The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Oct 18, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #631 of 2,849

Quote:
Is there any comparison between the HTF600 and the Superlux HD 660? I've tried the Superlux and found the sound really good for a 38 euros headphone. I was wondering how the HTF600 would sound compared to it.

Curious about this too, Superlux were supposed to remind Headfonia of the HD-25 in sound sig. but they were $80 shipped to the US so i said forget that. "Forward, musical, PRat" is what i hear about all 3 of these headphones.

Quote:
Wait, you're saying these have the Grado sound? I haven't tried any Grados but know they are known for a very forward midrange (well highs too ofc). So you think the midrange really can compete with Grado's in forwardness (ie. how loud/boosted/up-front that range is)? I didn't even think the midrange was forward enough for my taste so I did the mod I've been describing here lately and it got it more forward so lol. I've always imagined I'd like the Grado's midrange but never tried them because of the lack of subbass response. Oh well this Panasonic has the sound signature I'm looking for, especially after the simple mod, having a very forward midrange is among the most important things to me even if I still love a strong bass presence, I hate headphones with a V-shaped sound signature which many do have, I'd rather take an upside-down V-shaped frequency response!

I don't even know what midrange is Mr.! Seriously how do you distinguish where Mid starts and ends? If they made a sound file that could give me examples that would be great. They just remind me of the Grado because they are forward and clear, which is something when coming from the HD280 originally, they were laid back and boring i don't know how i lasted so long with just those headphones. These sound awesome and that's as big as my audiophile vocabulary gets
blink.gif

Oct 18, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #633 of 2,849

Quote:
medium volumes have nice bass presence.. Though I have to admit higher volumes makes the drivers vibrate like crazy.. Quite a very entertaining trait of the HTF600.. You know you hit the right notes when your drivers violently vibrate on your ears.. Forget about the HARX700.. Wait till you hear what these sound like.. You would have been pissed if you got a HARX700 and then gotten a HTF600.. No comparison really. So what if your phone leaks a little. They wont bother your next door neighbor too much.. Worth the risk Imo.

Thank you
tongue_smile.gif

I think I'll try to sell off my AD700...  What would be a fair price to ask without shipping on 3 months old pair in excellent shape?

Oct 18, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #634 of 2,849
Oh no you diiiiint! Gonna drive down the price on mine! Ok i'll wait for you to sell yours first.......

Oct 18, 2011 at 7:02 AM Post #635 of 2,849

Quote:

Thank you
tongue_smile.gif

I think I'll try to sell off my AD700...  What would be a fair price to ask without shipping on 3 months old pair in excellent shape?

Quote:
Oh no you diiiiint! Gonna drive down the price on mine! Ok i'll wait for you to sell yours first.......

My fondest memories of my AD700 was
1) opening the box to see that they would do PRINCE justice
2)initial wow factor that they have a huge sound stage

My not so fond memories on them
1)Damn these are big , borderline clownish
2)Wheres the bass? Hearing a thud instead of a BOOM in shooters. Same in music.

in all fairness the AD700s are ok.. While they have a clean sound and definition in music seem special.. In reality they are so bass anemic what you end up hearing is 40%highs 35%mids and 25%lows

That is like dating a woman what looks like a man. something just not right.. I think once you figure out there is something just not right they are religated to gaming duties..  For a used AD700?  I say $70 if you can get it.. Throw your good friend a favor for a quick sale.. Just for him $50.. So you can get a HTF600 and some velours.

Oct 18, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #636 of 2,849
The more punchier/faster, not the very deepest bass these headphones really hits really hard, about the same as XB500 in this kind of bass while losing to it a bit in subbass especially <60Hz.

This is a good example where the Panasonic hits like a hammer to your head-kind of feeling. (especially the bass that kicks in at 3:45 and 5:46) With the Panasonic it's a bit more controlled and you hear less of the deep bass and mostly the midbass punch while XB500 is more wild and has more of the deep subbass presence in it too and bass reverb (tbh it seems like the way it was mixed in the track also has to do with it) that is on the border of overhelming the midbass tone (well it's quite 50/50 ratio), on the Panasonic more like 35/65 % deep/mid bass ratio. The bass kick in this track is tuned so it hits with both a deeper subbass tone as well as an midbass tone at the same time.

I did boost the 31-62Hz range on the Panasonics to make it even but this headphone responds quite poor to EQing which is a shame. Would have been nicer with a little better bass extension and then it had been perfect, hardly any headphones have flat/even bass response from like 20Hz to 200Hz though, XB500 pretty much does, LCD-2 another but is ofc much lower in quantity. Bass evenness from the lowest tones I can hear to whereabouts the lower-mids starts, from around 15Hz to  200~250Hz or so has always been an important factor to me which a huge reason I've also enjoyed XB500 so much, not cuz of its strength but the evenness in the bass response.

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:17 AM Post #637 of 2,849

Quote:
Thanks so much for a prompt reply.  Hmmm I'm a little worry now LOL... I guess RX700 would be a better choice if I'm looking for something with more insulated.   How are they at medium sound levels?  Do they need good sound level to bring best of them... i.e. bass? 

Yeah I can see my ars being fired at work in my cube after 2 minutes of listening to AD700 LOL :)

I work on a cube environment, these Pannys SUCK here! lol
I like to listen to music on medium to loud levels and it leaks out like crazy!
People know when I switch headphones really fast! (I use closed Shure 940s which do a good job
isolating and the Pannies! :wink:)

Still, on medium levels the sound is good and Bass is really present (compared to my bass-shy Shures...)
but I really get more enjoyment when they are a bit loud! Not sure if the velour also add a bit of isolation but due to
the nature (design) of the headphones, I doubt it.

Enjoy your new cans!

P.S. For cube environment, definitely closed cans!!! :wink:

Oct 18, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #638 of 2,849

Quote:
Bummer.  Wanted to check out that Shrillex video, but it's blocked for copyright.

Aw, crap! It wasn't blocked for copyright last time I checked. Fortunately, I found one that wasn't blocked.

Quote:
Oh yes I am familiar with this tune.. I have a feeling you will open your new HTF600s and start to listen to them ASAP.. You might be disappointed at first.. A new HTF600 is actually a bit bass shy.. When you hear them out of the box you won't hear what they can do...I keep on saying this but if you must listen to them out of the box.. Throw them on your heaviest bass tunes fairly loud  for at least 4 to 5 hours before you listen to them. I actually recommend 24 hours but if you must.. They absolutely need a burn before they sound proper. Enjoy your new phones and I eagerly await your take on them.. 

So the burn-in brings out the bass in particular? Gotcha.

I don't have them yet, but the UPS truck should show up within the next few hours.

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #640 of 2,849

Quote:
People know when I switch headphones really fast! (I use closed Shure 940s which do a good job

Still, on medium levels the sound is good and Bass is really present (compared to my bass-shy Shures...)
but I really get more enjoyment when they are a bit loud! Not sure if the velour also add a bit of isolation but due to

Enjoy your new cans!

You guys thought about getting some IEMs?  I know there are 2 parties here at headfi. The IEM group and the HP group. I know most if not all you guys are into HPs but if I was working in a cubicle I would be all over an IEM.  I know IEMs aren't for everyone but to me it is so simple. You guys would be surprised how good Iems are how great they block outside noise. It is just you and your music. I have a 30 minute commute and I use one of my Iems and they are awesome. I can even recommend one that is the bassier equivalent to the HTF600s that cost $20.  I suppose in ear stuff is ok for some and not for others.. Well AMD7674 if you need an isolating phone for work. I just ordered a JVC HAM750.  I will let you know how they are once I get them. Maybe something for your work environment without bothering anyone.

Since I use both. I will tell you non IEM users. You guys are missing out on some mind blowing sound that comes form little in ears..It is my opinion but the idea that a Headphone is better and gives better acoustics is actually not correct..I know many of you guys have your reasons.. They bother me or I just can't stand something in my ear.. I heard the excuses..I suppose there is something about having speakers on your head that has a coolness about it but in the end if you truly want isolation. Nothing beats an IEM. IMO.

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #641 of 2,849

Quote:
(just a quick question because i dont want to search all 43 pages for it):

which velour pads fit these pana's? im guessing its beyerdynamic, but for what model? thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-Velour-Earcushions-MDR7506-Headphones/dp/B0016MF7W2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1318955656&sr=1-1  These aren't a 100% necessity but they actually balance out the sound. With the origional pads they dull the highs just bit. The Beyer pads are free breathing and open so less blockage of driver meaning the highs are more pronounced with the big mids and bass therefore. More balanced. Plus comfort..Worth the extra cash.

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #643 of 2,849
Thanks gelocks...
frown.gif

I just called amazon.com to cancel the order.  It was already too late, but they said I can refuse to accept the package which would be sent back to them.  Good thing I won't be getting any penalty for it.  oh well....

Quote:

Enjoy your new cans!

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #644 of 2,849

Quote:
yea i love to wear them, so comfy and no sweating ears. im gonna order them together with the pana's
smile.gif

Let us know how you like them..I hope Panasonic noticed the sudden popularity of these HTF600s. I hope they find this thread..I hope thy make some more refined ones. I hope they give me some free HTF600s..Lol!!

Oct 18, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #645 of 2,849

Quote:
Thanks gelocks...
frown.gif

I just called amazon.com to cancel the order.  It was already too late, but they said I can refuse to accept the package which would be sent back to them.  Good thing I won't be getting any penalty for it.  oh well.... 

Sorry to hear these aren't gonna work out for you. I feel bad for insisting you get them. It is that I have both the HARX700 and the HTF600.. The sound quality difference for the same money payed is a big difference..So these absolutely must be closed? I suppose your only real choice for closed can that is an all arounder would be the JVC HARX700s, unless you want to spend a bit more..To be fair they are good cans for the cash..Just not at the level of the HTF600s..But for your needs they will do just fine. The HARX700s game really well also..

Didn't you say you got 2 of the HTF600s? Can't you get a HARX700 for work and the HTF600 for your home? If you end up selling your AD700 that would probably pay for both actually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back