The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 7, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #9,976 of 11,341
He hated my beloved K812, hates my Z1Rs, and loves the Utopias, which left me fairly nonplussed at CanJam. He doesn't seem to care much for the LCD-4s either, which I like... I think it's fair to say at this point, we are opposites. Whatever. Love the jerky bit of provocation at the end with ATH MX50s though. Sony engineers will be pleased to know that in Mr. Tyll's opinion, their TOTL flagship is not worth more than a $100-odd pair of hp!

Listening to these Röyksopp masterpieces with my Z1Rs... and loving every second of it!

These are awesome sounding on my Z1Rs! Thanks @EDN80
This is the best idea I've heard on this thread since you know who pooped all over my beloved Z1Rs.
Why don't we post some more of our favorite tracks we like to listen with our Z1Rs?? I know you got some... Would love to hear them!

Jun 7, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #9,978 of 11,341
His "professional" opinion? Professional? What is the accreditation agency? He was a microscope salesman a few years ago, before he ran Headroom into the ground.

accreditation isn't required in order to become a professional photographer, writer or a musician for example. tyll is employed by an online audio publication to review headphones, which makes him a professional reviewer.

and please leave the unedifying personal attacks out of the discussion - thanks

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2017 at 12:24 AM Post #9,979 of 11,341
I have not watched Tyll's review yet, but as a reputable reviewer in this community, comparing
a TOTL headphone to a much less price one is kind of insult to the manufacture, don't you think.
Considering the time Sony R&D put in this headphone. A least respect to them is not overly asked..

agree...imo he lost some credibility preferring the mx50s. ...like seriously.

Agreed. Takuma Tomoaki san, Yashiro Shogo san, Shunsuke Shiomi san & SONY R&D, your $2300 Z1Rs are worth less than a $150 Mx50!!! So disrespectful.

Tyll takes on SQ of Z1R was absurd(and so with k812, which i disagree with his assessment)

Agreed about the K812, though I don't regret them now, because while I still had them, prefered the Z1R to them by far, even for classical.

Well, in the not-too-distant past, Tyll was trampling on LCD4s to extol Utopias... then Bob Katz and his cadre of recording engineers unanimously favored LCD4 over Utopias. Then the measuring neuroses kicked in, with Tyll ultimately declaring his Utopia unit was an anomaly. Madcap fun! Proclamations, justifications and retractions, and audiophile sleuthing on the fly!

Didn't get that LCD-4 review either. Much prefer them to the Utopias.

Jun 7, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #9,982 of 11,341
Looks like Tyll does not like any TOTL closed headphones - he made a similar statement with the Ether C flow - "it was pretty clearly a more neutral sound, but it was also sometimes the case that I would have preferred listening to the other cans, though less neutral, for their somewhat smoother and gentler on the ears character (ATH-M50x, NAD VISO HP50, and Oppo PM3)"

Jun 7, 2017 at 12:57 AM Post #9,983 of 11,341
Looks like Tyll does not like any TOTL closed headphones - he made a similar statement with the Ether C flow - "it was pretty clearly a more neutral sound, but it was also sometimes the case that I would have preferred listening to the other cans, though less neutral, for their somewhat smoother and gentler on the ears character (ATH-M50x, NAD VISO HP50, and Oppo PM3)"
P7W on his wall.

Jun 7, 2017 at 1:32 AM Post #9,985 of 11,341
I recommend Herbie Hancock's album DIS IS DA DRUM on the Z1R.

Jun 7, 2017 at 1:33 AM Post #9,986 of 11,341
At the end of the day you love the z1r or you dont I remember loving my focal elears until I listened to the z1r yes i do think there is a slight slight veil over the vocals on the z1r but female vocals come off amazing. Compairing it with the focal elear the z1r clearly has a better seperation of instruments N.W. A's Real Ni**gas from the straight out of compton soundtrack shows this in a very obvious matter.

Jun 7, 2017 at 3:39 AM Post #9,987 of 11,341
Nice cans, deeeeep bass; the zingy high also is hiiiigh. Tyll, Sony is much better than M50, please.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #9,988 of 11,341
20170607_101659.jpg 20170607_101708.jpg

Hi everyone, I have a Sony Kimber cable and I want to reterminate the dual 3.5mm jacks to an XLR4. I assume that the wires covered in the darker material are + and the ones in the transparent are - . Anyone experience with this and able to confirm? Thanks!

Jun 7, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #9,989 of 11,341

Hi everyone, I have a Sony Kimber cable and I want to reterminate the dual 3.5mm jacks to an XLR4. I assume that the wires covered in the darker material are + and the ones in the transparent are - . Anyone experience with this and able to confirm? Thanks!

Get a cheap digital multimeter for like 10 bucks and use the needles to test the pins and wire on either end for continuity and you'll know for sure.

In fact any one who DIY cables should own a cheap multimeter, it's an essential tool.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back