The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
May 30, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #2,521 of 5,760
If that's going to be your only use for the 1A, then the reasonable thing to do would be to return it.

Totally agree. I would not buy a 1A if it’s only use is to feed the TA

May 30, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #2,522 of 5,760
so, I'm a little confused. Is the TA going to sound exactly the same if it's playing a track off the Sony WM1A, as say, compared to that same track from an Android DAP? The DAP, or whatever is holding the track, acts simply as a storage drive, correct? Or, is there some kind of synergy between the source device and the TA that impacts the resulting sound?

Your now getting to my main motivation for purchases. My main goal was to get away from computer audio. Now many would say using the Walkmans as a digital source IS computer audio as the Walkmans are in essence mini computers.

But my paranoia started around 2010. I had moved and couldn’t take my room size vinyl collection with me. I started to use various computer-audio systems. Though I had troubles with what sounded like song pace. And stuff like adding WASAPI to Foobar2000 actually helped, and made me realize that digital audio did have quality control issues. At the time I had previously thought 0s were 0s and 1s would always be 1s. I also thought that digital audio was more convoluted than I previously believed as each music player software sounded different to me.

I end up moving to transport and CD as a way to avoid computers, and would basically stay that way for years.

So then I saw the 1Z/1A and realized that they could play music without a computer. Later I also realized that using the Walkmans as sources to the TA would be different than a computer; and it is. Adding the Cradle and AQCarbon was simply refining the process a step farther.

In this hobby there is a lot to be learned by confirming with your ears. In many ways it can be paralleled to cooking. Ingredients make a difference then taste is the judge.

But just like cooking experiments can help, remember the transport? Well it sounds horrible hooking up the RCA digital cable to the back of the TA. So (in my uses) it’s better to rip CDs to the Walkmans. I don’t question the reasons why. Much of this too is like guitars. It doesn’t really matter what the price is, each guitar is different, even from one to another of the same brand/model. The way you know if a guitar is good is by listening. There is no scientific test, no other way to tell how good they are.

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #2,523 of 5,760
Your now getting to my main motivation for purchases. My main goal was to get away from computer audio. Now many would say using the Walkmans as a digital source IS computer audio as the Walkmans are in essence mini computers.

But my paranoia started around 2010. I had moved and couldn’t take my room size vinyl collection with me. I started to use various computer-audio systems. Though I had troubles with what sounded like song pace. And stuff like adding WASAPI to Foobar2000 actually helped, and made me realize that digital audio did have quality control issues. At the time I had previously thought 0s were 0s and 1s would always be 1s. I also thought that digital audio was more convoluted than I previously believed as each music player software sounded different to me.

I end up moving to transport and CD as a way to avoid computers, and would basically stay that way for years.

So then I saw the 1Z/1A and realized that they could play music without a computer. Later I also realized that using the Walkmans as sources to the TA would be different than a computer; and it is. Adding the Cradle and AQCarbon was simply refining the process a step farther.

In this hobby there is a lot to be learned by confirming with your ears. In many ways it can be paralleled to cooking. Ingredients make a difference then taste is the judge.

But just like cooking experiments can help, remember the transport? Well it sounds horrible hooking up the RCA digital cable to the back of the TA. So (in my uses) it’s better to rip CDs to the Walkmans. I don’t question the reasons why. Much of this too is like guitars. It doesn’t really matter what the price is, each guitar is different, even from one to another of the same brand/model. The way you know if a guitar is good is by listening. There is no scientific test, no other way to tell how good they are.
huh, well, there's a different perspective for you, and I do appreciate hearing some diverse opinions. This opens up the possibility that the source does in fact matter, can actually impact the resulting sound.

May 31, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #2,524 of 5,760
huh, well, there's a different perspective for you, and I do appreciate hearing some diverse opinions. This opens up the possibility that the source does in fact matter, can actually impact the resulting sound.

It’s maybe easier to hear when folks are given extreme differences? Though the best and most complete theory is that everything matters.

https://www.schiit.com/products/modi-1

https://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/dave/

$10,000
VS
$99
:) There is a reason one is more than 150X more.

DAC setup:
Chord Hugo2 ($2400)
Chord DAVE ($10000)
Chord Blu2 mScaler ($10000)

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #2,525 of 5,760
First of all, I love pickles OK? Don't you dare suggest otherwise! :)
Then, it really is no big deal... a few tears here and there make for a healthy stress release. :) But your illustration is incorrect. This is more like seeing someone at the supermarket shopping for ingredients to make an apple pie and leaving with a bag of nails.

The side cable works fine for charging my ZX300. Doesn't it also work for the 1Z?

Fears are good. They keep you sharp, on your toes, where you gotta be.

They certainly do make a difference... for your wallet.
“Bag of nails! “ “Bag of nails?”

B68BE8DC-2A85-4423-B197-8F5E4DDB5863.jpeg

May 31, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #2,526 of 5,760
Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #2,527 of 5,760
You’ve asked lots of good questions about what to expect from the TA and I am sure you are anxiously awaiting It’s arrival. I do believe you need to take a step or two back, keep an open mind and just see how you feel about it after evaluating your own set up for at least a few weeks. My own set up has evolved slowly over time and each change, addition or tweak can have unintended effects on the entire sequence. Do your own evaluation of your two source devices and see how they sound to you. We can all give you our opinions but what YOU hear is all that matters. Otherwise you are asking how many angels can dance on the head of a pin and I really can’t help you with that (I think it’s six BTW). As Redcarmoose has pointed out, you’ll learn the most from listening with your own ears.

May 31, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #2,528 of 5,760
Interesting how Moose points out that it can make a difference just using the 1A and a couple of additives. Perhaps using the 1Z as a source to the TA is not pointless with or without the cradle?

May 31, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #2,529 of 5,760
You’ve asked lots of good questions about what to expect from the TA and I am sure you are anxiously awaiting It’s arrival. I do believe you need to take a step or two back, keep an open mind and just see how you feel about it after evaluating your own set up for at least a few weeks. My own set up has evolved slowly over time and each change, addition or tweak can have unintended effects on the entire sequence. Do your own evaluation of your two source devices and see how they sound to you. We can all give you our opinions but what YOU hear is all that matters. Otherwise you are asking how many angels can dance on the head of a pin and I really can’t help you with that (I think it’s six BTW). As Redcarmoose has pointed out, you’ll learn the most from listening with your own ears.
Sounds like good advice. Okay, will do so. It should arrive about mid week next week, and I'm eager to "have a listen." Will most likely be using the 1A through the included walkman cable for the first several weeks.

May 31, 2020 at 7:03 PM Post #2,530 of 5,760
Well i´ve sold my TA, moved to RME with an Aries Mini with a 2TB SSD with all my music...and never looked back...
Although my WM1A still holds the king of daps place for me!

May 31, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #2,531 of 5,760
Well i´ve sold my TA, moved to RME with an Aries Mini with a 2TB SSD with all my music...and never looked back...
Although my WM1A still holds the king of daps place for me!
Wow, so the Sony NW-WM1A can be a substitute for the iFi Hip DAC?

May 31, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #2,532 of 5,760
iFi Hip DAC
No idea what his the iFi Hip DAC.
What i´m saying is that the TA didn´t sound as good to me as my RME unit, also the price the TA goes for... and the price of the RME ADI-2 DAC FS....
Not trying to hijack the thread here, but when i read most of your comments about audio quality and using the TA still connected to a PC or MAC...
I´ve been on that route before...

May 31, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #2,533 of 5,760
What i´m saying is that the TA didn´t sound as good to me as my RME unit, also the price the TA goes for... and the price of the RME ADI-2 DAC FS....
Not trying to hijack the thread here, but when i read most of your comments about audio quality and using the TA still connected to a PC or MAC...
If it can be a substitute, I'll give it a try. But from what I sampled with the TA at Yodobashi Camera, it sounded nice.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #2,534 of 5,760

Looks like a nice unit with lots of features for a lot less than the TA. One thing it looks like it is missing is balanced headphone connections wich seem strange considering that it has balanced line out

Jun 1, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #2,535 of 5,760
Hey guys,new member here but been reading head-fi threads for a few years now,i actually owe my current setup to this thread (and the z1r thread) (ta-zh1es + z1r).Since audiophiles are a fickle bunch i know most people don't own both of them anymore but i had the z1r's for 2+ years now (3k serial number) and just got the ta-zh1es a month ago,been using it with a chord mojo up untill now .Learned quite a few things over the past month : burn in is real (never noticed it as much as with the ta-zh1es before) , clean power matters ( using an isotek sirius + power chords improved the TA-ZH1ES drastically,i would say as big of a jump as from the mojo almost ) ,apparently even usb cables make a difference ( had a real tough time believing that one,untill i got a chord c-line 3m usb) im 90% happy with the setup ( though it is a bit bass heavy on some tracks) .I'm waiting on a sony kimber balanced cable from Japan now and considering replacing my power hungry gaming pc as a source with a dedicated streamer.Any experience/suggestion? I'm purely looking for sound quality improvements and considering an Auralic Aries g1 but i don't know if the upgrade will be as huge as people claim it is with speaker systems and considering it costs as much as the dac i'm not sure if a dac upgrade further down the line would make more sense.I'm familiar with all the Rendus and power supplies and Sotm's but they aren't that appealing to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back