The Official Violectric V200 Owner's Club / Appreciation / Discussion Thread
Mar 9, 2012 at 1:49 AM Post #31 of 123
I think the 2Control is nice and the included crossfeed circuit is better than what Headroom has implemented in their amps. It's minimum setting is very subtle but the max setting is more focused in the center. I say keeping it in the middle works best. It does sound like it's more wrapped around you and doesn't sound like a speaker on either side of your head.

The headphone section of the amp is ok, but not on the same level of either the Phonitor or Auditor. It's warmer, smoother, and less refined. Still quite neutral though. Also the headphone output impedance is 22Ohm's, so it's quite high.

Quote:
Nice pics.  Just noticed your post before that one.

I was thinking about crossfeed the other day and the 2Control is on my short list if I ever went that route.  So what do you think of this feature?  Does the experience become less like 2 driver listening and more all-around spatial listening with the 2Control?

Mar 9, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #32 of 123

Quote:
I think the 2Control is nice and the included crossfeed circuit is better than what Headroom has implemented in their amps. It's minimum setting is very subtle but the max setting is more focused in the center. I say keeping it in the middle works best. It does sound like it's more wrapped around you and doesn't sound like a speaker on either side of your head.

The headphone section of the amp is ok, but not on the same level of either the Phonitor or Auditor. It's warmer, smoother, and less refined. Still quite neutral though. Also the headphone output impedance is 22Ohm's, so it's quite high.

I'm confused your speaker setup sounds like a speaker on either side of your head?  

Mar 9, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #33 of 123
Thanks for the info.  In general you feed your DAC signal into the 2Control then into your dedicated headphone or speaker amp?  
I wasn't considering using the headphone section of the 2Control but good to know it is ok for say movie listening.  Indeed, 22 ohms is nothing to sneeze at.

Quote:

I think he was saying that with the 2Control in place your headphones won't sound like speakers on either side of your head.

Quote:
I'm confused your speaker setup sounds like a speaker on either side of your head?  

Mar 9, 2012 at 6:37 PM Post #34 of 123
Yeah sorry guys, it was a typo. I meant to say it sounds more like you have speakers around you, and not on either side of your head.

Mar 9, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #35 of 123
May 20, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #36 of 123
Everyone still enjoying their V200? I love mine to death!

Jun 2, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #37 of 123
Just got mine. Still burning in, and getting better with each listen. With a V800 on one side and a (yet to arrive in the mail) HD800 on the other, I reckon I'm all set for some musical enjoyment over the coming weeks. :)

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #38 of 123
You've got an excellent combo there! The HD800 pairs very good with the V200. 

Quote:
Just got mine. Still burning in, and getting better with each listen. With a V800 on one side and a (yet to arrive in the mail) HD800 on the other, I reckon I'm all set for some musical enjoyment over the coming weeks. :)

Jun 2, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #39 of 123
Yeah - I spent a fair bit of time auditioning various headphones (HD800, LCD3, PS1000) with the V200 and some Woo Audio amps before purchasing. I just kept coming back to the V800/V200/HD800 combo. Tonally they seemed the most correct to me, and the HD800s are just so spacious. Should be a pretty versatile outfit, I think.

Jun 3, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #40 of 123
Quote:
Yeah - I spent a fair bit of time auditioning various headphones (HD800, LCD3, PS1000) with the V200 and some Woo Audio amps before purchasing. I just kept coming back to the V800/V200/HD800 combo. Tonally they seemed the most correct to me, and the HD800s are just so spacious. Should be a pretty versatile outfit, I think.

I have HD800 coming too! What source will you be using? Computer or transport? If Computer, I would highly recommended adding a m2tech HiFace Two. It really opens up the sound!!

I would love to hear your thoughts regarding LCD-3. I have the LCD-2 at the moment and am thinking about buying the LCD-3 as well.........My favorite at the moment is the HE500 that I have with a silver/gold cable.

Jun 3, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #41 of 123
Hey mate,

I'm using my computer (Macbook Pro + Audirvana + FLAC music collection) as a source via USB, and a spare DVD player as a temporary source for CD material, fed into the V800 via coaxial. I did do some auditioning with one of the Audiophilleo converters feeding the V800, but am planning to let my current system settle before looking to tweak things further. My HD800s haven't arrived yet, but even with my Grado RS2i headphones the sound is markedly more open and dynamic.

LCD3... hmm. Well, of the three cans I auditioned over several sessions, they are my least favourite, although with some types of music (intense electronic music, for example) they are clearly the most fun to listen to. Overall, though, I have issues with their tonality, in particular their rendering of violins. I played for many years and the LCD3s seem to mangle the instrument's tonality somewhat, making it thicker than it should be, where the HD800 sound more like what I hear in real life. Also, there's a lack of spaciousness compared to the PS1000 and especially the HD800. I find the HD800 quite addictive in this regard. If I listened to less classical and more driving rock/electronic less dependent on sound stage, I would probably like the LCD3 more.

I know the LCD3 have a lot of fans on here and I wanted to like them, but each time I went back to the HD800 it was like coming home. :)

Would be interested in hearing what you think of the HD800 when up against your LCD2 and HE500.

Julian.

Jun 3, 2012 at 1:43 AM Post #42 of 123
Julian,

Thanks for the feed back, much appreciated!

I think I will enjoy the HD800 very much from recommendations and what I have read, although I have never heard them. I am pretty new to all this headphone stuff. Buying my first headphone about 6 weeks ago. The DT1350, then HD650, HE500, SRH 1840 and LCD-2. Taking a little breather at the moment
blink.gif

With the V200/800 and HiFace two, I have managed in getting a huge soundstage, lively, open and dynamic sounding with a great bass from the HE500 and am really looking to see how much bigger and resolving the HD800 will be.

The LCD-2 is a funny Headphone that I actually enjoy listening. It doesn't really do anything particularly well but it does have great PRaT that engages me into the music. Coming from home rigs, it is just like having a Linn Sondek LP12 based system which is, to be honest, no bad thing to imitate.......

Quote:
Hey mate,

I'm using my computer (Macbook Pro + Audirvana + FLAC music collection) as a source via USB, and a spare DVD player as a temporary source for CD material, fed into the V800 via coaxial. I did do some auditioning with one of the Audiophilleo converters feeding the V800, but am planning to let my current system settle before looking to tweak things further. My HD800s haven't arrived yet, but even with my Grado RS2i headphones the sound is markedly more open and dynamic.

LCD3... hmm. Well, of the three cans I auditioned over several sessions, they are my least favourite, although with some types of music (intense electronic music, for example) they are clearly the most fun to listen to. Overall, though, I have issues with their tonality, in particular their rendering of violins. I played for many years and the LCD3s seem to mangle the instrument's tonality somewhat, making it thicker than it should be, where the HD800 sound more like what I hear in real life. Also, there's a lack of spaciousness compared to the PS1000 and especially the HD800. I find the HD800 quite addictive in this regard. If I listened to less classical and more driving rock/electronic less dependent on sound stage, I would probably like the LCD3 more.

I know the LCD3 have a lot of fans on here and I wanted to like them, but each time I went back to the HD800 it was like coming home. :)

Would be interested in hearing what you think of the HD800 when up against your LCD2 and HE500.

Julian.

Jun 5, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #43 of 123
Hey there, was away for two months so looking forward to getting reacquainted with my V200 and HE-500.

Ahh, HD800, such temptation.  When deciding on my next headphone I went with the HE-500.  HD-800 was going to break the bank so I went for the HE-500.

Before I ever think of selling the V200 in the name of upgrading I probably should give the HD-800 a shot.

Threw in the Decware ZBOX between the DAC-2 and V200.  Really fits well into the system.  More to come on that later.  Still need to learn about the various 12AU7 tubes.

Quote:
You've got an excellent combo there! The HD800 pairs very good with the V200. 

Jun 28, 2012 at 7:17 PM Post #44 of 123
Anyone got any impressions of the V200 with LCD2 or HE-500s?

And what DACs are we using to feed the v200?  Personally here I am using the UD384+UPower and I am looking for a fuller featured DAC (I plan on keeping the UD384 as a transport).

I'm a total vocals/mids guy and always listen to the lyrics of songs before paying attention to anything else.

PS - I'm totally in LOVE with the V200+HD650 pairing, I didn't know what the Sennheiser 'veil' was until I listened with my V200, now my Valhalla has been relegated to bedside/transportable duty.

Jun 29, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #45 of 123
Hi,

I've not heard the LCD-2 on the V200, but the HD600 is a good match.

I use my Violectric V800 DAC and it's pretty good with it. It's a very neutral DAC and the pairing of it and the V200 is nice.

I tried a friends HD650 on my V200 and I thought it sounded bad. The sound was a mushy mess. Too much bass, congested mids, and the treble was reduced further.

Quote:
Anyone got any impressions of the V200 with LCD2 or HE-500s?

And what DACs are we using to feed the v200?  Personally here I am using the UD384+UPower and I am looking for a fuller featured DAC (I plan on keeping the UD384 as a transport).

I'm a total vocals/mids guy and always listen to the lyrics of songs before paying attention to anything else.

PS - I'm totally in LOVE with the V200+HD650 pairing, I didn't know what the Sennheiser 'veil' was until I listened with my V200, now my Valhalla has been relegated to bedside/transportable duty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back