The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
Apr 30, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #2,386 of 5,760
The DMP Z1 is much better than TA in a sense that if you take cables differences which could cost multiple thousands.

I always value your knowledge & opinions @Whitigir like many forum members, but is the cable(s) and connector's, you use for your DMP-Z1, not very expensive....as seeing on one of your other posts, earlier today....but don't want to scroll through trying to find it....i'd say must be thousand + cost for that....do you see the point i'm making, i.e. just buying the DMP-Z1 still involves expensive costs, if you choose to...and after spending this kind of money, you're obviously not going to use a stock / cheap quality cable / gear.

Apr 30, 2020 at 2:49 PM Post #2,387 of 5,760
Congrats dude! I'm not quite as certain as Rob, so I'm looking forward to your impressions! :)

Are you not yet convinced @candlejack ?? You haven't had it too long yet & just acquired your MDR-Z1R's, too. ( I must admit that i've had recent moments where i've thought, "Does this sound so good today" ?? ( Headphone usage. ) That could just be not being quite in the right zone to listen....or just a yearning for a DMP-Z1 ! :dt880smile:

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #2,391 of 5,760
[...] you're obviously not going to use a stock / cheap quality cable / gear.
Cheap does not mean bad, just like expensive doesn't mean good. Also, in audio, cheap doesn't mean cheap. :)
Are you not yet convinced @candlejack ?? You haven't had it too long yet & just acquired your MDR-Z1R's, too. ( I must admit that i've had recent moments where i've thought, "Does this sound so good today" ?? ( Headphone usage. ) That could just be not being quite in theright zone to listen....or just a yearning for a DMP-Z1 ! :dt880smile:
I didn't quite get what you meant there at the end. So far I've just enjoyed listening to music and haven't found the time to do "testing", so that's why I reserve judgement on whether the TA is better and by how much. But one thing's for sure: I have been enjoying myself. :)

Apr 30, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #2,392 of 5,760
Not if you're Ronnie Corbett....God rest his soul !
Lol, I had to look him up. 1.52 m is not a lot, but for that reason I think an extra 15 cm would actually be more impactful than 17 cm on a 1.70 m tall person.

Apr 30, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #2,393 of 5,760
Cheap does not mean bad, just like expensive doesn't mean good. Also, in audio, cheap doesn't mean cheap. :)

"Cheap" wasn't quite the right word to use....i love my Sony 1AM2's and those aren't overly expensive.

I didn't quite get what you meant there at the end. So far I've just enjoyed listening to music and haven't found the time to do "testing", so that's why I reserve judgement on whether the TA is better and by how much. But one thing's for sure: I have been enjoying myself. :)

I think i took your words a little out of context, trying to cause debate & reaction ! ( Most people don't understand me !....i don't understand myself at times ! Pleased you're enjoying your new purchases... :)

Apr 30, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #2,395 of 5,760
It’s the last smidge of quality which is actually there but maybe quantifiable to 10% more? Though this may depend on someone’s hearing as well as how much volume they use. The 1Z can only go so far, especially with full-size headphones. It’s the TA DSD upsampling and extra damping factor over the 1Z. To me there was more of a difference with the 1Z having a treble boost, though after updating the TA firmware to 1.03 it became a tad brighter which I felt was great. The other aspects that add to the quality upgrade is a blackness of background and slight wider soundstage and added imaging.

Obviously there will be soundstage differences, but the greatest change for me happens in the lower midrange and bass department. The TA gets everything to a better pace and clarity which adds PRaT. IMO

It’s all how important that last 10% is worth, as to some it’s priceless then there of course is getting the DMP-Z1...........which I can guess is again another level.

You can experiment but some of us felt using the 1Z as a source was better than a laptop. If you do notice (it’s better sounding than a laptop)......using your 1Z connected to the TA with the side connection; then there is always the Cradle and AQCarbon upgrade.

The funny part about the extra 10% is that if you really do focus on it, it seems to get bigger?

To me is like this, comparing the Z7 with the Z1R. 10% more refined bass +10% more clarity +10% more detail +10% more soundstage +10% more comfort

Apr 30, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #2,396 of 5,760
I actually though that the MDR-Z7 and MRD-Z1R were closer together in abilities directly after getting the Z7 home. Though now I think they are different?

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #2,397 of 5,760
I actually though that the MDR-Z7 and MRD-Z1R were closer together in abilities directly after getting the Z7 home. Though now I think they are different?

As you basically said in your review, the Z1R is refined, and the Z7 is raw (I love both models for what they give). My opinion is that all the 10% improvements must be added. If the Z1R only had 10% more refine bass and all other aspects were the same, i will say that the Z1R was 10% better than the Z7, but to me it also has 10% bigger soundstage, 10% more clarity 10% more detail and at least 10% more comfort. So to me the Z1R is at least 50% better than the Z7, because it does better in many areas, not just one. You could have the Z7 and be very happy, but don't try the Z1R if you aren't saving up. Still there are some albums that i like more on the Z7 than the Z1R. The only loser here is the wallet :beyersmile:

The same can be said about the 1A compared to the 1Z or the 1Z compared to the TA, or the TA compared to the Z1.

May 2, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #2,398 of 5,760
I’m not sure how well the MDR-Z7 is always able to perform in any given situation? Meaning.......that you wonder if folks who didn’t like the MDR-Z7 were not driving it right, or simply didn’t like the Sony sound. The MDR-Z7 used with the TA is a fun and capable headphone. I was actually surprised how much ability it has? I acquired them (on close-out) after owning the MDR-Z1R at a 1/5 of the cost. The Z7 does end up complementary maybe while using both with the TA; especially if your already a fan of the Sony sound. :)

May 2, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #2,399 of 5,760
you wonder if folks who didn’t like the MDR-Z7 were not driving it right, or simply didn’t like the Sony sound.

Sometimes is either and sometimes both, i don't know why some take it personal though, guess they have a lot of time to waste. I don't know about the TA, wish i can afford it one day, but with the ifi BL the Z7 tightens the loose bass and stand on his own, even on SE. The Z1R on the other hand really shine on the balanced output.

May 2, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #2,400 of 5,760
Sometimes is either and sometimes both, i don't know why some take it personal though, guess they have a lot of time to waste. I don't know about the TA, wish i can afford it one day, but with the ifi BL the Z7 tightens the loose bass and stand on his own, even on SE. The Z1R on the other hand really shine on the balanced output.

97770301-230C-4DF1-9359-527179A93903.jpeg

All this talk of the MDR-Z7 inspired me to pull it out into the above configuration for a listen. Really surprised how complete.... yet truly underrated the Z7 is. Fact is that with the right gear in front it climbs and climbs. In comparison to running the Schitt Asgard single ended even using the outputs of the TA as a DAC, the Asgard leaves much to be desired.

Feeding the Z7 right results in changes to such a grand competitive place.......I can almost see the Sony big wigs and engineers nodding their heads in approval back in 2014. They must have been thinking that this IS the new Sony flagship!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back