The pain of walking into a hifi store...
post-9458265
Thread Starter
Post #1 of 18

kvtaco17

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 29, 2013
Messages
1,656
Reaction score
128
Joined
Mar 29, 2013
Posts
1,656
Likes
128
So today I walked into a small shop in Minneapolis ( needle doctor) to pick up a pair of sr60i's for another modding project... And I ended up auditioning most of the grado line. I loved the rs1, the detail was simply awesome (love those mids and highs) the bass was very good compared to every stock grado I've heard thus far.

then came the rs2 similar to the rs1 but not the same...

ps500 was next on my list (never have heard them before) and holy poop... Tons of bass (for a grado) without bloat, good mids and well presented treble ( the rs1 is slightly more revealing) but man... These cans are buttery smooth and extend very well at both ends... These do everything well, and are very polite sounding for those sensitive to treble.

long story short, I impulse bought the ps500... My fiance is going to kill me... (our wedding is the 25th)

maybe she'll forget because the wedding is so soon?

so now I own 3 pairs of grados the ps500,sr225i and sr60 that was woodied and magnum v5 ized...

I have a problem lol
 
     Share This Post       
post-9458301
Post #2 of 18

KamijoIsMyHero

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 6, 2012
Messages
1,479
Reaction score
63
Joined
Oct 6, 2012
Posts
1,479
Likes
63
I feel the same just browsing/shopping although it kinda depends on the shop itself. If the shop is big, I don't really mind walking out empty handed but if its a smaller shop, I am almost inclined to buy something.
 
     Share This Post       
post-9458303
Post #3 of 18

TMRaven

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Apr 6, 2011
Messages
7,278
Reaction score
977
Joined
Apr 6, 2011
Posts
7,278
Likes
977
When I briefly auditioned grados, ps500 was the only one I could stomach, it actually wasn't half bad. I don't think it deserves to be 600 dollars though. Nevertheless I'll eventually want to go back and give it extended listen.
 
     Share This Post       
post-9458363
Post #4 of 18

kvtaco17

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 29, 2013
Messages
1,656
Reaction score
128
Joined
Mar 29, 2013
Posts
1,656
Likes
128
When I briefly auditioned grados, ps500 was the only one I could stomach, it actually wasn't half bad. I don't think it deserves to be 600 dollars though. Nevertheless I'll eventually want to go back and give it extended listen.

grados are an acquired taste lol either you love them or hate them. I love the super aggressive/forward mids and sparkly treble.
 
     Share This Post       
post-9458414
Post #5 of 18

Focker

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Messages
4,915
Reaction score
432
Location
North Georgia
Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Location
North Georgia
Posts
4,915
Likes
432
Quote:
So today I walked into a small shop in Minneapolis ( needle doctor) to pick up a pair of sr60i's for another modding project... And I ended up auditioning most of the grado line. I loved the rs1, the detail was simply awesome (love those mids and highs) the bass was very good compared to every stock grado I've heard thus far.

then came the rs2 similar to the rs1 but not the same...

ps500 was next on my list (never have heard them before) and holy poop... Tons of bass (for a grado) without bloat, good mids and well presented treble ( the rs1 is slightly more revealing) but man... These cans are buttery smooth and extend very well at both ends... These do everything well, and are very polite sounding for those sensitive to treble.

long story short, I impulse bought the ps500... My fiance is going to kill me... (our wedding is the 25th)

maybe she'll forget because the wedding is so soon?

so now I own 3 pairs of grados the ps500,sr225i and sr60 that was woodied and magnum v5 ized...

I have a problem lol
 
Congrats! My favorite headphones :)
 
     Share This Post       
post-9458468
Post #6 of 18

kvtaco17

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 29, 2013
Messages
1,656
Reaction score
128
Joined
Mar 29, 2013
Posts
1,656
Likes
128
Congrats! My favorite headphones :)

thanks much... I think I still prefer my magnums for some things... But the ps500 does almost everything so well.
 
     Share This Post       
post-9459000
Post #7 of 18

Avincent52

New Head-Fier
Joined
May 18, 2013
Messages
27
Reaction score
15
Joined
May 18, 2013
Posts
27
Likes
15
The PS500s are really great. They've got the midrange resolving power and "magic" of the RSIs with more slam and extension and somewhat smoother highs (although the difference on the pairs I've got is rather minor and may be more a function of how the more extended bass affects the *perception* of treble.)
And that money on a pair of headphones is well spent. I've got a pair of SR-125s that date back to the introduction of the model--I was ordering 80s and John said 'how'd you like a pair of 125s?'--and 20 years later they still work fine and sound great. In that time, five $1,500 laptops have ended up in the landfill, and I don't even want to think about the printers and the phones and the....
 
Good luck, and congrats on the wedding. 
I would think that given what a wedding costs, a pair of PS500s is cheap compared to the matching tattoos for the bridesmaids and the spa days for the groomsmen. 
 
 
     Share This Post       
post-9459011
Post #8 of 18

Marximus

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 28, 2007
Messages
1,603
Reaction score
40
Joined
Feb 28, 2007
Posts
1,603
Likes
40
Yeah, just tell her she doesn't have to buy you a wedding present now.
 
     Share This Post       
post-9459016
Post #9 of 18

jackwess

fabio-fi, jackwess and formula1 are all the same person.
Joined
Jun 14, 2011
Messages
1,376
Reaction score
41
Joined
Jun 14, 2011
Posts
1,376
Likes
41
That's why i stopped going to hifi stores. 
Congrats for such nice headphones, i really love grado with wood cups. 
 
     Share This Post       
post-9459041
Post #10 of 18

kvtaco17

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 29, 2013
Messages
1,656
Reaction score
128
Joined
Mar 29, 2013
Posts
1,656
Likes
128
Quote:
The PS500s are really great. They've got the midrange resolving power and "magic" of the RSIs with more slam and extension and somewhat smoother highs (although the difference on the pairs I've got is rather minor and may be more a function of how the more extended bass affects the *perception* of treble.)
And that money on a pair of headphones is well spent. I've got a pair of SR-125s that date back to the introduction of the model--I was ordering 80s and John said 'how'd you like a pair of 125s?'--and 20 years later they still work fine and sound great. In that time, five $1,500 laptops have ended up in the landfill, and I don't even want to think about the printers and the phones and the....
 
Good luck, and congrats on the wedding. 
I would think that given what a wedding costs, a pair of PS500s is cheap compared to the matching tattoos for the bridesmaids and the spa days for the groomsmen. 
 
 
Quote:
Yeah, just tell her she doesn't have to buy you a wedding present now.
 
I'm paying for the wedding, so I see no issue lol I do agree with you about the bass extension giving me the perception that the treble is more polite.
 
...and she's pretty adamant about this being my wedding/birthday/Christmas present... which is fine with me!
 
     Share This Post       
post-9459198
Post #11 of 18

Focker

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Messages
4,915
Reaction score
432
Location
North Georgia
Joined
Nov 28, 2011
Location
North Georgia
Posts
4,915
Likes
432
Quote:
 
 
I'm paying for the wedding, so I see no issue lol
 
Well hell, in that case maybe you want to buy the rest of us some new Grados as honorary groomsmen gifts? 

 
     Share This Post       
post-9459899
Post #13 of 18

kvtaco17

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 29, 2013
Messages
1,656
Reaction score
128
Joined
Mar 29, 2013
Posts
1,656
Likes
128
     Share This Post       
post-9459924
Post #14 of 18

ProtegeManiac

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 29, 2009
Messages
15,730
Reaction score
2,740
Location
Manila
Joined
Oct 29, 2009
Location
Manila
Posts
15,730
Likes
2,740
Website
www.instagram.com
"The pain of walking into a hi-fi store"
 
Ever experienced going early to a hi-fi show? Not only did I get to listen to a Focal Stella Utopia, Sonus Faber Guarneri Homage, and Dynaudio Contour S5.4 with friends (and bandmates) from waaaaay back in high school through university, but we got to leave early - "happy" as it was - when the crowds piled up (made worse when we heard our country's President just arrived to listen to the Utopias). And then we pile into my car, and I switch on my Pioneer receiver to listen through my Focal Polyglass mids+Vifa BC25 tweets powered by a Digital Designs amplifier...and it sounds lame compared to what we were listening to just hours ago.

 
     Share This Post       
post-9459954
Post #15 of 18

kvtaco17

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 29, 2013
Messages
1,656
Reaction score
128
Joined
Mar 29, 2013
Posts
1,656
Likes
128
"The pain of walking into a hi-fi store"

Ever experienced going early to a hi-fi show? Not only did I get to listen to a Focal Stella Utopia, Sonus Faber Guarneri Homage, and Dynaudio Contour S5.4 with friends (and bandmates) from waaaaay back in high school through university, but we got to leave early - "happy" as it was - when the crowds piled up (made worse when we heard our country's President just arrived to listen to the Utopias). And then we pile into my car, and I switch on my Pioneer receiver to listen through my Focal Polyglass mids+Vifa BC25 tweets powered by a Digital Designs amplifier...and it sounds lame compared to what we were listening to just hours ago. :tongue_smile:

I wouldn't know how to control myself lol
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Top