The Open Pandora: An ultimate portable player?
Dec 12, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #256 of 364

Dec 12, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #257 of 364
Quote:

LOL.

But seriously guys, cool it. The reason this thread exists was to make the Pandora known to head-fi because it does have good audio hardware. I'm getting one soon and hopefully I can confirm that it sounds good. I'll write a comprehensive review of its capabilities once I've listened to it for a while. For now, there is nothing to discuss. Stop flaming. 

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #263 of 364
Quote:
Well, tbh, it's not mine. I just culled it from a Google search. Now if it was mine - HEAVEN!!!

So the pandora Thread has become the official  chit chat thread, till Takato14 has done the review. Maybe we can get some waiting room music. (Hi res off course)

But yes that would be a great ride:)

Dec 13, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #264 of 364
Quote:
So the pandora Thread has become the official  chit chat thread, till Takato14 has done the review. Maybe we can get some waiting room music. (Hi res off course)

I do not mean to bash, but what would give takato's review any gravitas.  He has admitted he is a kid and is waiting for his christmas so doesn't look like he has had the type of gear that would make him suitable to analyse audio.  That and he is a, for lack of a better word, pandora fanboy so again reviews on using it in a practical sense can be skewed.

Dec 13, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #265 of 364
Quote:
Quote:

I do not mean to bash, but what would give takato's review any gravitas.  He has admitted he is a kid and is waiting for his christmas so doesn't look like he has had the type of gear that would make him suitable to analyse audio.  That and he is a, for lack of a better word, pandora fanboy so again reviews on using it in a practical sense can be skewed.

I'm 19 years old first off, not a kid, and I've been in choir for 8 years. I've had private vocal lessons to better myself as both a vocalist and a musician. I'm far more qualified than a lot of people on this forum. I have a very picky ear.

Also, did you even look at my headphone inventory? I have two headphones that are extremely DAC-dependant (Beyerdynamic DT1350 and Sony MDR-SA3000), they are more than enough to evaluate the performance of the Pandora's DAC. Without a good DAC the DT1350 is unlistenable, and the SA3000's super-detail will most certainly point out any equipment flaws. Additionally, my Pro/4AAA has 250 ohm voice coils and is not easy to drive by any means, it'll be more than adequate to test the Pandora's amping power. 

I do understand why you'd distrust my review of it, however I will most certainly not skew the results in the Pandora's favor. The Pandora can use an external DAC/amp, and if the Pandora's built-in components aren't up-to-snuff, I'm not going to use them, nor will I defend their design. As far as usability goes, the only problem I'd foresee is that the headphone jack is in a bad place. Other than that the volume control and track buttons are both accessible when the unit is closed. If there are any major annoyances I will note them, but I'm used to carrying lots of huge devices with me all the time so the DS-sized Pandora probably wont be much of a bother.

Dec 13, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #266 of 364
Quote:
I do not mean to bash, but what would give takato's review any gravitas.  He has admitted he is a kid and is waiting for his christmas so doesn't look like he has had the type of gear that would make him suitable to analyse audio.  That and he is a, for lack of a better word, pandora fanboy so again reviews on using it in a practical sense can be skewed

Not sure what age has to do with it.

He probably does not have the experience of going through dozens of Amp's and a few CEIM's like some of us but yet you have to start somewhere. Takato has some good gear considering his age and he will be top dog when he is in his 30's.

His opinion might be skewed since he does not own reference DAP's like the Hifiman 801 and / or C4. Still he has an opinion and I like to hear it.

Dec 13, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #267 of 364
I also agree that at 30 he could know what he is talking about fully, heck even less time than that, I do believe though that unless you have a full knowledge of a lot of aspect of sound and other things notaving a couple of good headphones does not qualify you. He'll I had 10 years in the industry and about 15 years with high end gear and at review writing in my opinion I still suck. I genuinely didn't mean that to be offensive, 19 to me is still a kid. It will be nice to hear your opinion on the player but for anyone to bass a purchase of it or even to read it without sceptic eye would be madness.

Dec 13, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #269 of 364
Quote:
 He'll I had 10 years in the industry and about 15 years with high end gear and at review writing in my opinion I still suck. I genuinely didn't mean that to be offensive, 19 to me is still a kid. It will be nice to hear your opinion on the player but for anyone to bass a purchase of it or even to read it without sceptic eye would be madness.

So true, Review writing is an art. We have a few talented head-fiers out there.

I do not think anybody will buy the Pandora based on one review. Will be interesting if Takato takes the Pandora to a head-fi meeting/ get to gether. A comparision with a few hi-end players would be fun.

Dec 13, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #270 of 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by gidion27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So true, Review writing is an art. We have a few talented head-fiers out there.

I do not think anybody will buy the Pandora based on one review. Will be interesting if Takato takes the Pandora to a head-fi meeting/ get to gether. A comparision with a few hi-end players would be fun.

That it is; writing in general is an art.

I would really love to take the Pandora to a meeting, but there are never meetings anywhere close to me. It's always halfway across the country or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back