The Opamp thread
Feb 22, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #3,723 of 7,383
 Hello!!  I am a x-Meridian  7.1 2g owner,  and have made a custom dual To-99 lme49710HA board for its main out. 
http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=40882
You can read my rants here.

I modded my turntable with Fine 99.999 headshell wires and clips,  and custom 999 silver cored RCA plugs.
 http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?p=323623

So i started recording my vinyl.  I have found the 49710HA's to be incredibly,  incredibly detailed. The prescience of fading signals reamain perfect. With the silver wires the raw listening is harsh.
When I play back the recorded file in Diamond Cut Audio,  it sounds neutral.  When I play it back with windowsmedia player, its sounds warm. When I play it back with Foobar,  blah its tinny.  I shift the playback to digital 48khtz.  Good lord last night I was trying to record Hawkwinds- Warrior
On the Edge of Time,  and the part in the Golden Void pt2,  where the synth comes screaming in  had me jumpin in my seat,  dodging death rays, and covering my ears!!  Very Very detailed,  no dropping or smearing of signal at all.   But a lil too harsh.

Any good reccomendations?   I have one to 99 board left,  and would like to stick to that dual TO-99 as the sound is really incredible.

I have to say that the sound card,  played back through a Marantz sr7300,  into some infinity speakers with ribbons,  have made the Infinitys come alive!!  The sr 7300 has hmm looks like 2068's in it.

So I guess I'm looking for a just as detailed opamp,  just warmer, with more bass.  Still the 49710's do sound insane!!!   I will keep them for the recording part,  but want to have some opamps that will wow me when I play it back.  49710's are just a tad thin.

Thanks!

Feb 23, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #3,724 of 7,383
A few questions, for those in the know...

Would the LME49990 be compatible with the M-Stage? If so, what would be required to make it fit (assuming it isn't just drop-in)? Finally, would the drop-in class A bias mods be compatible with a fitted LME49990? 

Edit: I've heard incredible things about this opamp, and would love to give it a try asap!

Feb 24, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #3,725 of 7,383
The 49990 would be compatible as a drop in replacement. Do you know what opamps the M-stage takes in terms of singles or duals? Either way you would need 2 x 49990 and they would either be 2 x separate modules or a single module like this. I have bought 5-6 of theses of this guy and the soldering is mint and delivery quick.

I tried the class A mod and thought it made the sound thinner, more treble detail but not as full sounding, I like it without that tweak. It it a great sounding opamp, one of my firm favourites....

Feb 24, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #3,726 of 7,383
To the hardcore opamp swappers here,  If you could have an adapter made to have any features you wanted what would it have?

I am considering designing and fabricating some adapters for common type we use.  I have a few things I want to see but It would be nice to get some input from other modders also.

So what do you think?

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #3,727 of 7,383

Quote:
The 49990 would be compatible as a drop in replacement. Do you know what opamps the M-stage takes in terms of singles or duals? Either way you would need 2 x 49990 and they would either be 2 x separate modules or a single module like this. I have bought 5-6 of theses of this guy and the soldering is mint and delivery quick.

I tried the class A mod and thought it made the sound thinner, more treble detail but not as full sounding, I like it without that tweak. It it a great sounding opamp, one of my firm favourites....

Ah! That's precisely what I was looking for!! Thank you for the link SpudHarris!! 

I'm going to order up one of those right now 
dt880smile.png
. SO excited to give this opamp a try!

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #3,728 of 7,383

Quote:
To the hardcore opamp swappers here,  If you could have an adapter made to have any features you wanted what would it have?

I am considering designing and fabricating some adapters for common type we use.  I have a few things I want to see but It would be nice to get some input from other modders also.

So what do you think?

I've lurked for awhile, am still quite new to opamps, but have enjoyed my iBasso D10, and Auzen X-Meridain 7.1 (first gen) both with DIP-8 sockets... It would be nice to have adaptors that are made of better quality materials than say Brown Dog adaptors, or random eBay items. My interests would include copper or gold traces (like on those nice iBasso adaptors), and the metal conductors like pins and sockets, it would be nice to have them made of OFC copper, with decent gold plating. Not to be a snob, or go down the whole "better cables" argument with regard to adaptors, please, but for such a short signal path; maximizing conductor quality seems worthwhile.

Some adaptors I have not seen as an all in one or integrated type are: TO-99 to DIP-8 adapters, esp dual socket TO-99 to DIP-8 adapters (for single opamps). I realize I may just have yet to run across them, as I am quite fresh at opamp rolling, but I say the post, and thought I'd give my input.

Feb 24, 2012 at 6:47 PM Post #3,729 of 7,383

Quote:

So what do you think?

Pads for psu bypass caps is a must.  Since class A biasing is so popular, pads for that should be a must as well - whether biasing with just a resistor or going with the JFET cascode thing.  All the pads ought to at least be a little long like on the iBasso adapters, not just for ease of soldering, but for modifications/tweaks/etc. in general.  Also, a possibility of directly soldering pin 4 to the exposed underside pad that some chips have would be nice, too, or the possibility of connecting the underside pad to a trace that leads to a small hole on the pcb for a wire and thus a connection to ground.

Feb 26, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #3,730 of 7,383

and this mine opamp mod :) i need some caps mod maybe?

Quote:
 Hello!!  I am a x-Meridian  7.1 2g owner,  and have made a custom dual To-99 lme49710HA board for its main out. 
http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=40882
You can read my rants here.

I modded my turntable with Fine 99.999 headshell wires and clips,  and custom 999 silver cored RCA plugs.
 http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?p=323623

So i started recording my vinyl.  I have found the 49710HA's to be incredibly,  incredibly detailed. The prescience of fading signals reamain perfect. With the silver wires the raw listening is harsh.
When I play back the recorded file in Diamond Cut Audio,  it sounds neutral.  When I play it back with windowsmedia player, its sounds warm. When I play it back with Foobar,  blah its tinny.  I shift the playback to digital 48khtz.  Good lord last night I was trying to record Hawkwinds- Warrior
On the Edge of Time,  and the part in the Golden Void pt2,  where the synth comes screaming in  had me jumpin in my seat,  dodging death rays, and covering my ears!!  Very Very detailed,  no dropping or smearing of signal at all.   But a lil too harsh.

Any good reccomendations?   I have one to 99 board left,  and would like to stick to that dual TO-99 as the sound is really incredible.

I have to say that the sound card,  played back through a Marantz sr7300,  into some infinity speakers with ribbons,  have made the Infinitys come alive!!  The sr 7300 has hmm looks like 2068's in it.

So I guess I'm looking for a just as detailed opamp,  just warmer, with more bass.  Still the 49710's do sound insane!!!   I will keep them for the recording part,  but want to have some opamps that will wow me when I play it back.  49710's are just a tad thin.

Thanks!

Feb 27, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #3,731 of 7,383
 Been looking through stuff and am thinking about OPA627SM's and or a OPA2111--?.   There are AM, BM, and KM versions of these.  All reviewers have
said they are fuller sounding.  Just don't know what version they were talkin about.    CMON guys!!!  249 pages of this stuff, and no one can recommend anything???

Husker Du New Day rising almost split my eardrums!!!   It is the most trebly album I have.  Fuzztone distortion!!  Definitely made my lme49710HA's emit screetching.
hell!!!  Still on tamer less trebly records the LME's are still incredible,   what would have the same detail,  just warmer with more bass? 

Anyone?!?!?!?

Feb 27, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #3,732 of 7,383
I recon you've hit the nail on the head with OPA2111AM - I'm a big fan of this Opamp. Great detail and resolution yet full and warm also. If you go for either this or OPA627SM I'd definately get them from a reputable source (especially the 627's).

I probably still have a few 2111AM's in my box if you are interested...

Feb 27, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #3,733 of 7,383
 Hmm ok OPA2111 AM's.   But I read in the spec sheets its a dual to-99-8.  So I only need one of them?  Or 2?  Its going into the Main Front Channel of
my Auzentech card, the regular old 2 channel stereo output.

Also ive been readin about class A adpters cleaning up the sound of LME49710's.  What is that?  Link to picture appreciated!

Mar 1, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #3,735 of 7,383
Well guys, I'm trying this rather odd looking Opamp - LME49880

$(KGrHqNHJDcE8fTfy3)NBPOU6nU7kQ~~60_12.JPG

I have to say I'm liking it a lot. I've got two of them in my balanced PB-2 and they are very, very clean. Possibly the cooler side of neutral but nice detail and soundstage. A lot to like in this chip.... Anyone else have experience with it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back