The official smart speaker discussion and review thread

Do you think that the Apple HomePod will get the audiophile stamp of approval?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 6, 2017 at 6:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Double-A

Formerly known as KingOfTheWild.
Hello everybody, what do you think of Apple's upcoming smart speaker? Does it look worthy of the audiophile stamp of approval? Post your thoughts!

I'm hoping it isn't using Beats audio technology . . .

EDIT: I have decided to expand this thread into a discussion and review thread for all smart speakers.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2017 at 9:21 AM Post #6 of 8
I may want to try the Echo Dot. I know that a $50 speaker wouldn't be audiophile grade, but can anybody tell me how it sounds for it's price point? As long as it sounds better and gets louder than the speaker on my iPhone 6 (which I'm sure it does), I would be happy.

I think this is a cool feature:

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/06/27/amazon-echo-intercom-feature-update/

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 6:06 PM Post #7 of 8
I've had the Dot for a short while now (not sure exactly how long). It definitely isn't an audiophile speaker, and I only ever use Apple Music to listen to music, which the Dot (obviously) can't access except for through bluetooth, but other than those imperfections, the Dot is a very nice "toes in the water" device.

It has convinced me that I want to purchase the full size Echo, which I just did. That'll give me improved sound quality over the Dot. It'll keep me satisfied until I can afford Apple's HomePod.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #8 of 8
I've had my Echo since Wednesday, and I am enjoying it so far. It is a definite step up from the Dot. My Disney-loving girlfriend played "Evermore" by Dan Stevens from the new Beauty and the Beast soundtrack on volume 8 and it sounded amazing (though a big reason for that could be that Stevens has an amazing singing voice). I did hear some rattling (not sure if that is the best word) with "Ascension" by Dead Can Dance at, I believe, volume level 5 or 6. But it is only a $180 speaker, and if there were any song that would cause distortion in a speaker, this would be one of them. I can't remember if I could hear this effect with headphones. Maybe I'll have to try listening to it with headphones and see if it is just the song.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back