The Official Sony NW-WM1Z/ NW-WM1A Flagship DAP (Live From IFA 2016)
Nov 16, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #632 of 1,101
I will be honest to you, to simply compare X7 to 1Z is just out of senses. Why ? Because they are not even in the same league or cost....now, comparing to AK380 or Copper will make more sense.

Innocent remarks:
-why should a valid comparison only use similarly priced items ? Who's making no sense here ?
-price is not linearly correlated with quality, to state the obvious (back to point 1 and here we have a full circle)
-while a more expensive DAP may show superiority in objective and costly specs (capacity, built quality...), it doesn't necessarily apply to subjective criteria (sound quality especially, which is very biaised by personal sound signature preferences).

With such reasoning, the next "flagship" DAPs (god I hate that word, it doesn't mean anything, it is just used to justify blind inflation) will be priced at 5000$ with no objective specs to justify it.

Let's wait for reviews and comparisons to get a better idea, although I'm sure people will find very "objective" ways to justify the 2000$ premium for 1Z vs 1A (beside the additional 128Gb and weight in copper/gold).

Nov 16, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #633 of 1,101

I will be honest to you, to simply compare X7 to 1Z is just out of senses. Why ? Because they are not even in the same league or cost....now, comparing to AK380 or Copper will make more sense.

Innocent remarks:
-why should a valid comparison only use similarly priced items ? Who's making no sense here ?
-price is not linearly correlated with quality, to state the obvious (back to point 1 and here we have a full circle)
-while a more expensive DAP may show superiority in objective and costly specs (capacity, built quality...), it doesn't necessarily apply to subjective criteria (sound quality especially, which is very biaised by personal sound signature preferences).

With such reasoning, the next "flagship" DAPs (god I hate that word, it doesn't mean anything, it is just used to justify blind inflation) will be priced at 5000$ with no objective specs to justify it.

Let's wait for reviews and comparisons to get a better idea, although I'm sure people will find very "objective" ways to justify the 2000$ premium for 1Z vs 1A (beside the additional 128Gb and weight in copper/gold).

The x7 is a solid offering, especially with the am3 or am5 amp modules. Probably good enough for most of us and nice to be able to go stackless. The 380 is definitely a step up in SQ from the x7 with the ak4490 chip signature, but is hobbled by its amp requiring a stack. IMO the AK380 mated amp is not good enough either easily being bested by my $90 BH2 stacked with the 380. However, IMO the A/Z are both a huge step up from the 380 - hair splitting to some, but huge to me - in both SQ and AMPing allowing you to go stackless. Again IMO, only the LPG is a viable comparison in SQ. In the end, I would go A over X7 if you can afford it, but x7 is good enough if you cannot. Should also point out that the Sony has a warmer signature and fuller texturing vs. the x7 so your preference in signature matters here as well.

Nov 16, 2016 at 5:08 PM Post #635 of 1,101
  I wonder if Sony will ever put support for Tidal or Spotify like AK did... doubt it since they're tied into the music industry.

@Barra, how does the Mojo compare to the Paw Gold and WM1A?

I have to be careful how I say this as there is a very loyal MOJO fan club, but for me while I felt it was outstanding and made me want one - it did not make me tap my toes as much as I had hoped it would. It was very much like the HUGO experience if you were part of my Noble Seattle tour. Although, like the HUGO, it felt like it would grow on me more over time where I may change my opinion. Cannot fault it in any way, but my AK100ii stacked with my BH2 amp kept up with the MOJO musically so there was no need since both are stacked setups. 

On the other hand, both the Sony a/z and the LPG blew me away walking all over my AK100ii/BH2 setup. The A/Z and LPG are a clear step up to what my AK/BH2 setup can do. Best of all, both are stand alone solutions not requiring a stack. Not having them side by side, my gut tells me that the sony signature is even more to my liking than the LPG and obviously has a much better UI/form factor.

I have been enjoying Tidal on my AK since the last update, but was unaware of Spotify. Are you sure Spotify is available as well? My wife and I are in a tug a war of which we ultimately keep, her Spotify or my Tidal. It would help her cause if I could use Spotify on my AK.

Nov 16, 2016 at 6:11 PM Post #636 of 1,101
Hello Everyone! Sony has just given us the shipping schedule for the Signature Series product and where it can be purchased for the US and Canada. Sony is authorizing what is 7 - 8 dealers for North America. The stores we know for sure are listed below. The online stores that say they are authorized are not. Only 2 online sellers will be authorized. Your brick & motar stores that also can ship anywhere in the US & Canada will be officially announced in a few days. Right now you can pre-order from any of the following stores;

The Source AV in Torrance Ca. - Music to my Ear in Pittsburg Pa - Natural Sound in Boston Ma - LMC Home Entertainment is Scottsdale Az. I will announce more of the brick & motar stores tomorrow and the 2 online dealers will be announced by next week. Inventory starts to ship to dealers next week and they should have some inventory to sell by the last week of November 2016.

We at The Source AV have already begun taking pre-orders as of last week.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Nov 16, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #637 of 1,101
  I have to be careful how I say this as there is a very loyal MOJO fan club, but for me while I felt it was outstanding and made me want one - it did not make me tap my toes as much as I had hoped it would. It was very much like the HUGO experience if you were part of my Noble Seattle tour. Although, like the HUGO, it felt like it would grow on me more over time where I may change my opinion. Cannot fault it in any way, but my AK100ii stacked with my BH2 amp kept up with the MOJO musically so there was no need since both are stacked setups. 

On the other hand, both the Sony a/z and the LPG blew me away walking all over my AK100ii/BH2 setup. The A/Z and LPG are a clear step up to what my AK/BH2 setup can do. Best of all, both are stand alone solutions not requiring a stack. Not having them side by side, my gut tells me that the sony signature is even more to my liking than the LPG and obviously has a much better UI/form factor.

I have been enjoying Tidal on my AK since the last update, but was unaware of Spotify. Are you sure Spotify is available as well? My wife and I are in a tug a war of which we ultimately keep, her Spotify or my Tidal. It would help her cause if I could use Spotify on my AK.

It is also a matter of pairing. Overall I prefer WM1Z and LPG to Mojo, but with the SE846 I like the Mojo better than the Sony.

I agree that the WM1Z is superior to the LPG in UI, but no in form factor. The Sony is almost as thick, and twice as tall. And the Z is twice as heavy as the LPG almost.

Nov 16, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #638 of 1,101
Hello Everyone! Sony has just given us the shipping schedule for the Signature Series product and where it can be purchased for the US and Canada. Sony is authorizing what is 7 - 8 dealers for North America. The stores we know for sure are listed below. The online stores that say they are authorized are not. Only 2 online sellers will be authorized. Your brick & motar stores that also can ship anywhere in the US & Canada will be officially announced in a few days. Right now you can pre-order from any of the following stores;

The Source AV in Torrance Ca. - Music to my Ear in Pittsburg Pa - Natural Sound in Boston Ma - LMC Home Entertainment is Scottsdale Az. I will announce more of the brick & motar stores tomorrow and the 2 online dealers will be announced by next week. Inventory starts to ship to dealers next week and they should have some inventory to sell by the last week of November 2016.

Thank you for the update. This is excellent news. I hope to hear of Canadian retailers (online or B&M) that will be able to ship to Nova Scotia, Canada. I know of none, locally, that sell Sony stuff.

Nov 18, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #639 of 1,101

Thanks for the great update Jason! Will you also have the accessories for sale with the player? Screen covers, remote control, etc.

Nov 23, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #644 of 1,101
A Sony Signature Series news update!

I was told this afternoon that Sony is moving the inventory to the distribution centers next week. Authorized dealers will be seeing confirmation of their allocations by next Friday. This means Friday Dec 2nd and/or Monday Dec 5th they will ship to the selected Signature Series dealers. So if you're really in the market it's time to pay attention and get your pre-order in. This is a North American market announcement only. US/Canada release. If you can't find the post with authorized dealers listed send me a PM and I'll give you the list of authorized Sony Signature Series dealers ...have a great gobble day!

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back