).  Maybe my ears aren't that good, but I'm satisfied with it.  And my Boston HD5s sound gooooood from it (although that could just be the speakers themselves).

I was happy with my Denon too. I only replaced it to get HDMI and hi-resolution capability for my home home theater.

Oct 20, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #770 of 2,849

Quote:
I do admit that speaker driver burn-in is plausible (for many of the reasons you point out). That's why I am open to it and am trying it now - in spite of the fact that I have never noticed the phenomenon with any of the speakers or headphones I have owned over the years.

My Panny's are cooking with some Pandora streaming club/trance music as I type this. I took a little sneak listen to them this morning (after burning all night) and the jury's still out. I'll report back tomorrow.

But you have to remember one thing.....at a certain price point burn in of the driver is completed before it's even received by the build house.

Thats the spec that a manufacturer demands for a product at a certain price point.

My good friends at Image Dynamics car audio burn in the ID Max 12 for several hours after assembly....this is a $450 street price subwoofer built in the USA.

They have the lower line but still amazingly performing IDv2 subwoofer built overseas.....and theres no budget allowed for burn in since the street price is less than 1/2 of the IDmax line of subwoofers.

They still recommend 20 to 30 hours of low level listening for all their subs regardless of price point.

The IDv2 subs do change for the better much more so than the IDmax subs.

You see my point?

Oct 20, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #771 of 2,849

Quote:
I found a top-rated seller on ebay who ships it to Brazil. Now, I don't know if I wait till it gets available on amazon or buy from this backupdog fella (Bargain Brothers Electronics).

Another question: which one is better to use with an iPod to listen to metal/ambient: Shure SHR440 or SHR550 or RP-HTF600-S?

Your on a HTF600 thread and you are asking if we will recommend anything else?. .

Trance Ambient EDM all need this sound signature to sound right in my book..Get one and see how you like it. It is easier to try the cheaper one. If I tell you. These cans will sound the best for Ambient you just gotta believe that myself and every single one of these guys that are crazy over these will recommend anything else on there would be kinda nuts.

See if you can track down a set of velour beyer pads as well.. I like my HTF600s over my SRH440.

Oct 20, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #772 of 2,849

Quote:
And that my friend is the only logical reason I can think of why these Panasonics are sold for so cheap! lol

Yes sir.

I would say it's like a DIY headphone on a small scale.

And I'm not talking about pulling the cups apart and stuffing them with all sorts of laundry and goopy stuff.
wink.gif

Oct 20, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #773 of 2,849
Damn you, Dsnuts! And Malveaux too!

Velour pads are understandably sold out/backordered everywhere, but I got an order placed with Sweetwater and they'll ship when they get their stock. No rush/hurry with these as I need to have a friend forward these to me. Hell, I haven't even received the HTF600 yet 
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 20, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #774 of 2,849

Quote:

But you have to remember one thing.....at a certain price point burn in of the driver is completed before it's even received by the build house.

Thats the spec that a manufacturer demands for a product at a certain price point.

My good friends at Image Dynamics car audio burn in the ID Max 12 for several hours after assembly....this is a $450 street price subwoofer built in the USA.

They have the lower line but still amazingly performing IDv2 subwoofer built overseas.....and theres no budget allowed for burn in since the street price is less than 1/2 of the IDmax line of subwoofers.

They still recommend 20 to 30 hours of low level listening for all their subs regardless of price point.

The IDv2 subs do change for the better much more so than the IDmax subs.

You see my point?

Yeah, makes sense. But when Panasonic specs a headphone for build in China, how do they ensure that the sound will IMPROVE with burn-in? These aren't matched drivers, and they have no control over how the consumer will drive them, so how can they ensure post delivery quality or consistency?

Oct 20, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #775 of 2,849

Quote:
Damn you, Dsnuts! And Malveaux too!

Velour pads are understandably sold out/backordered everywhere, but I got an order placed with Sweetwater and they'll ship when they get their stock. No rush/hurry with these as I need to have a friend forward these to me. Hell, I haven't even received the HTF600 yet 
tongue_smile.gif

I should have bought the entire beyer velour stock at every store before I made this thread.!

Oct 20, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #778 of 2,849
It doesn't hurt to ask :wink:
I'll wait a week and see if it'll be available at amazon.

Quote:
Your on a HTF600 thread and you are asking if we will recommend anything else?. .

Trance Ambient EDM all need this sound signature to sound right in my book..Get one and see how you like it. It is easier to try the cheaper one. If I tell you. These cans will sound the best for Ambient you just gotta believe that myself and every single one of these guys that are crazy over these will recommend anything else on there would be kinda nuts.

See if you can track down a set of velour beyer pads as well.. I like my HTF600s over my SRH440.

Oct 20, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #779 of 2,849

Quote:
It doesn't hurt to ask :wink:
I'll wait a week and see if it'll be available at amazon.

If you ask that same question to other headfiers that don't have these. They will easily say the SRH440 are this and that. That is just because they havn't tried the HTF600. I can and will recommend a phone this great for the cost..Let us know how you like them once you get them. Plus you gonna trust a Sepultura fan? Or some dude that never heard of em.?

Oct 20, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #780 of 2,849
Fairly evenly balanced but boxy sounding....boosted lower mids. That's what I'm hearing of late with these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back