The PANASONIC RP-HTF600-S headphones. More fun than the HD650?
Mar 28, 2016 at 3:41 AM Post #2,836 of 2,849
Hi,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. It shows that I keep using it until now. The sponges which cover the drivers are deteriorating on mind. Any ideas what would be a good replacement? The pads itself is still fine. I did try to recycle my old Philips HP890 pads on these, since I like the velour. Did not work since the Philips is round and this are more oval in shape.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Any ideas what material to use to replace it. It seems that it is glued on to the base.

Thanks

Apr 4, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #2,837 of 2,849
  Hi,

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. It shows that I keep using it until now. The sponges which cover the drivers are deteriorating on mind. Any ideas what would be a good replacement? The pads itself is still fine. I did try to recycle my old Philips HP890 pads on these, since I like the velour. Did not work since the Philips is round and this are more oval in shape.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

Any ideas what material to use to replace it. It seems that it is glued on to the base.

Thanks

Remove that deteriorated sponges asap because those tiny deteriorated sponge parts can get in to the driver... and get a pair of Brainwavz hm5 pads. If you like velour and want more isolation then get Brainwavz hybrid pads.. or get one of their velour earpads if you don't want any isolation and want more open and less bassy sound signature.

May 21, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #2,838 of 2,849
Hi all, just wanted to post a review I did of this headphone - the only one I have that I wasn't haunted with cognitive dissonance over. I'm writing reviews to try my hand at improving my writing abilities, so any and all feedback on the written review would be greatly appreciated.
Link: http://www.head-fi.org/products/panasonic-rp-htf600-s-step-monitor/reviews/16022
Also, crazy that this humble old headphone is now #45 on Head-Fi. Not sure if it was always there, but I think it deserves its place.
Oops, spoiler for my review...

Jul 18, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #2,844 of 2,849
I sadly learned they just discontinued these a few weeks ago. That's why the price skyrocketed, they're collectibles now. They were still selling for the original 35 dollar price one week, the next week they were gone...These have been my daily drivers for a decade, and the original cable remains intact. I was considering a backup pair, looks like I'll have to take extra-good care of these now.

About 7 years ago, I splurged on the 35 dollar Beyerdynamic 250 velours. My ears have always been too big for the stock pads, the Beyers are perfect for me, and still remain in awesome shape, def worth the cash.

With a nicer pad these cans are just about the best bang-for-buck you could imagine, especially considering the durability. The angled driver is especially nice. These forums is where I discovered them, I hope everone who bought them still has theirs, and that Panasonic chose not to cheap out on the successor.

Jul 18, 2019 at 3:28 PM Post #2,845 of 2,849
Hi,

Thanks

Brainwavs aren't the only option. Any Mdr-v6 pad will fit. I returned my Brainwavs sheepskins when I got my Defean sheepskins. They are larger, hold the can a little further from your ears, and more "leathery". They're only 20 bux on Amazon. They have a very thin layer of fabric covering the driver, which gives a more open, airy sound. They also unclude an optional foam layer you can insert below the fabric, if you prefer the more muted sound. I love having the cans not touch my ears. Judging by how that foam has rotted, I suspect you may prefer it as well.

Jul 18, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #2,846 of 2,849
Wow, I didn't know that a thread existed for the RP-HTF600-S. I also think that the RP-HTF600-S is indeed one of the best bang-for-buck headphones on the market, even with the stock pads. I had one years ago and it's sound signature reminded me of the Sennheiser HD600. I thought it was kinda like a closed-back HD600 with lower/more accurate/more precise bass.

Sep 16, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #2,847 of 2,849
I bought a pair of these because if this thread and I now have two of them I'm housing in an old Quad set of Headphones.

I think the driver's are great but not the build Quality it is so terrible they make Skullcandy feel super premium.

LoL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back