The Other Metal Thread: No Blastbeat Metal Zone!
Jun 13, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #1,546 of 2,628
Jun 15, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #1,548 of 2,628
I saw Mastodon (for the 6th time) with Primus last week. They bring it live, but I can understand peoples' reservations. Their prog leanings are cool but need more dynamic diversity in their wall of sound perhaps. I like Crack The Skye best.

Orange Goblin is fun. Also out now is Greek power metallers, Battleroar!

Jun 15, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #1,551 of 2,628
Can't beat sword and sorcery metal, Omen is there too, nice to see they are still kicking.

Btw, been listening to Unleash the Archers, and... why the heck does the lead vocal sounds like autotune on their studio records vs live? I can't listen to that, while live it's definitely the best female vocal in the whole metal scene.

Jun 17, 2018 at 2:51 PM Post #1,553 of 2,628
All year long, the Heavy Psych, Stoner/Doom, underground releases have been amazing. Sleep, Witch Mountain, and YOB have all put out their best material ever (some would argue). I mean, YOB's Our Raw Heart is one of the finest works of music I've ever heard.

The thing is, that's the way legendary bands should be. That's why they're legends after all.

But I gotta tell ya, if I had to choose one release as "Album of the Year" at the mid-point of 2018, it has to me Messa's Feast for Water. I just keep going back to this album, over-and-over. The reason I love Doom and Heavy Psych so much is that the bands tend to put out full albums, with little or no filler. But Messa released an album so daring, original, and haunting that I just can't let it go.

Check out this tune, if you haven't already:

Jun 22, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #1,557 of 2,628
New Gaerea and Craft Albums released today. The Gaerea release sounds phenomenal, AOTY contender for me, so far. A couple of years ago Mrs T was listening to Jay Z, Drake, Rihanna etc. Today she proclaimed Gaerea as the best thing she's ever heard. I'm so proud, I'm gushing :grinning:

Enjoy (or talk amongst yourselves and generally point in my direction). Either's good :-

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #1,560 of 2,628
My Khemmis review, in full:

"Khemmis is exactly what Mastodon would sound like if they lived up to all the hype."

End review...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back