The Official Sennheiser IE800S thread!
Nov 7, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #1,097 of 1,278
Again; no conclusion as things will change (burn-in), but right now I cannot understand why these IEM's have gotten so much negative publicity. Very enjoyable right out of the box, if only violins sound a bit sharp for now.

Nov 7, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #1,099 of 1,278
I don't know about all of you, but I think it's a pretty handsome couple
20191107_163223.jpg

Nov 7, 2019 at 11:22 AM Post #1,100 of 1,278
Again; no conclusion as things will change (burn-in), but right now I cannot understand why these IEM's have gotten so much negative publicity. Very enjoyable right out of the box, if only violins sound a bit sharp for now.
Because they don't have that kind of energy to make you say "wow" right out of the box. It's said to be more an acquired taste.
But very curious if you'll test the Xelento also, I was in the same boat as you but never got the chance to audition the Xelento.

Nov 7, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #1,101 of 1,278
Because they don't have that kind of energy to make you say "wow" right out of the box. It's said to be more an acquired taste.
But very curious if you'll test the Xelento also, I was in the same boat as you but never got the chance to audition the Xelento.
No, I haven't auditioned them. Because of two things; the mentioned drop between sub (mid?) Bass and mids. And the larger fit.
I figured I like tiny IEMs too much.

Nov 8, 2019 at 2:13 AM Post #1,104 of 1,278
It has just the right amount of everything and sounds very natural.

Nov 10, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #1,106 of 1,278
Hello there,
Just dropped by to get your opinion on IE800 vs IE800s again.. I have a pair of Beyerdynamic AK T8ie MK II and Momentum True Wireless that I use daily on my way to and from work. I love the T8's sound profile for my usual genres of korean pop, electronic pop, EDM, and typically top 50 songs.

Now, there is a -30% discount for the IE800 which lowers the price to about USD 550 and -15% discount for the IE800s with a discounted price tag of about USD 1,000. My question is do you think the price difference is worth the upgrade? Or is it an upgrade at all?

I typically love fun, engaging sound and I loved the IE800 when I demo-ed it today. Unfortunately, the store didn't carry IE800s models. However, reviews have suggested that the IE800s is milder/more neutral than the IE800. I also don't use balanced connection for now.

Two ways of looking at it is: 1) Get IE800, save some cash and get a similar sound to the T8 but with more treble emphasis and less bass emphasis.
2) Get IE800s but risk the sound being too neutral/balanced that I put it away for not being exciting enough. (I also own the ER4S which I think is pretty boring. Treble detail is nice but lack of bass is a deal breaker.)

What do you think?

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #1,107 of 1,278
I never had the IE800 but I strongly suggest to take into account the IE800S, I compared them against other iem's and I definitely like the clearness, punch, details and huge soundstage of the IE800S. They are just impressive.

Nov 10, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #1,108 of 1,278
Hello there,
Just dropped by to get your opinion on IE800 vs IE800s again.. I have a pair of Beyerdynamic AK T8ie MK II and Momentum True Wireless that I use daily on my way to and from work. I love the T8's sound profile for my usual genres of korean pop, electronic pop, EDM, and typically top 50 songs.

Now, there is a -30% discount for the IE800 which lowers the price to about USD 550 and -15% discount for the IE800s with a discounted price tag of about USD 1,000. My question is do you think the price difference is worth the upgrade? Or is it an upgrade at all?

I typically love fun, engaging sound and I loved the IE800 when I demo-ed it today. Unfortunately, the store didn't carry IE800s models. However, reviews have suggested that the IE800s is milder/more neutral than the IE800. I also don't use balanced connection for now.

Two ways of looking at it is: 1) Get IE800, save some cash and get a similar sound to the T8 but with more treble emphasis and less bass emphasis.
2) Get IE800s but risk the sound being too neutral/balanced that I put it away for not being exciting enough. (I also own the ER4S which I think is pretty boring. Treble detail is nice but lack of bass is a deal breaker.)

What do you think?
I have them both for 2 months and I must say, if you’re not using balanced, there’s hardly any drastic difference between them. I’d say the vocals is slightly bit more forward on the S but still not mid centric. You do have to be worried about the cables of the 800 being prone to stiffing overtime and the microphonics is worse on the 800.

Nov 10, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #1,109 of 1,278
I chose to sell the original 800 since I get more flexibility in using 800S due to the ability to go balanced and inclusion of balanced cables right out of the box.

Nov 11, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #1,110 of 1,278
The special thing of the IE800S (also applicable to the IE800) is that there is not any foam between the dynamic driver and your ear channel. This is a big plus because each diaphragm excitation is felt with something like a 3D imaging. I don't know how to express this concept but I feel air moving (with some gentle pressure) through my ear channel for each touch of the strings, for each beat it the drums, it's something that other iem's are not able to do. That's why the IE800S is my ultimate in-ear.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back