The Official Sony TA-ZH1ES Hi-Res Headphone Amplifier (Live From IFA 2016)
May 1, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #1,923 of 5,760
You can try. My experience was that when I plugged it in 1st time windows 10 just recognized it and set it up, but then I had delay especially on a high gain. After some time I installed a driver and update zh1es firmware and delay was gone.

May 3, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #1,925 of 5,760
Ended up trying a few rhythm games to really see how the latency is. Via USB on PC and via optical on PS4 there really isn't much of any additional latency with DSD Remaster and DSEE HX both enabled. It's possible that there is a small number of milliseconds difference, but I'm not really skilled enough to notice.

That said is it worth enabling DSEE HX if 95% of my music files are already at least redbook quality? I've done a little reading about DSEE HX, but it mostly refers to lossy files. I haven't done any critical listening yet to see if I notice anything. Probably will give it a go over the weekend.

May 3, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #1,926 of 5,760
Those tunings change things, whether you turn it on or not is just really whether you like the cvange or not really, it's easy to A/B it with the quick on off setting on the remote anyway. Give it a go :)

May 5, 2019 at 11:16 PM Post #1,928 of 5,760
Its primarily designed as an all in one solution, but you can use a separate Dac and just use the amp stage if you prefer. Asking about exotic combinations is usually not fruitful because few have the experience mixing equipment you ask for. So... very few probably know.

Some people have way more powerful amps but my experience with tube amps generally is that the max Watt output quoted isnt accurate. The watts in actuality vary depending on resistance and impedance, so there is a sweet spot. I’m not sure you should go by that, all I know is that the LCD series so far is the only headphone leaving me wanting more out of the amp stage.

There are probably more powerful dedicated amps that might be better choices for a dedicated dac + amp build, but its hard to know until you compare, which makes the hobby exciting.

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 1:35 AM Post #1,930 of 5,760
I can tell you this... the TA-ZH1ES sounds great and has great headroom (~15-20 db) with both the Focal Utopia and Meze Empyrean headphones. And i'm pretty deaf so I tend to listen louder than I should

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #1,931 of 5,760
I've been using the TA-ZH1ES for about 3 weeks now. I've run it with my balanced K812's, the MDR-Z1R, and Focal Elears. I'm probably going to stick with this as my daily driver in my office rig with Roon for the foreseeable future. Being able to connect a few different headphones and switch depending on what type of music I'm listening to with the press of a button (on the remote) is a very useful feature.

It smokes the Oppo HA-1 I used for several years, and it's really not far behind the Directstream Jr + Ragnarok combo I was using in my office last year (which retails for almost 3x the price of the TAZ). I just need gear that lets me listen all day at work with little to no fatigue, and this is one of the best sounding products I've used for that purpose. Any level of detail lost in comparison to some higher end solutions is pretty negligible to me and my use cases. My DSD albums sound fantastic as well as any PCM I've thrown at it. I don't really have any mp3's to toss on, but I have done some Spotify listening with the TAZ and it sounded better than Spotify should.

Still wondering if anyone has recs on a good 2-prong power cable that might add a little extra clarity to the TAZ. Anyone have recs?

Last edited:
May 11, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #1,932 of 5,760
I upgraded my power cable to a third party one on eBay I liked. I also used an audioquest cable with good results before that but it was too short.

Anything is better than the stock cable. Search for Audiophile Power cable and try one you like the look of. Also you can use one with a 3 pin plug with ground wire it just wont use the third plug hole.

Last edited:
May 11, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #1,933 of 5,760
I use the Audioquest NRG-X3 which is a 3 prong cable. The NRG-X2 is a 2 prong version of this cable.

May 13, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #1,934 of 5,760
Am having a serious look at this amp for my Senn IE 800 s. Called Sony CS today for two questions. !. Is this discontinued?. NO. 2. where is the TA-ZH1ES manufactured? The CS could not give this info. "Maybe USA" ?. Ahh no. Would one of the dealers in this forum please answer question No. 2? thanks

May 13, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #1,935 of 5,760
Am having a serious look at this amp for my Senn IE 800 s. Called Sony CS today for two questions. !. Is this discontinued?. NO. 2. where is the TA-ZH1ES manufactured? The CS could not give this info. "Maybe USA" ?. Ahh no. Would one of the dealers in this forum please answer question No. 2? thanks

It’s made in Malaysia..... Sennheiser is good too.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back