The Official Violectric V200 Owner's Club / Appreciation / Discussion Thread
Jul 20, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #62 of 123
aha.

my headphone is senn HD800, so far it seems sound is not loud enough or doesn't have the 'umph'; i have it always at 12-2 position to have listening music.

Well, only few hours listening ^_^ I think I need to get used to a setting, then try others & see!
but thanks for the feedback, so far I'm loving it <3

Oct 14, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #63 of 123
Hi,
I'm very sorry if I have missed it. But do I can use 2 inputs of V200 the way: Rca inputs from my tutntable pre, and Balanced from my CD Player? Could anyone please check it with your amp? If one source is switched of, will V200 recognize this which plays music?

Oct 16, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #64 of 123
Hi,
I'm very sorry if I have missed it. But do I can use 2 inputs of V200 the way: Rca inputs from my tutntable pre, and Balanced from my CD Player? Could anyone please check it with your amp? If one source is switched of, will V200 recognize this which plays music?

The RCA inputs have priority over XLR.. but there is no switch to let you choose inputs.. that feature is in future model. :wink:

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #66 of 123
Another happy owner here; I drive the V200 balanced over XLR from the V800 DAC.  Not really surprising as they're both from Violectric but the combo works exceedingly well.  I concur with a previous poster who mentioned the soundstage opening up a bit when using balanced feed.

The V200 has loads of power and the pre-gain setting is a terrific design feature as it quickly allows one to make modifications based on the headphones that are connected.  The sound is not absolutely neutral in the way an SS amp could be supposed to be but to my ears that's not necessarily a bad thing in this case.  It's not exactly warm in any pronounced way but it does add a touch of warmth and euphony which I haven't experienced with other SS amps I audited such as the (by itself excellent) Burson conductor.  It does very well with all my headphones including my HE-6 (more about this below) but the greatest synergy is displayed with the HD-800 imho.  That pairing is truly glorious and although the HD-800 will never be my favourite set of cans for relaxed listening (they're just too analytical and a touch too pronounced in the treble for that and I own too many less than perfect old recordings) the DAC/AMP combo takes off a touch of the analytical coldness otherwise displayed by the HD-800 (one of the main reasons for purchasing the V200 at the time was the contrast it offered as compared to the conductor when paired with the HD-800).  The conductor (in itself a fine product) made the HD-800 sound positively cold/harsh.

With my HE-6 the amp performs well and I haven't managed to have it clip yet (pre-gain on max).  In the interest of full disclosure:  I listen to classical music and not at ear-splitting levels.  Also, I've had long off-site discussions with someone whose opinion I trust and who owns both the V200 and a speaker amp.  This person claims that while the V200 drives the HE-6 well -in his opinion as good as any SS amp on the market at a human price level- those specific cans benefit from the extra headroom provided by having even more power on tap.  I simply don't know as I don't own a speaker amp to try this myself and as the combo sits on my desk I have zero inclination to add another piece of kit.  What's certain is that the V100 (little brother of the V200) doesn't have quite the required oomph to drive the HE-6 at loud levels.  The V100 delivers 2200 mW in 50 Ohms, the V200 2750 mW in 50 Ohms so I guess the argument about headroom could make sense.  That being said I have absolutely no complaints and I've read some reviews by preproman (recommended reading for all) on this site who also mentions that the V200 is in his top 3 (ss) amps for driving the HE-6.

Don't worry for a second if you want to drive the HE-500 though, that one is handled with ease and it pairs very well with the V200.  As a matter of fact I prefer the 500 to the 6 for most of my listening as it handles the mids and vocal better imho and the highs are not as -excessively- pronounced as with the 6.  This has to do with my sound signature preference, however, not with the V200 being underpowered for the  HE-6.  And oh yeah, the HE-500 are near half the price of the HE-6.

Violectric isn't very well known outside Europe but imho their products represent truly excellent price/quality, if you're hesitant do give them a try, pretty sure you'll be a believer soon.

Dec 3, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #67 of 123
  Another happy owner here; I drive the V200 balanced over XLR from the V800 DAC.  Not really surprising as they're both from Violectric but the combo works exceedingly well.  I concur with a previous poster who mentioned the soundstage opening up a bit when using balanced feed.

The V200 has loads of power and the pre-gain setting is a terrific design feature as it quickly allows one to make modifications based on the headphones that are connected.  The sound is not absolutely neutral in the way an SS amp could be supposed to be but to my ears that's not necessarily a bad thing in this case.  It's not exactly warm in any pronounced way but it does add a touch of warmth and euphony which I haven't experienced with other SS amps I audited such as the (by itself excellent) Burson conductor.  It does very well with all my headphones including my HE-6 (more about this below) but the greatest synergy is displayed with the HD-800 imho.  That pairing is truly glorious and although the HD-800 will never be my favourite set of cans for relaxed listening (they're just too analytical and a touch too pronounced in the treble for that and I own too many less than perfect old recordings) the DAC/AMP combo takes off a touch of the analytical coldness otherwise displayed by the HD-800 (one of the main reasons for purchasing the V200 at the time was the contrast it offered as compared to the conductor when paired with the HD-800).  The conductor (in itself a fine product) made the HD-800 sound positively cold/harsh.

With my HE-6 the amp performs well and I haven't managed to have it clip yet (pre-gain on max).  In the interest of full disclosure:  I listen to classical music and not at ear-splitting levels.  Also, I've had long off-site discussions with someone whose opinion I trust and who owns both the V200 and a speaker amp.  This person claims that while the V200 drives the HE-6 well -in his opinion as good as any SS amp on the market at a human price level- those specific cans benefit from the extra headroom provided by having even more power on tap.  I simply don't know as I don't own a speaker amp to try this myself and as the combo sits on my desk I have zero inclination to add another piece of kit.  What's certain is that the V100 (little brother of the V200) doesn't have quite the required oomph to drive the HE-6 at loud levels.  The V100 delivers 2200 mW in 50 Ohms, the V200 2750 mW in 50 Ohms so I guess the argument about headroom could make sense.  That being said I have absolutely no complaints and I've read some reviews by preproman (recommended reading for all) on this site who also mentions that the V200 is in his top 3 (ss) amps for driving the HE-6.

Don't worry for a second if you want to drive the HE-500 though, that one is handled with ease and it pairs very well with the V200.  As a matter of fact I prefer the 500 to the 6 for most of my listening as it handles the mids and vocal better imho and the highs are not as -excessively- pronounced as with the 6.  This has to do with my sound signature preference, however, not with the V200 being underpowered for the  HE-6.  And oh yeah, the HE-500 are near half the price of the HE-6.

Violectric isn't very well known outside Europe but imho their products represent truly excellent price/quality, if you're hesitant do give them a try, pretty sure you'll be a believer soon.

Congratulated. I pair my V200 and my DAC is dacmagic plus with my Beyer T1 and Denon D7k, it sounds perfect.

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #68 of 123
Violectric V200 + LCD-X = musical bliss. 
L3000.gif

Dec 22, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #69 of 123
  Violectric V200 + LCD-X = musical bliss. 
L3000.gif

That's good to know, which DAC are you using and what's the sound like?  I need another pair of headphones like I need a visit from the taxman but was planning to try and audition a member of the Audez'e family (LCD-3) although I'm pretty sure  it won't really work with classical (too dark) certainly paired with the V200.    But I'd like to compare the sound with what I get from my Hifiman phones, especially the HE-500 which  come at a third of their price (and are also said to be too dark with classical although my ears don't agree with that statement).  For the price it would have to be a substantial improvement in order for me to even consider buying into them.

Curious to see when Violectric will release the rumoured upgrade to their gear, should be any time now (and I do hope it'll possible to upgrade the existing stuff by swapping out a component).

Dec 22, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #70 of 123
  That's good to know, which DAC are you using and what's the sound like?  I need another pair of headphones like I need a visit from the taxman but was planning to try and audition a member of the Audez'e family (LCD-3) although I'm pretty sure  it won't really work with classical (too dark) certainly paired with the V200.    But I'd like to compare the sound with what I get from my Hifiman phones, especially the HE-500 which  come at a third of their price (and are also said to be too dark with classical although my ears don't agree with that statement).  For the price it would have to be a substantial improvement in order for me to even consider buying into them.

Curious to see when Violectric will release the rumoured upgrade to their gear, should be any time now (and I do hope it'll possible to upgrade the existing stuff by swapping out a component).

I'm using an Oppo BDP 105 blu ray player, with music files on an external hard drive. "What does it sound like?"......uuuhhhmmmm....hard to put into words. Everything sounds at least wonderful, with so much music revealed in an effortless manner - an attribute I really like. The detail is there, can even hear the singer taking a breath on older, not so well recorded music. I am not a detail freak, but it's there. The emotion in voices, sounds  previously unheard before emerging from a totally black, silent background. I love that the Vio amp is so  dead quiet, I have to look to make sure it's on! I need to confess, though, that my preference is for a darker, more effortless sound. I run from the slightest hint of brightness. That is not a problem in the least in this set up, and yet it still manages to convey so much detail in the treble region. Bass is taught and deep. The midrange has a seductive quality.... (I don't listen to classical, though...just to say). 

Dec 22, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #71 of 123
i just got my lcd3, and compared to the hd800 (i too have the v200 and v800 connected by xlr) everything sound ultra realistic, the presence, body and transparency is on an whole new level, and it really doesn't drain any air from the recordings, and that magic tone, oh my... really brings classical instruments and voices to size and life, make you realize how tinny sounding the hd800 are, i had the lcd2 too but they miss the finesse, resolution, extension and the ability of the lcd3 to transmit emotional goosebumps

Dec 24, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #72 of 123
I'm using an Oppo BDP 105 blu ray player, with music files on an external hard drive. "What does it sound like?"......uuuhhhmmmm....hard to put into words. Everything sounds at least wonderful, with so much music revealed in an effortless manner - an attribute I really like. The detail is there, can even hear the singer taking a breath on older, not so well recorded music. I am not a detail freak, but it's there. The emotion in voices, sounds  previously unheard before emerging from a totally black, silent background. I love that the Vio amp is so  dead quiet, I have to look to make sure it's on! I need to confess, though, that my preference is for a darker, more effortless sound. I run from the slightest hint of brightness. That is not a problem in the least in this set up, and yet it still manages to convey so much detail in the treble region. Bass is taught and deep. The midrange has a seductive quality.... (I don't listen to classical, though...just to say). 

Pretty much the same setup as mine. I'm running a V200 fed with the 105's singe-ended output (balanced goes to the main system). Love the sound, especially with bass-modded K702: smooth and detailed with admirable bass quality. What impresses me most is that it all happens without the amp sounding slow.

Nov 10, 2014 at 3:23 PM Post #73 of 123
Guys,

just received my V200, haven't really had time to appreciate it yet but it sure is a sexy-looking piece of hardware. :) Couple of questions:

- I have seen numerous owners mentioning the background is pitch black, completely silent, even at high volumes; should I be worried as mine has very clear static noise starting from about 1-2pm? The amp is connected to Titanium HD sound card, the pregain is at 0 and the headphones used are the Fostex TH-600.

- Speaking of which... Is it normal that I need to turn the volume pot to almost 12 to reach normal listening levels with the said cans, pre gain 0, with Windows volume set to 100? Somehow this strikes as odd to me, as these are low impedance headphones and not particularly demanding in any respect.

Thanks in advance for your insights, I hope I'm worrying over nothing!

Nov 10, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #74 of 123

Something's off.  My guess would be your sound card but that's just a guess as I don't know it:

-  My V200 has a black background at zero pre-gain, fed over XLR from my V800 DAC and into my HE-500 headphones
-  HE-500 have a 38 Ohm impedance and sensitivity will be around 90
-  Volume at 12 is already very loud then and I listen to classical which is typically recorded at lower volumes.

If you can, try hooking up another DAC or a CD-player via RCA and see what happens.  Of course, I'm assuming that you're trying to listen to a good quality recording here else that might also be a problem.  What does your complete chain look like?

Nov 11, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #75 of 123
Thanks for your input Xenophon, well appreciated!

The tests were made with FLAC files using Titanium HD as the DAC; I will commit further tests with a standalone cd-player. As an additional note, turning the volume pot on the Violectric makes small "pops" or "crackles" regardless of the volume level.
triportsad.gif

The RCA cable from the sound card to V200 is 2m long; could this be of concern? The cable should be of solid quality but maybe at 2m something with more robust shielding would be needed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back