The original PX 200 > PX 200iis.
Oct 2, 2011 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

swaffleman

100+ Head-Fier
I have both...needless to say. Anyway, I had the original PX 200s first. Then I ended up getting the 200 iis in Poland. I came across a shop dedicated to selling nothing but headphones in the town of Katowice. They had the 200 iis, so I got them. 

I've been doing some side by side listening...my original impression of the original PX200s is that the bass was lacking slightly and the sound was a bit airy and warm. Not bad overall. I have seen complaints of a "murky" mid range, but I don't hear anything of the sort. The design wasn't perfect but they are comfortable and functional. They have proven to be very durable. I didn't like how the ear cups weren't fixed to stay right on top of your ears, though. With the ones I have, they sorta give in to the natural angle of the ear. They seal well enough but you have to play with them a little. Small price to pay really.

The PX 200 IIs, in comparison, have even less bass. These make the bass of the original PX 200s seem quite ample. Not only that, but the sound is noticeably more boxy and less airy. They are very accurate and balanced, and the overall clarity is excellent, but the original 200s have a more pleasing sound and more, better bass. Because the new 200s have even less bass, I think the sound impression is that they are less warm, more cold and mechanical sounding.

I will say that the new PX 200s have a better overall design and aesthetic. If only there was a way to put the drivers of the original PX 200s into the design of the 200iis...

Anyway, Sennheiser should bring back the older PX models!!!!

Oct 2, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 5
I disagree, the PX200II sounds a LOT better than the original imo. The original ones were very muddy and actually a lot worse in the soundtstage area imo. Just my impressions. This is not the case with the PX100II, though.

Oct 2, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #3 of 5
I can't agree that my original PX200s are muddy. I'll agree that the 200IIs are a bit sharper and more clear in some recordings/ranges, but I can separate a great level of detail with the old PX200s. I am just getting to where I enjoy the more full sound and the high volume of the bass of the originals more than I enjoy the sound of the 200iis. 

Oct 3, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #4 of 5
Incidentally, does anyone know how the older PX100s stack  up to the new version? I've bought the older ones on ebay for about $40, instead of spending twice that on the new ones. Good choice?

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #5 of 5
Still wondering about the old vs new px 100s...

By the way, the verdict still stands...the older PX 200's are better than the new ones. All they needed were the PX 200 II's earpads to get a good seal. Incredible phones now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back