The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 7, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #421 of 11,341
I wonder if the magnesium dome is to eliminate that felt disk. There could be a high end peak on the Z7 driver that addresses. In music studio terms, that's where a typical monitor or guitar cabinet speaker has its "dust cover". It's also the brightest part of the speaker. You put your microphone in the speaker center to get a bright sound / out to the edge for more warmth. While a felt disk will soften highs, it never does it in as transparently as "tuning" the actual response of the speaker. Magnesium might do that and dampen some ringing perhaps. I would still like to hear about willing MDR-Z7 owners who will remove the felt disk and record the frequency response then put it back to do the same, and compare the graphs (and tell us how they sound different after doing it).

Sep 7, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #423 of 11,341
Will this be a limited run like the r10 or can I count on it being available new a year later? I don't want to jump the hype train into a pre-order but don't also want to miss out.

Fibonacci patterns sold me

I don't believe that these will be as exclusive as the R10.  Should be on sale for a good amount of time methinks.

Sep 7, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #424 of 11,341

Very interesting.

So even though both the Z7 and Z1R use 70mm drivers, it appears that the Z1R drivers use a completely new and significantly improved design that doesn't appear to share any common parts with the Z7 driver.
beerchug.gif

Sep 7, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #425 of 11,341
The thinner "fractal" baffle in front means less minor reflection / blocked sound. The outer ring of the driver, and the related metal hoops behind it are thinner which may help transient response. Its back plate has narrower plastic arms, and a larger vent behind the center of the driver that may improve internal air flow. Finally, the driver surround is a bit larger, possibly improving flexibility.

Sep 7, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #426 of 11,341
  Video about manufacturing.... 

It's a bit more poetic than practical/technical.

I don't think it was posted before (or if it was, I missed it)

Well, certainly made in Japan! It does look impressive and very serious. Some similarly priced products are made with nowhere near as much precision...
On a side note, I found it funny when the video said Americans [Amerikajin] and subtitles translated that as customers :D Gotta know your target audience, yo! Just kidding of course, but that was a bit amusing :}
Still excited to hear these soon hopefully! 
popcorn.gif

Sep 7, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #427 of 11,341
  Well, certainly made in Japan! It does look impressive and very serious. Some similarly priced products are made with nowhere near as much precision...
On a side note, I found it funny when the video said Americans [Amerikajin] and subtitles translated that as customers :D Gotta know your target audience, yo! Just kidding of course, but that was a bit amusing :}

Good catch.

Sep 7, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #428 of 11,341
As I understand it, we are welcome to start new threads here on Head-Fi.
For those interested in discounting this product before it's arrived, or to direct readers to a different brand entirely, you have every right, and a new thread to start.

Sep 7, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #429 of 11,341
Fibonacci patterns yo
Still excited to hear these soon hopefully! :popcorn:

Sep 7, 2016 at 8:21 PM Post #430 of 11,341
As I understand it, we are welcome to start new threads here on Head-Fi.
For those interested in discounting this product before it's arrived, or to direct readers to a different brand entirely, you have every right, and a new thread to start.

Not all of us are trying to discount the Z1R before its available.

Just that the pricing already puts it far out of range for some. As someone who pre-ordered the Z7, its disheartening to see Sony's latest so overpriced (and, as I stated earlier, for no clear reason).

Others will still buy the Z1R which is exactly why Sony upped the price; easy as printing money. I assume those buyers will feel better about their purchase knowing that fewer are being sold.

Guess I'll redirect my attention back toward the Elear (hell, even the Ether Flow is less expensive; though still out of range). Not because they might sound any better but because Sony's twisted math has already made the decision for me (like a game that ends before it even starts; no fun).

Sep 7, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #431 of 11,341
Point well taken gr8sounz! As a happy Z7 owner, I can understand you may feel it hurts to think Sony had something else planned to up the bar in headphones. As I understood from becoming a recent head-fi member, the phones I chose are considered in the top of the mid to the "competitive" lower upper range cans.
I'm pretty sure Sony did push the sound further with their newest series. And that should be noticeable.
Please don't think I was pointing to you in my last post. I'm generalizing across many pages of thread responses to the offering by Sony.
Heck, I can't afford them either; maybe yet if I really save...
Good ears, my friend,
Fullranger

Sep 7, 2016 at 9:46 PM Post #432 of 11,341
Its not about how you validate your purchase. It's abouy how companies charge too much for a headphone.

If you knew what vendors paid for the Utopia you'd be shocked. An example...
The Airist Heron launched at 2k. It is now half the price MSRP and at 750 on Massdrop, Massdrop still gets some profit even at that price.

How much did it cost to make the Heron??? Prob 350 - 500 or less.

The Liquid carbon is very inexpensive to make. You know for sure this headphone is easily about 1/6th of the MSRP to make. R&D still would only bring it up to about 1/4th. I mean come on its metal stips paper and plastic. There are tons of things that cost way more to make and design. Video game consoles, Mopeds, speakers that sound even better for under a 1k a pair amd so forth.

For petes sake open a headphone... Its gotta be the cash cow of the audio world.. Cheap parts, cheap shipping, cheap materials....

We are all suckers and make a market for them. Yet as opposed to other hobbies it's easier to sell your gear. Look for deals etc and don't feel bad when you get a discount cause this crap is all overpriced plastic. Since the best cost so much, then buy away until something comes along to disrupt the trend. But everyone is greedy especially those buying this gear, myself included, so it will never change.

Hopefully a greedy person realizes that if you lower the price and make a product so good it can make other uber expensive gear sound obsolete then you make more money from selling more products.

As most Sony headphones, I doubt the Z1R will hold its MSRP for long so sit tight if you can. As for me... I'll keep being a sucker...

Sep 7, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #433 of 11,341
the video said Americans [Amerikajin] and subtitles translated that as customers

Where?
Didn't hear amerikajin, only okyakusama(customer).

Sep 8, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #434 of 11,341
BTW, there is a signature version coming out for pre order on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01KOE8DKU
Supposed to have engineer's signature on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back