The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 16, 2017 at 2:42 PM Post #10,457 of 11,341
From my avatar picture, you can tell I love me my Z1R's since I received them back in February of this year. The clean bass is my favorite part.
The smoke will make the bass dirty:smile:

Jun 16, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #10,460 of 11,341
I'm going to say you are being sarcastic there.

No, you cant tell the whole sound of a headphone based on the measurements. But they are important.

Sorry to sound like one.
btw, yes, @thatonenoob was correct. it's wrong graph. its utopia's. neither look good. but both sonically are excellent.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #10,462 of 11,341
Each reviewer has their preference an tolerances, but what I don't like how here at head-fi were pointing at our competitor as being "in-consistent" I'm really happy to have the measurements from both Jude and Tyll, though I would have enjoyed Jude's more if not for him openly putting Tyll and all the others who measure gear down. Worst of all this post is on the FRONT of OUR community!

Why not just share what you guys measured with us, make a small comment on the differences that you found while doing your measurements and leave it at that. Differences, why did this need to become an issue of "consistency" why do we need to compare? Why do are we working to discredit our competitor?

Jun 16, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #10,463 of 11,341
The 10khz peak is not an uncommon feature in Tyll's measurements. It could be an artifact inherent in the specific pinnae/mic arrangement installed in his measurement head, as Head Acoustics offers a few different versions. Also, as others have mentioned, the top octave is notoriously sensitive to headphone measurement approaches, and shouldn't necessarily be thought of as definitive in any one rig.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #10,464 of 11,341
Each reviewer has their preference an tolerances, but what I don't like how here at head-fi were pointing at our competitor as being "in-consistent" I'm really happy to have the measurements from both Jude and Tyll, though I would have enjoyed Jude's more if not for him openly putting Tyll and all the others who measure gear down. Worst of all this post is on the FRONT of OUR community!...

Putting Tyll and all the others who measure gear down? Quote where I do this, as that's not what I've done. As for the word "inconsistent," what I said was:

...InnerFidelity's review and measurements of the Sony MDR-Z1R were not consistent with our experiences with that headphone, so we measured two MDR-Z1R's at Head-Fi HQ, and here's what we found.

...Now this description does not match what I have heard, and I've heard a few Sony MDR-Z1R's. I've also measured our Sony MDR-Z1R and it also isn't consistent with that subjective impression or the measurements that Tyll posted....

What did I say about a conclusion from all this?

...What's our conclusion? Right now, we'll assume that perhaps Tyll has an outlier Sony MDR-Z1R. n=3 across two different measurement setups isn't enough to come to a conclusion...

So tell me where I've put down Tyll and all the others who measure gear. That's an absurd interpretation, and nowhere was that said or implied by me.

...Why not just share what you guys measured with us, make a small comment on the differences that you found while doing your measurements and leave it at that. Differences, why did this need to become an issue of "consistency" why do we need to compare? Why do are we working to discredit our competitor?

We did share some information about what we measured with. I did comment on the differences we found while doing our measurements. Our results are not consistent with Tyll's, and that was also said. Nothing I've said discredits Tyll.

Jun 16, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #10,465 of 11,341
Jun 16, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #10,468 of 11,341
^ Great information here Jude! I have to concur with your comments as well with regards to the bass/mid/treble presence of the Z1Rs and this might explain why I've had such a hard time understanding what was posted on innerfidelity as it just didn't jive with what I heard as well. Looking forward to more information as it comes out too. I'm also very interested on your measurement system too...I'll read up on it per your links.Thanks again!

Well all I can say on the Tyll subject is I remember him raving over the 009s and BHSE combo, then a year or so later saying the 009s were 'tizzy treble' and not high end anymore. I dispute that on my Carbon amp and fed by an R-2R DAC. He also often uses EQ as in the Utopia review. And then of course, his DACs change as well between reviews.... It comes down to read the reviews, but get off the couch are try stuff before buying IMO.

Jun 16, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #10,469 of 11,341
For anyone looking to buy these headphones, issues of consistency are very important.
Again, we don't know there are any issues with consistency at all, this is how unsubstantiated rumors get a life of their own.

Jun 16, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #10,470 of 11,341
Each reviewer has their preference an tolerances, but what I don't like how here at head-fi were pointing at our competitor as being "in-consistent" I'm really happy to have the measurements from both Jude and Tyll, though I would have enjoyed Jude's more if not for him openly putting Tyll and all the others who measure gear down. Worst of all this post is on the FRONT of OUR community!

Why not just share what you guys measured with us, make a small comment on the differences that you found while doing your measurements and leave it at that. Differences, why did this need to become an issue of "consistency" why do we need to compare? Why do are we working to discredit our competitor?

I didn't at all get the sense that Jude was putting anybody down. I thought his post was very respectful. It is people taking him out of context that may make the conversation go badly when it really doesn't need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back