The Official Sennheiser IE800S thread!
Jan 12, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #1,145 of 1,278
I really don't have idea because I don't know how much powerful is the AMP8 by iBasso.
This amp is able to supply power to the Sennheiser HD800, therefore it is very good to supply power to the IE800S.

Jan 12, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #1,147 of 1,278
IE800S are easy to drive IEMs so ZX300 will be more than enough to drive them which makes me think there is something strange with their balanced cables, not giving a full sound like the SE one, at least this is what I hear by using them with a ZX2.

Jan 12, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #1,148 of 1,278
IE800S are easy to drive IEMs so ZX300 will be more than enough to drive them which makes me think there is something strange with their balanced cables, not giving a full sound like the SE one, at least this is what I hear by using them with a ZX2.
Well, for a balanced cable it is rather lightweight.perhaps that contributes to the perceived discrepancy

Jan 12, 2020 at 11:08 AM Post #1,149 of 1,278
I had the Sony ZX300 and the iBasso (which is more and more powerful) unlocks all the potential of the IE800S. Please try, I will never go back.

Jan 12, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #1,150 of 1,278
I had the Sony ZX300 and the iBasso (which is more and more powerful) unlocks all the potential of the IE800S. Please try, I will never go back.
You're entitled to your own opinion ofcourse, but Sony's Walkmans are to many listeners far superior than these iBasso's, which are made by conjoining parts that many manufacturers use. The Sony's are all designed in-house by Sony; amps are their own, connections are their own,... and just having one in your hands and compare it to the iBasso, the quality difference is already blatantly obvious.
It's like comparing an Aston Martin (Sony) to a Ford GT (iBasso) imo.

Being satisfied with Sony's sound quality and looking at other audio players on the market, the rest just seems sub-standard by the mere looks of it. I would, in the present day, not consider another DAP manufacturer than Sony.

Having looked at the iBassoDX220, I'm not in the least compelled to try it out.
With Sony players, it's another story. They are alluring.

On topic with the IE800S; these look alluring too. Understated, but once you feel them, it's obvious that these are German quality. As it is obvious that Sony Premium Walkmans are Japanese quality as opposed to Chinese (even though China is progressing)

But every set of ears and eyes is different ofcourse.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #1,151 of 1,278
You're entitled to your own opinion ofcourse, but Sony's Walkmans are to many listeners far superior than these iBasso's, which are made by conjoining parts that many manufacturers use. The Sony's are all designed in-house by Sony; amps are their own, connections are their own,... and just having one in your hands and compare it to the iBasso, the quality difference is already blatantly obvious.
It's like comparing an Aston Martin (Sony) to a Ford GT (iBasso) imo.

Being satisfied with Sony's sound quality and looking at other audio players on the market, the rest just seems sub-standard by the mere looks of it. I would, in the present day, not consider another DAP manufacturer than Sony.

Having looked at the iBassoDX220, I'm not in the least compelled to try it out.
With Sony players, it's another story. They are alluring.

On topic with the IE800S; these look alluring too. Understated, but once you feel them, it's obvious that these are German quality. As it is obvious that Sony Premium Walkmans are Japanese quality as opposed to Chinese (even though China is progressing)

But every set of ears and eyes is different ofcourse.
The fact that a DAP has more listeners is one thing. The fact that another DAP sounds better is another thing.
I used the Sony ZX300 for awhile (1.5 year) and I was satisfied. After trying the iBasso DX220 I was stunned by the totally different soundstage, audio definition and overall quality.
I don't agree with your comments but I totally respect your opinion.

Just for (all) your information: I bought the Sennheiser IE800S when I had the Sony ZX300 and the difference with the DX200 is like night&day. Just my opinion.

Jan 12, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #1,152 of 1,278
The fact that a DAP has more listeners is one thing. The fact that another DAP sounds better is another thing.
I used the Sony ZX300 for awhile (1.5 year) and I was satisfied. After trying the iBasso DX220 I was stunned by the totally different soundstage, audio definition and overall quality.
I don't agree with your comments but I totally respect your opinion.

Just for (all) your information: I bought the Sennheiser IE800S when I had the Sony ZX300 and the difference with the DX200 is like night&day. Just my opinion.
Yeah, your experience vastly varies from mine.

I remember prior to my IE800S purchase that you said your ZX300 made the IE800S distorted some times. While I have found my ZX300 drives the IE800S like a breeze without any distortion.

Jan 12, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #1,154 of 1,278
Well, the DX220 is no doubt more powerful than ZX300 but the size, battery life and sluggish UI are deal breakers for me.
But I'm really curious if the lack of power is causing the difference between balanced cables and the SE one.
So, with Amp8, you're getting a fuller sound with the 4.4mm cable vs the 3.5mm one?

Jan 12, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #1,155 of 1,278
Well, the DX220 is no doubt more powerful than ZX300 but the size, battery life and sluggish UI are deal breakers for me.
But I'm really curious if the lack of power is causing the difference between balanced cables and the SE one.
So, with Amp8, you're getting a fuller sound with the 4.4mm cable vs the 3.5mm one?

I'm sorry to repeat, but the DX220 is in another level, it's impossible to compare the Sony ZX300 and the DX220.
I get a very stunning audio quality with the 4.4mm cable. Since the AMP8 is only balanced amp, I use the IE800S with a permanent cable 4.4mm.
When I want to hear something on my laptop, then I use the "4.4mm to 3.5mm single ended" converter by FiiO (LL 4.4).
For me there is no sense anymore to use the single ended, really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back